In My Car - In Key?

Snowman999

This is an old Korg D1600 song that I finally got over to Pro Tools and Melodyne. I'm not looking for mixing advice. It's melodyne advice... Melodyne 2 you could put a blob on G and it still didn't play a G. Supposedly melodyne 4 is semi perfect in this respect. Though there are many things that you can change within the blob.

Are these vocals in key? Do you hear any WTF notes? I KNOW there are a few delivery spots (real doubling), but they don't bother me. It's pitch I'm after.

This is the fixed vocals with a little EQ and verb over the D1600 mix track. So, you might hear the difference. This is in no way a mix.

There's no other place to put this on this forum that I see.

In my car - We'll go far
Burn the tar - Watch the stars
Drive all night - Find the light
A perfect sight - A gorgeous sunrise
In my car

Had a bad day
Just want to stay
In bed covers over your head
Crying

Doctor's best
For noise and stress
Silence and rest
Believe those pills are lying

Comfortable seats
Air and heat
No need to speak
The radio's shrieking timing
We're flying

Chorus

If you wanna go
Don't be slow
This show's on the road
The road straight and steady

Mess your hair
Makeup don't care
A naked flair
A bath's not necessary

Everything we need
Is in the backseat
The caring's free
The radio styles vary
It's very

Chorus

We can escape this town today
Find a space a new place - get new names

Toss the past - burn the mask
Beauty lasts - play smart and fun games

The tank is full - my heart's idle
The windshield's clear as crystal
You're in control

PS: If you don't the difference between HATS and CYMBALS, don't bother. :spank:

I know Melodyne is popular but I still venture back to an older version of Sonar and use V-Vocal (it's obsolete now so not sure how long that will last on an OS basis). Sonar includes basic Melodyne but it really doesn't have the features I prefer.

"Lying" sounds a little iffy, otherwise good. Could just be the doubling thing you do. Hard to tell.

FWIW I think there's also a slight tuning/intonation issue with the guitar that comes in when it gets very quiet, just before it picks up again - 2.40 - 2.50.

"Lying" sounds a little iffy, otherwise good. Could just be the doubling thing you do. Hard to tell.

FWIW I think there's also a slight tuning/intonation issue with the guitar that comes in when it gets very quiet, just before it picks up again - 2.40 - 2.50.

Thank you. it's probably the double. There's a few where I wasn't as tight in the delivery. I want to try to be honest in my presentation. I NEED melodyne, I don't need to fake the entire thing.

When I used to play live, I was told I had strong lead vocals. Yep, it pays to play for drunks.

But if you want to laugh... this is the original version without melodyne.

If I had a better voice, it could be used for a melodyne advertisement.

I know Melodyne is popular but I still venture back to an older version of Sonar and use V-Vocal (it's obsolete now so not sure how long that will last on an OS basis). Sonar includes basic Melodyne but it really doesn't have the features I prefer.

All I really do is push the blob to the proper note. I do very little more than that. But, because I literally have to think about what chord is playing under the vocal, I sometimes get the note wrong. In melodyne 2 you could put it on the right note and still be off, in which case I was screwed.

I like 4 a lot. I'll have to check out V-Vocal, I have Pro Tools 6 on an early G5. So, it would probably fit perfectly.

I'm not sure V-Vocal is even available on a retail basis. It was a freebie with Sonar but a quick Google shows nothing on a retail basis.
It must be a plugin but I'd have to look. It is not compatible with Sonar 64bit so I have to open an old version for it to work.

All I really do is push the blob to the proper note.

Any vocal 100% in tune all the time will sound terrible. There needs to be a little fluctuation in the pitch to give the impression of, you know, not being a robot. Try highlighting a verse at a time and using the bar in the upper right to adjust the %, maybe somewhere around 70%. If every note and slide is moved to 100% on pitch, it's gong to sound odd and unnatural.

