DR-40 and DP-008EX Recording Questions

mortstiff

I'm thinking of upgrading from the DR-40 to the DP-008EX. To date, I've had a lot of luck recording my music with the former (my Departure Street music available on Bandcamp), but would like to start overdubbing and mixing tracks. Here are my questions:

1. If I use the DP's internal mics, how does the recording quality compare with the DR's in X-Y position? Is using the internal mics option with the DP the same process as using those of the DR? (I want the recorder as stand-alone - I don't want to plug any inputs directly into it for recording, at least for the present).

2. My overdubbing question for the DR - Let's say I would like to record one guitar track on the SDMI card. Then I would like to overdub a piano track, but I need to hear the guitar track while I'm overdubbing. Is that possible, and if so, how?

3. Regarding the recording of separate tracks with the DP, a similar question as no. 2. If I record, say, my first track (guitar) and want to add a second track (piano), can I hear track 1 playing while I'm recording track 2? If so, how? And if the answer is 'no' to questions 2 & 3, is there an alternative solution?

Thanks.

I started out with a DP-008EX. The internal mics are ok, I had much better results with an external mic though. Yes, if I understand you correctly you can play back one track and record another. You can down load the manual for the DP-008EX, it tells you how to do it.

The DRT-40 is a fine stereo recorder, as are the two Zooms I have, but if I want to record and mix, especially with overdubs, then they're not that convenient and it's a bit of a faff. I'm sure the multitrack is a nice bit of kit, and my friend has one - but I just can't imagine not recording in a DAW for the endless expansion, and flexibility. My friend was a die-hard analogue man who had a hard time converting to computers, so for him, digital multitrack, with his old way of working with drops ins and linear 'feel' swung him. Quality wise, he still produces great stuff and is comfy with that kind of workflow. I use my Zooms for stereo and 4 track live recording of 'real' instruments and singers in nice spaces. Once recorded - those files are in the machine for everything else. I'd hate to try overdubbing with the dinky buttons, stepped menus and plus/minus buttons.

Wrong tool for my recordings. Oddly - all the coincident mics on these things do pretty well I've found, but they're just not good without external mics for many things. Any solo, small instrument seems to be a bit thin sounding, and the lack of a proper 'front' means that little movements from the centre lines are less forgiving than with a single mic.

Interesting points, Rob. I've tried a few DAWs and have never been able to figure them out. I think I'd have better luck with the hardware. As you suggest, it's a matter of preference. From these comments, it sounds like I should be looking into buying a microphone before upgrading the Tascam recorder. My questions are - what microphones are recommended for capturing solo electric guitar, and one microphone does the job with the DR-40, or should I look into buying two?

I have a ECM-8000 and MXL V67g. I use the 8000 for acoustic guitars and the 67g for vocals.

Yes the dp008ex is a great piece of kit and I consider its capable of a lot better results than the sketch pad marketing suggests . with a lot of work with techniques / environment / performance it will yield good results . Yes an external quality condenser Mic is necessary . the internal mics won't get optimal results . I've had mine a few years and still think I haven't outgrown it on my curve . the only downside is 8 tracks can lead to a couple of bounces Ie running out of tracks

Back