I'm getting a music room/recording space again !!1! Woot !!

bluesfordan

I'll have a bedroom that I can use as a dedicated music room. After I get done with the demolition of the basement's existing appointments, I'll be left with concrete walls with 2x4 stud framing 16" on center. Would the studs help for diffusion if I set up down in the basement? I'm not going to try to sound proof, just treat the walls. Or would I be better off sheathing the walls again with sheetrock and then apply acoustic treatment?

The existing sheathing on the walls in the basement is a horror show. They put paneling directly onto the 2x4 studs, with foil backed pink insulation. The current owner probably tried to start tearing it down and realized they were in over their heads especially with at least 2 young kids and the pandemic shut down keeping everybody in house. The dilapidated conditions are probably why we won the bidding process. I have demolition and carpentry experience, no job commitments. I expect to be spending about 3 months, throw in an extra month for the usual delays. Hopefully by fall, it will be all done and cleaned up. We won't be doing any finishing down there for at least a year or two but it will be ready if/when money becomes available.

Psyched. It's hard to believe that it's been 15 months since I've had a room where I could play music loudly through guitar amps and monitor speakers. I've done everything with headphones. Dang near strangled myself the other day when I turned around suddenly. I'm looking forward to this big time.

Me? If it's a basement, then the foil back would be damp protection, so I'd put that back I think - maybe just the single layer, with more layers on the ceiling if spread to the rest of the property is an issue, or you get their noise in the basement space. Once you are sealed, tight and dry, then you can have a listen and maybe a few tests to see where the resonances are and if you have a need for bass control in a serious way. The way the timber is fixed to the structure and everything else make it unpredictable to plan for in advance, so I'd get it sealed up and tidy, then play some music and hear it in use. If you're handy, building a few frames with rock wool for the walls and ceiling won't tax you and if you get big bass issues then if space isn't too much of a problem - you could build some free standing corner absorbers if needed. I quite like the membrane type with the old roofing felt type material inside - I also like to build things free standing so I can move them around, preferring this to permanent ones.

I'll have a bedroom that I can use as a dedicated music room. After I get done with the demolition of the basement's existing appointments, I'll be left with concrete walls with 2x4 stud framing 16" on center. Would the studs help for diffusion if I set up down in the basement? I'm not going to try to sound proof, just treat the walls. Or would I be better off sheathing the walls again with sheetrock and then apply acoustic treatment?

The existing sheathing on the walls in the basement is a horror show. They put paneling directly onto the 2x4 studs, with foil backed pink insulation. The current owner probably tried to start tearing it down and realized they were in over their heads especially with at least 2 young kids and the pandemic shut down keeping everybody in house. The dilapidated conditions are probably why we won the bidding process. I have demolition and carpentry experience, no job commitments. I expect to be spending about 3 months, throw in an extra month for the usual delays. Hopefully by fall, it will be all done and cleaned up. We won't be doing any finishing down there for at least a year or two but it will be ready if/when money becomes available.

Psyched. It's hard to believe that it's been 15 months since I've had a room where I could play music loudly through guitar amps and monitor speakers. I've done everything with headphones. Dang near strangled myself the other day when I turned around suddenly. I'm looking forward to this big time.
I'd incorporate the existing open studs into my overall treatment plan. This is done with vocal booths where you frame it, double up on drywall outside, fill with insulation and cover with fabric. The stud spacing becomes the sound treatment. Fill the space with Safe N Sound mineral wool and cover with fabric using some light wood framing around outlets and wall switches. Add depth to the back wall for bass trapping and front corners. If you don't need isolation and only are looking to balance the room, no need to drywall. If the room sounds overly dead, add slats where you'd like to liven it up. I suggest the cheap cedar paneling planks. The other advantage is it is super cheap. Most expensive part will likely be the fabric. I used good quality burlap I got online in 60" widths.

Back