Calling Greg L - speaker advice.

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
I was going to PM you, but it wouldn't allow me to attach a pic in a PM

Somebody's selling four of these in two crappy cabs. What are your thoughts?

Two 2x12 speaker cabs with celestion blackbacks G12M 25W, from the 70's. Cabs well travelled but speakers in fine condition. Offers accepted. Message me for more info.

blackback2.jpgblackback.jpg

He's wanting £200 ($285) but is inviting offers.

Get off the internet and go buy those fuckers right fucking now.

LOL. Like that, is it? :laughings:

I'm waiting for the guy to message me back. I asked him if they were the 55Hz cones. :D
Just realised - the ad is over a week old. I hope he hasn't sold them and neglected to withdraw his ad.

Then wtf are you still sitting in front of your computer Bubba???? Holy fuck!!! Go buy 'em right now, period...

Then wtf are you still sitting in front of your computer Bubba???? Holy fuck!!! Go buy 'em right now, period...

The man hasn't acknowledged my message yet. I will do as soon as is practicable. I even have the dough! :D

The man hasn't acknowledged my message yet. I will do as soon as is practicable. I even have the dough! :D

Ok dude, from what I can tell, that's a super deal man...I'd make sure all of 'em work, & look at 'em really good though...

WTF man, if this deal goes through, you'll have the JVM + these speakers for less than what a used JVM by itself goes for here Bubba....

Those should be some killer speakers man, I hope the guy lets you have 'em for that....

I asked him if they were the 55Hz cones. :D

That is a valid concern, but it's not gonna matter. If those speakers aren't damaged, they will sound killer. And if for some reason you don't like them, you can flip them for twice what you're paying, and you can use the money to get your hearing checked..

That is a valid concern, but it's not gonna matter. If those speakers aren't damaged, they will sound killer. And if for some reason you don't like them, you can flip them for twice what you're paying, and you can use the money to get your hearing checked..

Ha! :D

So how do I go about buying them? I mean, what am I looking for? Do I need to see the cones from the front? how would you examine them and what sort of damage might there be?

Edit: I googled this and came up with some good info about spiders coming unglued, rubbing cones, torn gaskets etc.

The guy hasn't responded yet. :mad:

Ha! :D

So how do I go about buying them? I mean, what am I looking for? Do I need to see the cones from the front? how would you examine them and what sort of damage might there be?

Do whatever you can to inspect them carefully. Obviously, tears in the paper are bad. Bring a flashlight and shine it around the cone. Look from the other side and see if any light pokes through. Make sure the doping is in good shape and not brittle or torn. If this guy is using them though, they are probably fine. Play them yourself or have him play through them and see how they sound. A wasted coil or torn cone will be pretty apparent - it'll sound like shit. Make sure they're all pumping out the same volume.

Look around the basket for dents, breaks, check the mounting holes and flange area for straightness and that the holes aren't butchered from years and years of swapping around. And check the tabs where the wires solder on. Make sure they're not wasted from years and years of soldering and de-soldering.

I'm betting they're in good shape though.

Do whatever you can to inspect them carefully. Obviously, tears in the paper are bad. Bring a flashlight and shine it around the cone. Look from the other side and see if any light pokes through. Make sure the doping is in good shape and not brittle or torn. If this guy is using them though, they are probably fine. Play them yourself or have him play through them and see how they sound. A wasted coil or torn cone will be pretty apparent - it'll sound like shit. Make sure they're all pumping out the same volume.

Look around the basket for dents, breaks, check the mounting holes and flange area for straightness and that the holes aren't butchered from years and years of swapping around. And check the tabs where the wires solder on. Make sure they're not wasted from years and years of soldering and de-soldering.

I'm betting they're in good shape though.

Nice one. Fingers crossed, then!

There is a cheap fix for tears in the cones.

I bought an old 4/12 cab loaded with altecs several years ago. It was in a large batch of equipment I bought and all the cones had tears in them. Man did it sound bad. I mixed up some JB weld and spread it over each tear ...let it dry over night...and the speakers sounded fantastic! That was over 15 years ago and the speakers are going strong.

Well, I've messaged this guy a further two times. He's reading my messages, but declining to reply. What an arsehole.

Back