Steinberg/Cubasis upgrade

And I am not sure if any one mentioned the fact that any upgrade now for Cubase, will only work on a 64-bit OS. So only way to upgrade to anything higher than what the OP already has, would be a legacy/crack. Which is not in any way an upgrade or legal...

A simple Windows 10 PC is only like $300. Used one even less. I am not sure if there is an upgrade from such an old version, but simple Cubase LE/AI10 or 11 can be had just by purchasing a $200 interface. Just throwing that out there for thought. Not trying to judge anyone at all here myself.

Again, Cheers to all!

8-)

And here I thought the Cubase forum was dead...

I find it awesome that this discussion was somewhat resolved, even if it took a strange turn to get there. Better than Fakebook discussions have gone lately....

Cheers to all! :)
.....not quite dead Jimmy....just haunted by guys like me that love “the old days”....it sucks to be a dinosaur.....dammit anyway....

I’m going to put this to rest for good once and for all....:
I would like to apologize profusely to the group as a whole for my unproductive and unprofessional post directed towards someone who was only trying to help. I overreacted to a few lines in Rob’s response that I mistook as a criticism. For that, I again apologize. I was way out of line.
And directly to you Rob, I sincerely apologize for my hurtful words and reaction to your advice and help. Your help/advice was, as someone stated, spot on. It was the last paragraph of that first response that I took as rather “preachy”. There was, admittedly, a certain level of embarrassment on my part because I felt you were calling me out for my antiquated computer and production program....which I will acknowledge now was probably not your intent. I apologize for my obnoxious response AND for addressing it in a public forum. I have read your last post and find it extraordinary that you actually attempted to do what I originally wanted information on doing....that was extremely impressive and I Thank you for that, and acknowledge you were not doing it for me. I wish you no ill will and hope you can accept my apology. If not, I can certainly understand.
Once again , Rob and the entire forum, I apologize. This incident will not be repeated.
And that is the way it should be done.

On topic, There are the lighter versions of Cubase that aren't expensive. Is it called Artist or Element? Can't remember. You certainly don't need a full blown version.

Refurbished and near new PCs and laptops can be purchased pretty cheap. You don't need the latest high-end computer to record audio. For a small investment, you can get up to date software and hardware and get on with making music.

And that is the way it should be done.

On topic, There are the lighter versions of Cubase that aren't expensive. Is it called Artist or Element? Can't remember. You certainly don't need a full blown version.

Refurbished and near new PCs and laptops can be purchased pretty cheap. You don't need the latest high-end computer to record audio. For a small investment, you can get up to date software and hardware and get on with making music.
Will be checking that out....Thanks....

Nuendo is a really strange platform to go for unless you're really into big studios and big budgets. Cubase and Nuendo share so much under the hood. I've been a Cubase user since 1994 in black and white on an Atari 520, and have grown with it. I've even had a few dodgy cracked copies when I was poor, and they were, without doubt, the most buggy things I ever used. Mainly because the people who cracked them were only really interested in certain sorts of music. Cubase makes checks of the licence options when you select certain features - because using Artiste and Pro for example, the Artiste people have the extra features of pro, but they're not turned on. Before the on-line licenser largely stopped cracked copies what would happen was they'd written around the constant licence checks for the everyday stuff, but innocent stuff like entering a key sig in the score page would not have been short-circuited, and one button push crashed it. I think Steinberg actually realised that the people who used cracked versions often bought Cubase as soon as they could afford it so despite the public anger over the cracks, the truth was it built up a user base that is worth so much more. Adobe and others have also realised the reluctance people have to change and start again.

My grandson is 9 - he comes to my house because of the studio in the extension - he sits at a Cubase screen, inserts a Kontakt instrument and uses the browser on the Kontakt keyboard to find sounds. He has no idea but of course at nine, he doesn't need to.

Jimmy mentioned 64 bit! That was the one 'feature' that came a shock. I did my upgrade and my plugin instrument collection got added to the blacklist. I'd totally missed the removal of 32 support. Luckily I found a converter that allows all my old 32 bit plugins to work - phew!

Nuendo is kind of pointless for music production anymore. I got Nuendo when it first came out because it had some feature that I needed that Cubase didn't at the time. Then I just followed the upgrade path until I closed the studio. I'm still using an outdated version of it on my old computer when I need to.

I always rendered everything, so I didn't get too hosed when 32 bit support went away.

Back