midi fader control

Richard Curran

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a midi fader control for adding expression to orchestral samples.
Most I can find are either huge and expensive, or small and expensive with a rake of features I'll never use.
There doesn't seem to be anything out there that is just a couple of assignable faders. Anyone know of anything?

Look up creative control - little blocks of controllers you build up - featured in this video. This is Guy Michelmore and he is a great - and totally British mad musician and composer,

If something like the Korg Nano is too big for you, there are a few small builders of simple knob and fader controllers that range from single knob to 8 faders.

This builder looks interesting but would depend on how often you need to change the mapping. They use an online tool using a Chrome browser on either Windows or OSX. Some even smaller builders can be found on Etsy. Many of these are less than $100.
TheMidiMaker

Screen Shot 06-17-22 at 07.14 AM.JPG

I use both a PreSonus Faderport (v1) which is a motorized fader with Transport controls along with a Nektar Panorama P1 control surface with Reaper. There is a video that also popped up on my feed the other day that might help too.

I enjoy using a Frontier Alphatrack when I want to be able to adjust a physical fader. It works well in Reaper if you use the third party software plug-in. I think the Presonus Faderport is the nearest current equivalent to the Alphatrack.

I cannot do this on a touch screen - it's far too easy to move off track and glitch your input. Look how accurate you need to be mixing on a pad on the remotes - a knob or fader that is tactile is vital for me - my master keyboard has a volume touch strip and I hate it - real moving controls please every time.

If something like the Korg Nano is too big for you, there are a few small builders of simple knob and fader controllers that range from single knob to 8 faders.

This builder looks interesting but would depend on how often you need to change the mapping. They use an online tool using a Chrome browser on either Windows or OSX. Some even smaller builders can be found on Etsy. Many of these are less than $100.
TheMidiMaker

View attachment 119082
They actually look like exactly what I'm after. The reason I don't need to get masses of features is because the only thing I will use them for is putting expression into vi strings when I arrange. I then go on to record them with real instruments so it really is just for a guide track.

Back