Free home recording book, published by Hal Leonard - need reviewers please!

famous beagle

Hi,

I've just written a big book on home recording, which is published by Hal Leonard. You can see it here:

How to Record at Home on a Budget: Chad Johnson: 0888680024413: Amazon.com: Books

It's 288 pages with over 330 audio tracks.

I'd like to get some reviews on it, so I'm offering free copies to the first five people who respond. Just send me a private message with your shipping address if you're interested. I'll let everyone know here once the copies are spoken for.

I'd like everyone to be honest in their review. All I ask is that, if you have any problems, such as issues with accessing the audio, etc., please contact me before posting a 1-star review so I can help get that resolved. I don't anticipate any issues like that (although it definitely does come up in the Kindle version at times), but I've had a person give me a one-star review before on a book that hadn't come out yet because the release was delayed a bit!

Thanks much!
-Chad

Beagle, I sent you a pm request for one. What you should do is:

1. Send out 5 free copies.
2. Have the user mail it to another forum member when they're done.

That way the books can be passed around forever and you'll wrack up a ton of reviews. The user basically pays the $3 media rate shipping when they're done and mail it to someone else, which is a pretty good deal to read the book, you get a ton of reviews, the book gets passed around. It's a win for all.

Beagle, I sent you a pm request for one. What you should do is:

1. Send out 5 free copies.
2. Have the user mail it to another forum member when they're done.

That way the books can be passed around forever and you'll wrack up a ton of reviews. The user basically pays the $3 media rate shipping when they're done and mail it to someone else, which is a pretty good deal to read the book, you get a ton of reviews, the book gets passed around. It's a win for all.

That's not a bad idea. I suppose I'll leave it up to the reviewer if they'd like to do that. If they want to keep it, they're more than welcome. If they'd like to pass it on and still purchase the book (that would be quite a nice gesture), they should contact me because I can get copies for half price.

Thanks!

Probably late to the party. But I sent my info.
This is a great idea. I remember when you were talking about doing a basics book.
Great for daw dummies like me. :D

That's not a bad idea. I suppose I'll leave it up to the reviewer if they'd like to do that. If they want to keep it, they're more than welcome. If they'd like to pass it on and still purchase the book (that would be quite a nice gesture), they should contact me because I can get copies for half price.

Thanks!

Yeah I guess the plus is you'd get a lot of reviews, which is what I was thinking about, but the downside is people then might not buy it...but if it's only the people on this forum passing it around and reviewing it that's probably a very small % of your potential buyers. I think the reward of having a lot of good reviews for the general public would outweigh losing a couple sales from the forum.

Yeah I guess the plus is you'd get a lot of reviews, which is what I was thinking about, but the downside is people then might not buy it...but if it's only the people on this forum passing it around and reviewing it that's probably a very small % of your potential buyers. I think the reward of having a lot of good reviews for the general public would outweigh losing a couple sales from the forum.

Yeah ... I wasn't thinking so much about lost sales on the forum. I was just thinking it's kind of a lot to ask of someone to read the book, review it, and then go through the trouble (and minor expense) of sending it to someone else.

Yeah ... I wasn't thinking so much about lost sales on the forum. I was just thinking it's kind of a lot to ask of someone to read the book, review it, and then go through the trouble (and minor expense) of sending it to someone else.

Well if they ask for a copy they WANT to read it, and they are getting it for free, so to spend $3 to ship it media rate to someone else is not much to ask. Whomever you send it to gets to read the book for $3, basically, and then pass it along so the author gets more reviews, which is good/fair payback to the author since he's giving them a copy for free. I just think it's win win and would do it. If anyone wants my copy when I'm done pm me.

A lot of good ideas. I'm going to go through it thoroughly and see how it applies to someone like myself. I guess I would be mid level or medium range. I'm not exactly a beginner, but not exactly pro LOL. So, I'll see what I can get out of it and I'm hoping it's really good because I know a few people who are wanting to get into recording and have a bit a gear, but have no idea how to really get started. If I don't keep it or pass it to someone here, I'll pass it to one of my friends. I'll also recommend it to other people as well. I know a lot of people online and in real life who do home recording as a hobby.

That said I hope your book is the shiz nit because I've seen a lot of online "courses" that weren't worth the money at all. I hope this book will be the schit the world needs :D

A lot of good ideas. I'm going to go through it thoroughly and see how it applies to someone like myself. I guess I would be mid level or medium range. I'm not exactly a beginner, but not exactly pro LOL. So, I'll see what I can get out of it and I'm hoping it's really good because I know a few people who are wanting to get into recording and have a bit a gear, but have no idea how to really get started. If I don't keep it or pass it to someone here, I'll pass it to one of my friends. I'll also recommend it to other people as well. I know a lot of people online and in real life who do home recording as a hobby.

That said I hope your book is the shiz nit because I've seen a lot of online "courses" that weren't worth the money at all. I hope this book will be the schit the world needs :D

Thanks Phil. It starts pretty basic, but it covers a lot of ground, including lots of techniques and concepts that are applicable to everyone. Hope you dig it, and I appreciate any recommendations. :)

288 pages? I commend your determination in getting this completed! I do wonder how much of a market there is, though. Today's "I want it now with as little effort as possible" crowd rely on (sometimes bad) youtubes and asking for 'tell me how to' solutions when they get stuck (like we see all the time here).

Lots of people still like physical books, I being one of them.

A book you can go back to time and time again without having to search on the net.

Lots of people still like physical books, I being one of them.

A book you can go back to time and time again without having to search on the net.

A digital edition would be nice. Not sure how hard it is to get exposure so people can download it through an online book seller...

A digital edition would be nice. Not sure how hard it is to get exposure so people can download it through an online book seller...

Yes most of my books are available in a digital format, and I imagine a digital version of this one is in the works as well. However, Amazon is notoriously bad with audio issues on Kindle versions. I get lots of emails from readers that have problems hearing the audio files of several different books on their kindle, so I end up having to send them mp3 files. Amazon has admitted that the problem is on their end, but it's been over 3 years, and they still haven't fixed whatever is causing the issue. :(

Back