jealous guy

Do you like the roxy music version? I just had a listen and was horrified. I couldn't even get past the first chorus. Anyway, thank you for listening.

Yes! I just don't get the appeal with Roxy Music either, but they seem to be held in universally high regard. On that basis I keep giving them another go, but I just can't stomach a full song, never mind an album.

On hols at the moment, so can't listen currently I'm afraid. Will try and do so when I get back - a few interesting looking threads in the clinic currently.

This is pretty nice. My only issue is the key sounds way too low. Not sure you have to go up an octave, but a higher key might help, imo.

Not a fan of massive reverb, but it seems to work here. Might bring down the organ a smidge, a little too dominant. Mix is clean. Can hear everything well. Good work.

No offense, but I tried listening to that roxy music cover of this song and I really, really did not like it.

Wow. I never heard that Roxy cover. Holy cow. It was okay until the chorus, and then it suddenly turned into a disaster. That must be how the Pompeians felt when Vesuvius erupted. I was like la di da di da this is fine...[chorus]...*boom*...holy crap!

I watched the video on youtube, and the singer's unwavering eye contact was unnerving. lol

i love roxy music, though their cover of this isnt a fave...but they were brilliant...two words Brian Eno

I'm I the only one who hears a John Lennon lyric that goes "I didn't mean to hurt you/I'm just a jealous guy" and assume that he's halfheartedly apologizing to a woman he's literally beating up?! Just me? Ok.

Yeah, this does get pretty low in your range.
The drums do sound good. Some of the strings get a little overwhelming at a few places.

Their first record is not bad, it's a little more raw than their later stuff... This one.

I'll give that one a try then. I like the Eno solo albums I know. It''s Ferry and that creepy crooner thing I have a problem with I think.

Sorry Heat, I'll stop derailing now. Though if you will post a mix for feedback in the Roxy Music thread...

Yes! I just don't get the appeal with Roxy Music either, but they seem to be held in universally high regard. On that basis I keep giving them another go, but I just can't stomach a full song, never mind an album.

On hols at the moment, so can't listen currently I'm afraid. Will try and do so when I get back - a few interesting looking threads in the clinic currently.

Their first record is not bad, it's a little more raw than their later stuff... This one.

Wow. I never heard that Roxy cover. Holy cow. It was okay until the chorus, and then it suddenly turned into a disaster. That must be how the Pompeians felt when Vesuvius erupted. I was like la di da di da this is fine...[chorus]...*boom*...holy crap!

I watched the video on youtube, and the singer's unwavering eye contact was unnerving. lol

i love roxy music, though their cover of this isnt a fave...but they were brilliant...two words Brian Eno

Brian Eno

Ok, ok...lol

I didn't know eno was connected with them, but I just read that he was an original member in the mid '70's and it sounds like that's kind of where he got his start. Not sure that's really a high point on his resume though? They covered this song in 1981, and I doubt had eno been involved that he would have let that slide past. I can't speak to their other work, but what I heard of their cover of this track actually made me kind of angry (lol). I was kind of offended. Did make me feel a lot better about what I've done though!

I don't even know much about eno although I've heard his name thrown around a bunch over the years. I often heard him in the same breath as Fripp. They both seemed to have this cerebral approach to music that is entirely the opposite of my own, so I guess I'm not a huge fan? I know he produced some talking heads and devo though, so he scores points there in my book. Remain in Light was probably my favorite album of the '80's, and I understand he played a huge role in that sound, so I'll thank him for that anyway.

This is pretty nice. My only issue is the key sounds way too low. Not sure you have to go up an octave, but a higher key might help, imo.

Not a fan of massive reverb, but it seems to work here. Might bring down the organ a smidge, a little too dominant. Mix is clean. Can hear everything well. Good work.

Thanks man. I appreciate the listen and the feedback. Plenty of consensus on the strings.

Yeah, vocals are the issue I think. I knew that when I posted this. This is in the original key, I just think that lennon sings it an octave higher than I am able to. In retrospect, I probably should have just transposed it up as high as I could get, but I don't have the stomach to redo the whole thing now. As simple as it sounds, it took me a great deal of time getting all of the guitar parts to work together and stuff. At least a few people don't seem to mind the lower register vocals, and that may just have to be good enough for me at this point. If I could go back in time, I'd make some different decisions...thanks again.

