Having trouble with Neewer NW-800 Microphone set up

DaveRMason

I am new here and yes "I bought a cheap a brewer NW-800 Microphone"
I have read where people are using a Phantom Power adapter using a XKR tothe a xLR cable. But I was told that the NW-800 would work using the MIC hack on my Dell Optipkex 9020 computer..., well,,itis doesn't...
SoI I want to build a Mic preamp with adatasheet 9VDC battery to supply PreAmp and MIc power.
so what is the proper pin outof for the 3-pin 3.5 mm microphone plug supplied with the NW-800? Brewer was no help - they suggested I purchase thefile 48V phantom power supply.
so, what is the MIC plug pin out? Does anyone know?

This will be annoying - and perhaps not much help but the cable as supplied is XLR 1 to sleeve XLR 2 is ring and XLR 3 is tip. I'm not sure what this hack is you mention - but they will operate on 48V phantom, or 5V on either 2 or 3, which means most computer mic sockets work. You don't usually need a pre-amp at all as the output is quite hot? Personally, I'd check what voltage is coming out of the the computer, perhaps it isn't? The parts cost for building one indicates that maybe you might better buy a cheap real interface because they have outs too - like headphones, and if you are using the Dell, that one 3.5mm socket for headphones and speakers is a bit limiting - a real interface gives you easy to use volume controls, and more audio possibilities - and my experience of Dells is that they are a gnat's whisker away from nasty noises and buzzes when you start to connect stuff!

The XLR to 3.5mm jack is wired pins 1 &3 to jack sleeve and ring and tip shorted together to pin 2. I have just plugged the mic into my old W7 HP laptop and it works tolerably well but is rather noisy.
Building a mic pre amp for it with power is IMHO an exercise in futility. Such a project will cost about as much just for parts as the mic did and I am sure your time could be better spent? The Dell I presume has a TRRS single jack and you have a converter cable? That cable I am sure is not wired for the Neewer regime.

I have never had a Dell, Lenovos, HP even an E Machine but if Robby says Dells have noisy internal audio I would listen to him! Get modest interface. Then the mics are not too bad at all. A much better budget LDC is the Mackie EM91-C (NOT the USB version!) around $50? Many here will have other suggestions.

Dave.

That's interesting Dave - mine are wired straight through - no shorting at all. I used two and a gender changer to make a long 3.5mm stereo cable, and it worked as expected.

That's interesting Dave - mine are wired straight through - no shorting at all. I used two and a gender changer to make a long 3.5mm stereo cable, and it worked as expected.
Fork! After I had done the tests on the BM mic I thought I would try it in the 3.5mm mic jack of my TECKNET converter dongle. Did not work, just gave a very weak output at -60dBFS but when I tried my headset back in I got no mic signal, it appears that the BMs ring/tip short has buggered my dongle! Might have done the same to OP's Dell?

I now have to order a new dongle...GRRRRR!

Dave.

That's bad news - I have a number of these cables back at the office and they all look identical. Never thought to check them all. has the tecknet got phantom? Or maybe it's took the 5V and shoved it back up the headphone connection on the computer?

They keep coming up with new schemes to put stuff on those little minijacks. It was inevitable that eventually one setup would screw up another setup.

The problem with fool proof designs is that fools can be very ingenious!

That's bad news - I have a number of these cables back at the office and they all look identical. Never thought to check them all. has the tecknet got phantom? Or maybe it's took the 5V and shoved it back up the headphone connection on the computer?
I had always assumed it had low volts to power the impedance converter in electret mics? My Sennie headset has a dynamic mic but it always worked very well, I don't know why folks fook about with external mics for Skype and podding?
I have another dongle coming tomorrow (they say) so I shall find a cable and measure the jack and post the results.

Dave.

I have further problems! Since the incident with the trs cable and the TECKNET I now find Audacity will not run my Citronics USB mic. I set it up and get a 9996 or 9999 error depending on the driver I use. Googling the trouble seems to point to a recent W10 update. Cannot seem to find any fix that way to did a Restore...Took for fekking EVER! Did not fix it.

My problem now is that I use a USB 'mic' with the dongle for Skype and I don't think that will work. Skype does not find the Citronics. I await the new dongle.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dave.

Adobe Premiere won't run on the new Windows 10 update and I've had to go back one version. Annoying isn't it when things like this happen.

Adobe Premiere won't run on the new Windows 10 update and I've had to go back one version. Annoying isn't it when things like this happen.
There has been a development Rob! I have a small USB camera that I use for Skype and it has a built in mic I have never used. Tried it and got a blue screen with options one of which was to "give permissions" to various programs..,Ticked some boxes for Audacity, Skype and others and blows me down Olive the USB mic now works. So in fact does the TECKNET dongle. The issue with the BM cable must have been coincidental with the w10 update OR it caused a glitch?

Still waiting for a new one but never a bad thing to have a spare.

So, bottom line. If things suddenly don't work, look for "permissions".

Dave.

I just did the major update yesterday on 3 computers, so I clicked through all the various programs. Reaper, DVD Decrypter, Libre Office, Audacity, Handbrake, CD BurnerXP, DOSBox. No glitches. CandyCrush ran. Chrome, Firefox. No issues so far on any machine.

It's curious that some permissions got changed but at least things are working again for you.

