Boot hill

jimistone

long standing member
I bought a 1968 pro reverb. I cranked it way up and thought it sounded really good so I recorded this tune.
I am playing all instruments and doing the vocal. Any comments, suggestions, or critique is welcome.

Last edited:
Very nice. The guitar sounds like it was tracked over a raw basement recording of the other instruments - sort of.. Nice sound, though.

And just because you had it cranked when recording, I had to do the same when listening. The amp sounds wonderful. The break-up on the low freqs don't get too wooly and the high end has a nice controlled scream to it. What guitar did you use?

For the mix, eh, I'm not enamored with the panning choices. I would like to hear a more conventional mix. Not sure if the bass and kick are working well together, I hear more bass than kick.

Great performance, as always.

And just because you had it cranked when recording, I had to do the same when listening. The amp sounds wonderful. The break-up on the low freqs don't get too wooly and the high end has a nice controlled scream to it. What guitar did you use?

For the mix, eh, I'm not enamored with the panning choices. I would like to hear a more conventional mix. Not sure if the bass and kick are working well together, I hear more bass than kick.

Great performance, as always.
Thanks Chili.
I used a partscaster strat that I built. I mic'd the pro reverb with a shure sm57 on one speaker and a ev RE410 condenser on the other speaker. I panned those 2 tracks hard left and hard right. I panned the drum overheads hard left and hard right also.
Everything else was panned dead center. Bass guitar was a direct box. Sm 57 on snare...kick drum mic on the kick. Studio projects c1 on the vocal.

Very nice. The guitar sounds like it was tracked over a raw basement recording of the other instruments - sort of.. Nice sound, though.
Thanks spantini.
I think hard panning the guitar tracks and the drum tracks caused some weird issues. Also, I had the guitar and bass so loud when mixing that I kind of buried the drums.
I'm gonna work on the mix

Thanks spantini.
I think hard panning the guitar tracks and the drum tracks caused some weird issues. Also, I had the guitar and bass so loud when mixing that I kind of buried the drums.
I'm gonna work on the mix
Yeah, there are some weird panning issues. One side is considerably louder than the other, and guitar is only on one side.

Yeah, everything is still over on the left. I turned off my left speaker, and the only thing on the right is bass, vocal and a teeny tiny bit of barely-audible hihat. Drums and guitar are entirely on the left side. Something funky is going on with the panning.

Great guitar tone though!

Yeah, everything is still over on the left. I turned off my left speaker, and the only thing on the right is bass, vocal and a teeny tiny bit of barely-audible hihat. Drums and guitar are entirely on the left side. Something funky is going on with the panning.

Great guitar tone though!
Thanks. It is on both sides when I mixdown. Something must be going on in the export of the mix. I knew it wasn't sounding like it should on the laptop

My only critisism is the drums are way over to the left. Although they do leave a lot of room for the bass :)
Vocals have a great quality. All the sounds are authentic, it's like it was recorded in a 60s studio. It slams at the right times despite the panning :)
Nice job. Once you balance out the drums it will sound superb

I fixed the lopsidedness of the mix. I had some issues with routing of the output busses in my DAW for this project. Bad this was that the mix was perfect when I exported it but that isn't what ended up on the stereo file. Moral to the story, is to listen to the exported file on headphones before thinking it is a wrap.

Sorry for wasting your time on something I should have caught before posting guys.
I deleted all the old screwed up[ mixes, in this thread, and replaced with this mix.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Panning issues fixed. I still think there is work to be done with getting the bass and kick to fit together. The bass kinda dominates the low end.

After that, it's good, like Bulls said, sounds like it was recorded in the 60s with an original vibe.

Sounds good. Panning issues fixed. I still think there is work to be done with getting the bass and kick to fit together. The bass kinda dominates the low end.

After that, it's good, like Bulls said, sounds like it was recorded in the 60s with an original vibe.

I think this mix is a lot better

Oh yeah.. Oh yeah.. I feel like I'm sittin' next to the stage. Smokey room.. clinking bottles.. what's that smell..

Very cool, sounds a bit like the Clapton Beeno album with John Mayals Blues Breakers. Really enjoyed that !

Last edited:
As a fan of the original, I thought you did a grand job - loving the guitar tone and vocals, as well as the smokey (?), slightly lo-fi vibe

EDIT: There's me thinking the SRV version was the original, haha!

Back