How would you go about connecting an analog mixer to a daw?

pdub06

I recently purchased my first mixing console, a Mackie 1604vlz, for use with my band live. However, I would also like to be able to use it in my home recording studio. I want to be able to use it after the audios sent to my DAW so I can use it to mix and master. I only have a basic audio interface, a focusrite scarlett 2i2, and my DAW of choice is FL Studio. can somebody help me with understanding what I need to do, or if I need to get another interface some suggestions as to which. I'm strapped for cash at the moment so if possible, some cheap alternatives?

Well. There about a hundred ways to go about it. My system is probably a bit overkill for your Mackie but I run an Alesis HD24 in/ot of a MOTU 828ES bewteen a Tascam M-3500 and a computer. You need an interface with enough gozintas/ gozoutas to accommodate your needs. Something like a Behringer UMC 1820 would give you 8 inputs and outputs right out of the box and its expandable up tp 8 more channels foe a total of 16.

At my friend's studio, where I'm essentially the house engineer, there's a Tascam M-2600 Mk II and a MOTU interface system with a PCIe 424, 24i and 2408 Mk II. The mixer is equipped with tape input and output, but I use the inserts to feed the 24i. The stereo output of the 24i feeds a pair of channels on the mixer, and a pair of the analog outputs of the 2408 feed an aux return. I use the input to the channels so I can feed aux sends (monitors, headphone feeds), and I use the input to the aux return for mixdown so I don't have a lot of unnecessary circuitry (like eq) in the path.

I still have two 2408mkII's. Fining a computer that'll take the 424 PCI cards is hard

I was surprised to actually find something like this.. and there's even a hand-drawn schematic for making all the proper connections!

Skip on down to the 8:39 mark for the schematic :

Update: I received the mixer and 4/16 channels are broken. i had to return it and am on the look for another mixer, any recommendations for something suitable for my needs? thanks guys

I recently purchased my first mixing console, a Mackie 1604vlz, for use with my band live. However, I would also like to be able to use it in my home recording studio. I want to be able to use it after the audios sent to my DAW so I can use it to mix and master. I only have a basic audio interface, a focusrite scarlett 2i2, and my DAW of choice is FL Studio. can somebody help me with understanding what I need to do, or if I need to get another interface some suggestions as to which. I'm strapped for cash at the moment so if possible, some cheap alternatives?

You either run the two stereo outputs into the Scarlett - or run the direct out of Chanels 1 & 2 to the Scarletts Mic pres - in either case you got to gain stage you inputs correctly - or you get massive distortion - that means leveling you outputs to the inputs..

Back