I'm I the only one who hears a John Lennon lyric that goes "I didn't mean to hurt you/I'm just a jealous guy" and assume that he's halfheartedly apologizing to a woman he's literally beating up?! Just me? Ok.

Yeah, this does get pretty low in your range.
The drums do sound good. Some of the strings get a little overwhelming at a few places.

Thanks VHS...understood on the strings.

I dunno, I think you may be the only one thinking that? I don't know much about the personal lives of famous people...did lennon have a reputation as a domestic abuser? I know he cheated on his first wife with yoko, but other than that...? I don't get any weird vibes from his track at all myself, just sadness about his own inability to let his partner be herself.

So, I have posted a new mix in the OP and will include it here below as well. I actually did a bunch of the things suggested in this thread, but I don't know that you'll hear a big difference, let alone improvement? I think it's better.

Still in the same key of course, and I can't change my voice, but I did retrack the vocals and I think my pitch is at least a little better, and maybe overall a little more relaxed sounding? I just had to kind of embrace the deepness of my voice and go with that.

I lowered the bass guitar by a few dbs, lowered all the string tracks a little, and mastered it less aggressively. The result is maybe more guitar oriented now which I think is better? If anyone is willing to give it another go and compare I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

Hey heat... I listened to the first mix but didn't get a chance to say anything - I never liked the song much, a bit whiny when sung by J Lennon esq - but I like what you've done to it - I think the tune and subject matter suits a deeper and grittier voice like yours. Sounding better on mix 2 re. the vocal, although the "hurt you" in chorus?2 is a bit pitchy still.

And welcome back! :D

Hey heat... I listened to the first mix but didn't get a chance to say anything - I never liked the song much, a bit whiny when sung by J Lennon esq - but I like what you've done to it - I think the tune and subject matter suits a deeper and grittier voice like yours. Sounding better on mix 2 re. the vocal, although the "hurt you" in chorus?2 is a bit pitchy still.

And welcome back! :D

Thanks man. Yeah, he is pretty whiny, but in a cool way if that's possible? lol

Shit, you're so right! Actually both "hurt you" lines in that 2nd chorus are brutal! The 2nd one is like hu-ur-ur-ur-urt youuu" lol. Damn. Maybe I can find a better 2nd chorus from a prior take and paste it in there? Not sure how to do that with my set up, but it might be worth trying for the worst offenders. There's probably a few other spots like that too. Not sure why I don't hear that immediately?

Thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate it.

Heat, the lower register is cool. Are you a baritone or bass?
It pretty much makes it hard to be nasal or whiny, which is a nice perk.

Vomithat isn't correct with the physical abuse. I think Lennon is talking about mental abuse. Like he gets jealous and acts like an idiot questioning his woman about everything she does. Possessive, etc. He's apologizing. The thing is, it sucks to be that person. If Yoko dates someone else just accept it and find someone new. Jealousy sucks.

Last edited:
Heat, the lower register is cool. Are you a baritone or bass?
It pretty much makes it hard to be nasal or whiny, which is a nice perk.

Vomithat isn't correct with the physical abuse. I think Lennon is talking about mental abuse. Like he gets jealous and acts like an idiot questioning his woman about everything she does. Possessive, etc. He's apologizing. The thing is, it sucks to be that person. If Yoko dates someone else just accept it and find someone new. Jealous sucks.

I don't know what I am? lol In school I think I was whatever is just below a tenor? Decades of smoking and drinking have probably brought me down even further? My speaking voice is certainly deeper than anyone I ever hear...except maybe that guy from the old 7-up commercials? The voodoo dude from Live and Let Die?

Anyway, yeah, that's how I understand the song too. An apology. An acknowledgement of a flaw in character.

Not to get too whatever, but unfortunately, I think I am often that guy. There's no malice in it, nor often mistrust...just fear. Fear of losing something you love. It's very self defeating.

I've never understood why it is so bothersome to the other though, as the few times in my life I elicited jealousy in someone else, I found it flattering. I enjoyed reassuring them there was nothing to fear. The only times it bothered me was when they actually did have some valid reason for being jealous. But I'm probably just weird that way.

Anyway, yeah, that's how I understand the song too. An apology. An acknowledgement of a flaw in character.

Not to get too whatever, but unfortunately, I think I am often that guy. There's no malice in it, nor often mistrust...just fear. Fear of losing something you love. It's very self defeating.