Any vocal 100% in tune all the time will sound terrible. There needs to be a little fluctuation in the pitch to give the impression of, you know, not being a robot. Try highlighting a verse at a time and using the bar in the upper right to adjust the %, maybe somewhere around 70%. If every note and slide is moved to 100% on pitch, it's gong to sound odd and unnatural.

Does this sound robotic?

There's two parts to Pitch Correction, Center and Deviation. I've been putting the center directly to the center. But, I leave the deviation usually around 50 - 60%. Is that what you're talking about?

There were times on earlier fixings where 100% on both would make a note sound robotic. If you straighten out the thin line with the "pitch modulation tool" that definitely gives you the robot sound. It removes all the vibrato from the note (you should see my vibrato lines). I find it funny how so many artists use that for their hook. I think it sounds awful. I just want to sound in-key.

Thanks.

The closest musical parallel would be Wreckless Eric though his Basher produced tracks would be more rhythm section heavy and his lyrics were usually ironic as were the musical "touches".

The closest musical parallel would be Wreckless Eric though his Basher produced tracks would be more rhythm section heavy and his lyrics were usually ironic as were the musical "touches".

Thanks. As I listened to Pygmy Beat I listened to Trish and I thought of Nico in 2017, except remove the talent. Yet, she still outshined anything else I listened to. But, I have to be honest, I didn't get a minute into any of the songs. They sucked. But, it's kind of like your writing. All talk, no talent.

Nice one Snowy!
Ouchy, ouchy, wah wah, etc.
I take it as a positive thing that you a) didn't listen for more than a minute and b) don't like my work.
I'd have been disappointed if you'd liked anything by Pygmy Beat and my world order would have been shaken if you'd been honest enough to have admitted that anything I did was of any value.
Do you prepare salads?

Thanks. As I listened to Pygmy Beat I listened to Trish and I thought of Nico in 2017, except remove the talent. Yet, she still outshined anything else I listened to. But, I have to be honest, I didn't get a minute into any of the songs. They sucked. But, it's kind of like your writing. All talk, no talent.

Not cool. Ray took the time to listen to your track and offered feedback. Whatever transgressions you have from other threads need to be put aside; clearly, he was able to. Please do the same.

Wow, I know I can be acerbic at times, but this is seriously bad form in here. You can trash somebody's mix all you want but comments like that aren't welcome.

Just backing these guys up. There's a fine line between constructive criticism and plain ol' insulting someone.
Try to keep on the right side of that line, please.

The vocal sounded in key to me. A pitch problem on a note or two. But generally in key.

I know you don't want mix advice. But melodyne is a less significant problem than several others in the mix.

Nice one Snowy!
Ouchy, ouchy, wah wah, etc.
I take it as a positive thing that you a) didn't listen for more than a minute and b) don't like my work.
I'd have been disappointed if you'd liked anything by Pygmy Beat and my world order would have been shaken if you'd been honest enough to have admitted that anything I did was of any value.
Do you prepare salads?

I wouldn't admit you do anything of value, because I don't think that. If I found anything worthwhile I'm person enough to admit it. If you don't hear anything in the first minute or so, it doesn't really matter what comes later.

But, at least we have one thing in common, we don't CARE what the other has to say.

Not cool. Ray took the time to listen to your track and offered feedback. Whatever transgressions you have from other threads need to be put aside; clearly, he was able to. Please do the same.

I actually didn't ask for feedback. I asked if the pitch was correct. But, if you think that's actual feedback and not just a jab, then I'll just say OK.

The vocal sounded in key to me. A pitch problem on a note or two. But generally in key.

I know you don't want mix advice. But melodyne is a less significant problem than several others in the mix.

I'm more than willing to listen. But, only if it's all the instruments are out of tune. The music was mixed years ago on the D1600. I have the individual tracks in Pro Tools and once I have the vocals correct (it seems I might) I plan on redoing a proper mix. I'm still looking for a spectrum analyzer for an old MAC. Can't find any online.

Back