I just did the major update yesterday on 3 computers, so I clicked through all the various programs. Reaper, DVD Decrypter, Libre Office, Audacity, Handbrake, CD BurnerXP, DOSBox. No glitches. CandyCrush ran. Chrome, Firefox. No issues so far on any machine.

It's curious that some permissions got changed but at least things are working again for you.
It seems only 'non-ASIO' USB audio devices were affected Rich.
Now, an oddity which might cause problems? I checked the old TECKNET dongle and it delivers 3V (+ve of sleeve) on the ring. The new SABRENT dongle delivers the same 3V but this time on the tip! The headset mic being a dynamic (R=1k) does not seem to care but an electret converter might?

Call me a BGBlouse if you like but I am NOT plugging that BM cable in again!

Dave.

The NW-800 microphone typically uses an XLR connector, not a 3.5mm microphone plug. If you're looking to connect it to a device with a 3.5mm input, you might need an XLR to 3.5mm adapter or cable.

However, if you're trying to build a mic preamp and want to power the NW-800 with a 9VDC battery, you may need to create a custom cable or connector.

Here's a typical pinout for an XLR connector:

- Pin 1: Ground
- Pin 2: Positive (Hot)
- Pin 3: Negative (Cold)

If you are dealing with a 3.5mm microphone plug, the pinout is slightly different:

- Tip: Left channel (positive)
- Ring: Right channel (negative)
- Sleeve: Ground

If you need to adapt from XLR to 3.5mm or vice versa, you may need a proper adapter. Make sure to check the specifications of your equipment and cables to ensure compatibility.

Regarding the use of a 9VDC battery for a mic preamp, it's possible, but designing a preamp circuit requires some electronics knowledge. You might want to look for preamp circuits or kits that match your requirements. Additionally, ensure that the microphone is compatible with the voltage and current supplied by the preamp.

If you're not comfortable with electronics or if you're unsure about the technical aspects, it might be a good idea to consult with someone who has experience in audio electronics or consider purchasing a commercial solution that fits your needs.

It's important to note that the NW-800 is often considered a budget microphone and may have limitations in terms of performance and build quality. If you're experiencing issues with it, especially in terms of power supply compatibility, it might be worth considering upgrading to a higher-quality microphone.

A more reputable and well-known microphone can significantly improve your audio recording experience. Consider looking into brands like Shure, Audio-Technica, or Rode for reliable and higher-end microphone options.

Here's a link to explore some popular and well-regarded microphones:

Before making a purchase, make sure to check reviews and specifications to ensure the microphone fits your specific needs and recording environment.
Sorry new contributor but you are wrong. The Neewer/BM800 microphones have an XLR male on them and do indeed work directly on an interface or mixer provided it has 48V phantom power.
The mics are however supplied (at least mine were!) with a substantial XLR female to 3.5mm TRS plug cable*. This allows the mic to operate on the TRS jack input found on most laptops but not it seems all. Works on my W7 HP g6.

No the mics are not AKGs! But IF you get a good one they work tolerably well and are in fact more versatile than a USB mic for many people. Not the quietest of mics but perfectly acceptable for speech at a foot or so and so are an ideal starter mic for podders and Skyping although I maintain that 'communication' microphone technology was 'perfected' prior to the Wellington bomber in the form of the headset! A very serviceable one can be bought for around $25.

A step up in price and quality is the Mackie EM91-C an LDC style mic of conventional design that needs an AI or mixer. They run about $50.

*See my note on the very non-standard pinout!
Dave.

Since you cheaped out on the Mic, you can cheap out on the 48v phantom power too... surely $20 is cheaper than building your own... ;)
Bit harsh Ujn? Very many people are very hard up these days. In any case that spook supply is unavailable. I bought a cheap 2 channel supply some years ago and it was rubbish, could barely put out 2mA per channel. I then bought a single channel one that is USB powered and that was pretty good for about the same money.

I do agree that building your own is likely to cost more than $20 but there are some wrinkles...If you have gash wall rat (and who doesn't have several!) look for a 1W DC to DC converter that can boot its voltage to 50V or 2X 24V they are pretty cheap...OR! Buy 5 PP3 batteries, two 6k8 resistors and chop up an old XLR mic lead! You can fit a switch or just remember to unplug the mic.

Dave.

I think I would rather just buy a used USB audio interface with phantom power than to waste $20 or more putting together a power supply so that I could use the 3.5mm jack input. You could buy a used M-Track Solo for about $35. That's about a Big Mac meal more than buying parts for a kludged box that might or might not work. It would probably sound better too.

Bit harsh Ujn? Very many people are very hard up these days. In any case that spook supply is unavailable. I bought a cheap 2 channel supply some years ago and it was rubbish, could barely put out 2mA per channel. I then bought a single channel one that is USB powered and that was pretty good for about the same money.

I do agree that building your own is likely to cost more than $20 but there are some wrinkles...If you have gash wall rat (and who doesn't have several!) look for a 1W DC to DC converter that can boot its voltage to 50V or 2X 24V they are pretty cheap...OR! Buy 5 PP3 batteries, two 6k8 resistors and chop up an old XLR mic lead! You can fit a switch or just remember to unplug the mic.

Dave.

Wasn't meaning to be harsh at all... "I bought a cheap a brewer NW-800 Microphone" was what was said in the OP. So, I offered up another cheap Neewer item that does what OP wants... it's cheaper than building it, and it shows as available on my end...

Back