I've never understood why it is so bothersome to the other though, as the few times in my life I elicited jealousy in someone else, I found it flattering. I enjoyed reassuring them there was nothing to fear. The only times it bothered me was when they actually did have some valid reason for being jealous. But I'm probably just weird that way.

It sounds like you're a baritone then. A lot of baritones can hit the top end of bass, so I'm thinking that's what you are.

Yeah jealousy just sucks. It's kind of like a totalitarian government in a way. I say live and let live. If a girl wants to date someone else go be free and do it, and I'll have to pick up the pieces and then hopefully move on to something even better! There are like 5 billion women in the world.

What is the worst thing is forced relationships or those out of convenience. When I hear this Lennon song I don't hear love but I hear a farce. Like he was controlling her and whatever "love" couldn't be real at that point. It's kind of sad in a way. I always thought Lennon could do better than Yoko, but if he was this possessive then maybe he couldn't. She seemed to like him for the wrong reasons, too, like promoting her avant garde art career. It's a strange dynamic.

Did you ever see this Bill Burr clip on John and Yoko? It's hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2i9RvBOSZ4

I don't know what I am? lol In school I think I was whatever is just below a tenor?.

When you work it out, let me know heat... I was singing along with you no probs, so sounds like we're the same-ish. :D I'd say half way between bass and baritone, depending upon how high you can get. ;)

It sounds like you're a baritone then. A lot of baritones can hit the top end of bass, so I'm thinking that's what you are.

Yeah jealousy just sucks. It's kind of like a totalitarian government in a way. I say live and let live. If a girl wants to date someone else go be free and do it, and I'll have to pick up the pieces and then hopefully move on to something even better! There are like 5 billion women in the world.

What is the worst thing is forced relationships or those out of convenience. When I hear this Lennon song I don't hear love but I hear a farce. Like he was controlling her and whatever "love" couldn't be real at that point. It's kind of sad in a way. I always thought Lennon could do better than Yoko, but if he was this possessive then maybe he couldn't. She seemed to like him for the wrong reasons, too, like promoting her avant garde art career. It's a strange dynamic.

Did you ever see this Bill Burr clip on John and Yoko? It's hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2i9RvBOSZ4

Holy crap! That was really awesome. A bit mean, but the kind of thing we're all thinking but afraid to say. LOL @ I'll slap you so hard your eyes will look like mine!

I dunno. I get what you're saying, but I just don't see it that way. I think jealousy and a desire to control are different things (for me anyway). A desire to possess, maybe, but not control. Anyway, it's clearly not a good thing no matter how you slice it. You seem to have a healthy attitude towards relationships...me, not so much. Perhaps that's why I can never stay in one? lol

Personally I never passed judgement on their relationship. I assumed it was genuine love. There was so much pressure on them not to be together - the fact that they were said enough for me...like I give a shit though! lol I guess I don't care why they were together, but their relationship is one of the more controversial ones of all time. I hear love when I hear his song. I empathize with the whole thing.

When you work it out, let me know heat... I was singing along with you no probs, so sounds like we're the same-ish. :D I'd say half way between bass and baritone, depending upon how high you can get. ;)

See, I never think of your voice as being particularly deep, but it's certainly not high either...hmmm. Now I'm confused.

Does falsetto count? :)

Holy crap! That was really awesome. A bit mean, but the kind of thing we're all thinking but afraid to say. LOL @ I'll slap you so hard your eyes will look like mine!

I dunno. I get what you're saying, but I just don't see it that way. I think jealousy and a desire to control are different things (for me anyway). A desire to possess, maybe, but not control. Anyway, it's clearly not a good thing no matter how you slice it. You seem to have a healthy attitude towards relationships...me, not so much. Perhaps that's why I can never stay in one? lol

Personally I never passed judgement on their relationship. I assumed it was genuine love. There was so much pressure on them not to be together - the fact that they were said enough for me...like I give a shit though! lol I guess I don't care why they were together, but their relationship is one of the more controversial ones of all time. I hear love when I hear his song. I empathize with the whole thing.

Yeah I tend not to judge relationships because the chips always fall where they are meant to fall, and who the hell am i...

I just was talking about my hunch with those two more than trying to judge it.

Man I love Bill Burr. That clip is so funny. Chuck Berry must have been a blast to play with -- just from that facial expression when something went clearly wrong.

Sorry, Heat, I didn't mean to derail your thread with armchair relationship talk. It kinda fits with the song, though.

Back