Bass guitar freq that bugs me

Stubby03

I am the bassplayer in our band. I do all the recording/mixing. When I mix my bass, I have a freq around 250 Hz that really sticks out, and really doesn't sound good. I believe its when I hit the G note. It just seems to stick out above the mix. I have noticed reading about mixing bass, and reading forums, this freq is not to the extent of what I am hearing. Am I being to critical of my own instrument.

First, you have to make sure that it's the bass and not a problem with the room you are listening in.

If it is the bass, eq and compression can usually fix this sort of thing. Use an eq to suck out a few dB of 250hz, then feed that into a compressor at about a 4/1 ratio, medium attack and release. Don't be afraid to get 5-6db of reduction.

Those parameters are just general starting points, play around until it sounds right. You can normally squash bass pretty hard.

Yeah, I don't have a problem mixing and getting a good sound out of my bass. I was just curious why this freq, that I see nobody really mention, when mixing my bass, bothers me. I cut about 6 db, at about 250. That seems to do it. Is it my ears. Is it because I play bass, and I'm being to picky. I have treated my room a little with 4x8 panels. I have also mixed in headphones. Its not a big issue. I want to make sure I'm not doing, or hearing something wrong. Thanks for you input.

Some basses just have notes that "speak" louder than others. It is just something inherent to your specific instrument. I've had a couple basses that had notes that would jump out, but it was never the same note from instrument to instrument.

Yeah, I don't have a problem mixing and getting a good sound out of my bass. I was just curious why this freq, that I see nobody really mention, when mixing my bass, bothers me. I cut about 6 db, at about 250. That seems to do it. Is it my ears. Is it because I play bass, and I'm being to picky. I have treated my room a little with 4x8 panels. I have also mixed in headphones. Its not a big issue. I want to make sure I'm not doing, or hearing something wrong. Thanks for you input.
250 is a bit over an octave above your open G (For what that's worth.
First thing I'd think to sort out is is it actually louder in that range -for what ever reason- or not?
It could be a natural result of wanting to contour the tone somewhat, due to the bass itself or because of the combination of tones from other instruments -guitars what have you- That, not surprising.
Upper bass- low mids can be tough. They pile up easily, often are where the boxy/muddy stuff come up, but also where the body and warmth tones are.

Ok, appreciate all your input. I'm at work now and cannot post. The freq is around 250, cant remember the exact freq. I have read a lot about mixing over the last 2 years. I find it very enjoyable most of the time. lol Just tryin to learn a little more. Again, thank you all for your input.

Ok, appreciate all your input. I'm at work now and cannot post. The freq is around 250, cant remember the exact freq. I have read a lot about mixing over the last 2 years. I find it very enjoyable most of the time. lol Just tryin to learn a little more. Again, thank you all for your input.
Yeah, the only 'odd part would seem to be being 'exact, or repetitive..

from experience, cheaper bass guitars do actually sound muddy compared to expensive bass guitars, it's not always the case but mostly.

from experience, cheaper bass guitars do actually sound muddy compared to expensive bass guitars, it's not always the case but mostly.

Also strings are everything, even cheap basses with a good setup and good strings can sound fine. However as btyre said ^^^^^ in slightly different words, good bass guitar in, good bass sound out.

Alan.

I have a Shecter Omen 5, a Spector, and a Epiphone Reverse Thunderbird 5 string, I use GHS bass boomers. I have listened to other professional mixes, and I hear this freq popping out. I guess its a personal preference.

If it's the same frequency on every bass and other commercial recordingsuccess, then it's your room or playback system. (Or ears) Spector's especially don't jump out like that, they tend to be very midrange growly.

Stick a frequency analyser on a recorded track of your bass.

If you see a spike at 250Hz then it's the guitar, if it doesn't then it's your room / hearing.

As others have said, check your room. I've been fooled myself. Why is that one note booming out on bass? Oh, it's my room. :facepalm: Listen to the mix in your car, on your earbuds, on your stereo if anyone still owns those anymore. If you can hear it on those systems, then there is a problem with the track. If not, the problem is likely the room where you mix.

Some basses just have notes that "speak" louder than others. It is just something inherent to your specific instrument. I've had a couple basses that had notes that would jump out, but it was never the same note from instrument to instrument.

My bass player has a fender american jazz bass and the 7th fret on the a string (E) for whatever reason just booms. This has been the case in every house I've ever lived in and recorded him in (4 different places). I've scooped it there while mixing before but not with a particularly satisfying result.

what do you do in this case, just a big eq cut? and what causes it there. my p-bass gets boomy there. i wonder if it's the flatwound strings.

Unlikely the strings. A P bass is inherently midrangy. Usually no need to add anything to the low mids, though a low end boost can help fill out the tone. All that's amp EQ--I don't do any ITB EQ on bass except a high pass at 50Hz.

Unlikely the strings. A P bass is inherently midrangy. Usually no need to add anything to the low mids, though a low end boost can help fill out the tone. All that's amp EQ--I don't do any ITB EQ on bass except a high pass at 50Hz.

Cool, thanks robus. Would lack of dynamic control on my end (i.e. my playing) cause boominess? I'm a guitar player using a bass, so I wonder how much of it is that. Maybe I am hitting those notes stronger or something. Also, the 4th string tends to boom more than the others. I wonder if it's this MIM p-bass and their lesser quality pickups. I wonder if an American is worth the extra cost. I used to own one, and I don't remember it being so boomy in the 150-250 range.

Controlling dynamics is critical on bass. I suppose poor dynamics could cause boominess, though the bigger problem will be difficulty finding a consistent level in the mix. Don't hesitate to compress. My bass signal runs through an outboard compressor 100% of the time. Use a longer attack to keep your note definition and punch. A USA Fender feels better to play than an MIM or a Squier, but I doubt you will hear much difference in the mix. Personally, I'd stick with what you have and work on technique. Are you sure the boominess isn't your room?

Back