Jay Turser

Fusioninspace

I bought a new Jay Turser electric resonator several months ago. I know this brand comes up from time to time and there's not a lot of reviews on these. So this is just some of my opinions on it.

I just wanted something that was inexpensive, would be devoted to open tuning, was a resonator and have a pickup. I have several "nice" guitars and didn't see any reason to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't going to play very often.

The guitar is basically on the cheap side. The workmanship is fine, the finish is very nice. The tone is very resonator-like (metalic, no bottom, etc.) - I personnally love the sound of this thing. I usually play slide on it. The neck feels very comfortable - no troublesome frets issues or anything.

The resonator does have a slight buzz that you hear when you just play it accoustically - (remember, this one is a "solid body" with the big resonator in it)

The resonator works very good at amplifying, so I hardly ever even plug it in an amp when I practice! It's about as loud as a classical guitar without being plugged into anything.

It has a single coil at the neck and a piezo inside somewhere. The single coil has a real nice full, even sound, the piezo is rather screechy.

Here's the downside on this thing - the volume control is more like an on/off switch. You get a very narrow range of volume control (basically full volume) or nothing. There's a "blend" knob that cuts out all the time if you're not carefull - but the concept is cool and really lets you fine tune the sound (... until it cuts out).

I'm planning on changing out the controls at some point.

I paid about $200 on ebay for it. I highly recommend this thing to anybody that needs a cheap-o, "single purpose" guitar for recording or just mess'n around.

I do not believe this would hold up very well under professional conditions.

I will toss in my support for the Tursers too. I had some 15-16 guitars and wanted to explore the 7 string options without needing to sell the house. I swapped out the controls because its true..... they sucked. But seriously if you guys are looking for a good starter guitar for yourself, or an exploration tool like I was then yer in.

and no... I have no future on a 7 string

I saw a Jay Turser guitar on ebay... a les paul copy... GOOORGEOUS!! I drooled. a lot. However, I have no clue how they play/sound. But it caught my eye, and the purple finish was siiiiick. ^_^

I dig 7-strings. Check out the Schecter Omen 7. Good guitar. 7-string version of the Omen 6 that we used in our band. Plays nice, sounds nice, love 'em.

Fusioninspace,

Thanks for the input. I have seen those Jay Turser's all over e-bay and most of the basses I have seen are obvious knock offs of more popular expensive brands and I have always wondered about the quality etc.

Most of the ones I have seen look beautifull in finish.

Last edited:
I've played several models of Jay Turser guitars at one of my local music shops.

Every single one that I played felt cheap, sounded cheap, and the hardware was pure junk.
(...I played 6 of them)

They may "look" nice, but these guitars have serious quality control problems from what I could see, as I compared a few of them side-by-side.

This is just my personal experience.

As always, YMMV.

I agree Buck, Jay Turser guitars are rip offs, which are pawned off to young beginners as great guitars, and in a few years when they need to sell the guitar they're worth about as much as the strings on them...

I have/will always tell guitarists to buy an Epiphone or a Fender Mexican, before wasting money on a Jay Turser...

Back