Strange Reaper behavior after Windows update

mjbphotos

Windows 10 did an update this past week. Today, when using Reaper, I found the mouse clicking way too 'sensitive' - clicking once, and it was acting as if I clicked twice on many things, and other times clicking didn't do anything.
Maybe the latest Reaper update will fix? I haven't bothered with it yet.

I haven't used Reaper in the last few days since my latest Windows 10 update, so I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the heads up.

I lost the webcam after the latest Windows 10 update so I uninstalled the update and all was fine again. There were no problems with Reaper as far as I could tell in the short time I used it with the update.

Windows 10 did an update this past week. Today, when using Reaper, I found the mouse clicking way too 'sensitive' - clicking once, and it was acting as if I clicked twice on many things, and other times clicking didn't do anything.
Maybe the latest Reaper update will fix? I haven't bothered with it yet.
Check your mouse settings to see if the update messed with them.

My Win 10 Home PC is not experiencing anything unusual in itself or in Reaper.

Possibly a mouse failure ..? My wired mouse got quirky like that about 18 months back so I bought a wired trackball and that's been functioning well.

I'm in the "no issues" camp. I'm up to date on the latest, and just fired up Reaper. Everything is running normally. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse.

I'm also in the "no issues" camp.

I await the results of each upgrade in mortal terror, but each time my fears have been groundless.

I unplugged the mouse, it didn't do change anything.
Went to advance Windows mouse settings, slowed the 'double click' speed, that helped a bit, but still get 'double click' actions when I only click the mouse once - like clicking the timeline to add a marker will select a region on the timeline at the same time. This behavior only happens in Reaper

I just did all the updates to my recording system last night. First thing I did was fire up Reaper and load a project to make sure nothing had changed. All was fine. I'm on 21H2.

Zero issues at all. I pulled up two different projects, did a little editing on the second, adjusting pan, volume and some effects.

I did have an issue last week with my laptop mouse. It wouldn't take any clicks. Seems I wore the dang thing out! If you hit the button just right, it would work.
$15 at the local Staples fixed the problem.

Now I can say that I ran into a problem. I was working on a project from a video, editing the audio to add back to the video track and everything suddenly started getting distorted, it got noisy and then Reaper went wonky. Meters were bouncing randomly, and I couldn't stop playback. I closed Reaper, restarted and got to the point that I could render the file, and got the video done. I thought maybe it had something to do with using the video file and moved on.

Yesterday, I was working on a recording with just 4 tracks, only 3 or 4 minutes long. It had an MT POwerdrumkit track, and a guitar, bass, and vocal track. Only a couple of plugins (stock ReaEQ and Comp) and a reverb and zero track edits. Everything was simple. Suddenly things got distorted on playback, meters bounced and I was stuck.

I tried resetting the Tascam interface, as it seemed it might be an ASIO issue, since Windows audio seemed to work just fine. I've deleted and reinstalled the V4.0 drivers, and have been able to work the file, did a bit of editing and haven't had an issue since.

Hopefully things will continue to work. I'm still running Reaper 5.99, since my license was for versions 4 & 5 so I know it's not a due to a Reaper update.

Now I can say that I ran into a problem. I was working on a project from a video, editing the audio to add back to the video track and everything suddenly started getting distorted, it got noisy and then Reaper went wonky. Meters were bouncing randomly, and I couldn't stop playback. I closed Reaper, restarted and got to the point that I could render the file, and got the video done. I thought maybe it had something to do with using the video file and moved on.

Yesterday, I was working on a recording with just 4 tracks, only 3 or 4 minutes long. It had an MT POwerdrumkit track, and a guitar, bass, and vocal track. Only a couple of plugins (stock ReaEQ and Comp) and a reverb and zero track edits. Everything was simple. Suddenly things got distorted on playback, meters bounced and I was stuck.

I tried resetting the Tascam interface, as it seemed it might be an ASIO issue, since Windows audio seemed to work just fine. I've deleted and reinstalled the V4.0 drivers, and have been able to work the file, did a bit of editing and haven't had an issue since.

Hopefully things will continue to work. I'm still running Reaper 5.99, since my license was for versions 4 & 5 so I know it's not a due to a Reaper update.
Yeah, that sounds like corrupt driver files.

The issue cropped up again the other night with the driver reinstalled. Now I'm wondering if it is really a symptom of the update after reading about issues with USB printers after the lastest updates.

The KB5015807 update, which rolled out on July 12 and includes OS Builds 19042.1826, 19043.1826, and 19044.1826 all have a glitch that affects printers connected to computers running Windows 10. After the update is installed, you might see multiple printer listings available when you only have one product.

Indeed, Microsoft has added a new item to the list of known issues in Windows 10, version 21H1, and it has to do with USB-connected printers. The issue says "Printing to USB-connected printers might fail," and describes exactly the symptoms above: duplicated entries for the printers, and a failure to print from applications that describe the printer by name.

It makes you wonder if it's just printers that are an issue.

The weird thing is that is primarily seems to be using ASIO with Reaper. When playing files via VLC player, or Windows media player, the problem hasn't shown up. Very strange.

Still no problems here with Reaper/Win 10/Win 11 stuff. Actually, a problem I've been experiencing for several years has gotten a lot better. Windows 10 monthly cumulative updates were disabling my Tascam driver every update. That improved to every other update last year. Now the past three updates have not disabled my driver.

Glad your mouse problem is solved.

Back