How to market your music in general?

d410music

I've been making music for about 3-4 years, and I've got a fairly large fanbase (half a thousand subs on YouTube), but I've never got into marketing or trying to promote my music with ads. I don't have a lot of money right now, so that's probably why.

Anyone got any tips on how to self promote?

you can post your music on Music blogs. You can share it on social media sites. You can also upload your music on YouTube.

👍 half a thousand , congrats. That's a great start. Have you posted on reddit? There are plenty forums like "music makers"

Before you go posting your music online, there are a few things you are well advised to heed so you have no regrets. The experts tell you to not only copyright all your music, but also get yourself listed as the music publisher, because the more hats you wear, the more money you will get from the slice of the pie.

I highly recommend the following 2 books, that can help you dramatically and save your a lot of heartache:

I have this book on Music Publishing which is for the American audience. I believe it is also used in colleges. Read the reviews and you'll see why it gets good marks. 408 pages, and it's good reading.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739096877/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This book is also highly recommended, and more on point with your original idea regarding posting your music online:

Social Media Promotion For Musicians - 3rd edition

It's too much to write, but this guy Bobby Owsinski, has been in the business for decades and is probably most well-known for his book "The Recording Engineer's Handbook", and "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook". He hosts live conferences with Users and students and music reps allowing us to ask questions and get answers from the people who know, and goes to big music affairs as a guest speaker, and more. I saw him at Sweetwater Music Summer Gear Fest 3 years ago.

Self promotion and how it works today to get yourself known is nothing at all like the music industry worked 30+ years ago.

In this book, it lists the things that get asked a lot and goes into detail so you don't make mistakes, and the book is updated. He has interviewed countless people in the industry and brings the answers to the public assembled in an orderly way to spare you lots of heartache.

Click the link on his website for the 3rd edition published April 5, 2020 and it will bring you to Amazon to buy. Also read the comments on Amazon. You'll be impressed with this book, too. It's a lot easier reading than the legal "Music Publishing" book I first gave link to. You'll probably want both, though.

https://bobbyowsinski.com/social-media-promotion-for-musicians/

I've been making music for about 3-4 years, and I've got a fairly large fanbase (half a thousand subs on YouTube), but I've never got into marketing or trying to promote my music with ads. I don't have a lot of money right now, so that's probably why.

Anyone got any tips on how to self promote?
How did you get the subs

Hope your music career develops, OP. It’s hard for small independent musicians to make their way nowadays, but I believe you can do that. There are several ways to increase your interaction with the audience and enlarge the number of followers/listeners.
I would recommend you make an account on TikTok also because it’s one of the fastest-growing social media, and it’s easier to get more new followers there. It also helps to engage in more meaningful and close conversations with your audience.
You can also upload your music to Spotify and hope the algorithm will recommend it to people interested in it. It’s also possible to use special tools for spotify promotion that will help you get more listeners and followers there and, therefore, more income from Spotify.
Good luck!

Back