DIY Windscreens

Shadow_7

Any tips?

There's options I want commercially like the WindTech 2100's Navy Blue, WindTech 74169 military, some Rycote Wind Jammers White. BUT I can't seem to find any local stores that carry them to see if they fit my mics. And even non-local ones don't seem to carry the specific model and color I want. SamAsh, Kennedys Engineering, Guitar Center, Radio Shack. So I guess it's up to me to make my own. I've tried emailing some of the above to get no response several business days, and even weeks later.

The Mics: Avenson STO-2's stereo pair. The Avenson guy told me 0.3" in width cylinder shaped. And that Lavalier windscreens should fit 0.250". I got some Radio Shack tie clip mic windscreens and they fit (after much coaxing). But don't really do much for wind noise. Under 5mph and sure there's an improvement. Over 5mph and you might as well not even use them.

I live in an area where 30-60mph sustained winds are typical depending on the time of the year. In the dead of summer when it's 110F there's NO WIND. But Spring and Fall, loads of wind all the time.

So IF I were to go to Hobby Lobby and buy stuff, what should I get? I already have a dremel tool. And a kit with most of the attachments that go with one. I've noticed some windscreens with a sort of dense foam towards the mic, less dense away and a furry sheeth. So what do I need to all but get rid of wind noise? Or should I just depend on plugins to edit it out?

Initial thoughts were to just get a couple of bozo noses and hollow out an insert shaft for the mics to fit into. Other thoughts of some sort of collapseable cloth covered sphere to surround my stereo pair on the mic stand. I will be recording outdoors. I will likely have the mics at elevation. Part of my choice to go with the Avensons was their smaller profile. Which apparently isn't enough to lessen the wind noise as much as I had hoped.

Thanks

Did you come up with anything? I was just thinking about trying a couple clown noses for a couple MXL 603's I have.

Umm...why not just order them online? Full compass has them for about $5. Or you could try socks.:)

Oh. Thanks. I had been looking unsuccessfully for screens specifically for the 603 based on most screens I've seen seem to be for specific models. Also, most seem to be more expensive...

Instructables

I am new to the forum, but if you do a search on instructables.com you can find a good how-to that explains how to make your own wind-screens and the final product looks pretty good too.

Back