Screw it, I'm moving to Oakland CA

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
So I went to Oakland for a month visiting some friends, just got back last week. Anyway... My income is going to take a huge dive beginning January 1st so I am selling my house and (almost) everything I own, throwing the animals in the car and moving to Oakland.

It's going to be a bit of a transition moving from a 2700 SQft 4bedroom to a 600sqft one-bedroom - but I'm tired of this backwoods, conservative, strip mall culture-less 105 degree hellhole... I wouldn't be able to afford my house after the new year anyway so screw it.

It's going to be hectic selling all my crap... anyway -

Hows everyone doin? long time no see! :)

Woah dude, that's a big move. You know they got earthquakes out there right?

Yeah, I like solid ground, but I'm just rotting away here in the Suburbs. Kids are grown and gone, time to get back out in the world, even if it is going to fall into the Pacific ocean. :)

You might want to do some research on Oakland before you move, just to be sure that the city isn't on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. It seems to be a new trend in California.

Move to Colorado man. Way cheaper! :)

Really? I hadn't noticed. Oh yeah, I'm in Boulder. Actually it is cheaper than Orange County, and you can see the mountains more often. Actually, you can see 100 miles here more often than you can see 10 miles there. We get over three hundred sunny days a year, though some are -10°F.

Can you post a few pictures of Another Dimension? Maybe it's not as bad there as you think it is.

Really? I hadn't noticed. Oh yeah, I'm in Boulder. Actually it is cheaper than Orange County, and you can see the mountains more often. Actually, you can see 100 miles here more often than you can see 10 miles there. We get over three hundred sunny days a year, though some are -10°F.

Yeah, depending on the location in Cali, the price for property is really rediculous. In Escondido, a friend of mine pays $2200 per month to rent a 1200 square foot home. I bought my 2000 square foot home in Westminster for $220,000. It is only worth around $175 now that the market is crap, but I really don't care. I'm staying here. The basement is exactly half of the total, and it's all my studio space. The same house in Cali would likely be $350,000, of course that would include a pool.

Don't forget the rare times we have two weeks a year over 95.

There is nothing like Boulder for 85 degree days, with sunshine, lightning, rain and snow, all in the same day. Often all at the same time.

I love this town! By the way, for those who don't know, I am 15 miles from Boulder.

I'm down man. Would love to share a beer with you!

I live just south of Standley lake. In Boulder working on a regular basis. Denver as my location, is just so when I get death threats from freaks in the cave, they have to actually work to find me. :)

What food types do you like?

I'm down man. Would love to share a beer with you!

I live just south of Standley lake. In Boulder working on a regular basis. Denver as my location, is just so when I get death threats from freaks in the cave, they have to actually work to find me. :)

What food types do you like?

Check your PMs.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with Jimmy at his house (and studio) about a year ago. I also drove through Boulder on my way to Estes Park. Very nice area. I could see myself living up there.

Yeah, depending on the location in Cali, the price for property is really rediculous. In Escondido, a friend of mine pays $2200 per month to rent a 1200 square foot home. I bought my 2000 square foot home in Westminster for $220,000. It is only worth around $175 now that the market is crap, but I really don't care. I'm staying here. The basement is exactly half of the total, and it's all my studio space. The same house in Cali would likely be $350,000, of course that would include a pool.

Don't forget the rare times we have two weeks a year over 95.

There is nothing like Boulder for 85 degree days, with sunshine, lightning, rain and snow, all in the same day. Often all at the same time.

I love this town! By the way, for those who don't know, I am 15 miles from Boulder.

Where I want to move in Oakland, that is what the rent would be. The house I live in now in Oakland off Piedmont Ave would be about 1.5m if you lost the yard, another 500k if you wanted the same yard. But I don't need a 2700 sqft home (with an indoor pool)... I love my house but I don't need all this space and after the end of the year I can't afford it anyway. Hell we spend all our time in the bedroom or kitchen, and the studio obviously :X - that is the only thing that will be difficult, not having my studio, I will have a set-up but it will probably be the living room of the apt. and will have to keep volume down to reasonable levels :(

I need a more culture driven community, side-walk cafe's, coffee houses, great restaurants, book stores, art galleries, good local music scene all walking distance from my front door. I want to get back into painting and just make music and art and hang out with cool people. I don't really fit in with the Atlantians. I'm looking for a 2-bedroom apt for around $1300. I think were going to buy an RV and drive it out there then sell it after we find a place. We have a lot of animals so makes it easier to transport.

Jimmy maybe we pass through Denver on the way out there - have the check the route - we could stop by and hang out - there are a ton of RV camps in that area and we are going to be using campsites the whole way. Currently targeting mid-Sept but have to try and sell this house first which will be hard because the market has dropped some the past 2 years.

This is Piedmont Ave where I would prefer to be hanging out - just click down the map to walk down the street, theres a ton of good food, a theater, groceries, books, music, the whole area is really cool.

So I went to Oakland for a month visiting some friends, just got back last week. Anyway... My income is going to take a huge dive beginning January 1st so I am selling my house and (almost) everything I own, throwing the animals in the car and moving to Oakland.

That's cool, man!
I like adventure, it keeps life interesting.
Good luck!

You are more than welcome to come hang out when you stop through. You can have my driveway.

Would be fun to jam as well, we can throw down a tune. My kit is always setup and mic'd. :)

I need a more culture driven community, side-walk cafe's, coffee houses, great restaurants, book stores, art galleries, good local music scene all walking distance from my front door. I want to get back into painting and just make music and art and hang out with cool people.

You should give Austin some serious consideration. It gets a little warm in the summer, but not humid like ATL.

I need a more culture driven community, side-walk cafe's, coffee houses, great restaurants, book stores, art galleries, good local music scene all walking distance from my front door.

That sounds like Little Five Points, the couple times I was in Atlanta :p

I think were going to buy an RV and drive it out there then sell it after we find a place. We have a lot of animals so makes it easier to transport.

Awesome idea. You guys should totally take your time and do a big road trip.

Back