Electric Guitar Suggestions

What do you know about this: EC-401VF DMZ LD - The ESP Guitar Company

I can pick it up for about $520. Any thoughts?
I've got the EC-1000 and I think the only difference is the pickups, honestly. Mine's got seymour duncans instead of the DiMarzios. With that being said, it's got a really comfortable neck (for my hands) and great value for the money. I'd say give it a whirl if you can and see how it feels.

I almost put up a recommendation for the LTD EC series earlier but they were a little higher than I thought your budget would take you.

I've been spending way too much time on Reverb.com lately. Just out of curiosity, I looked at their selection of Gibson LP Studios. There are some really good deals on used ones. Sometimes you can even make an offer and get an even better deal:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/elec...d-body&make[]=gibson&ships_to=&sort=price|asc

If you're really budget-minded, maybe look at Agile by Rondo. Their LP knockoffs actually get really good reviews. I have a Rondo SX bass, and it's a piece of shit. But the Agile line seems to be a cut above.

I've got some SX stuff, and I like it, for the most part. The hardware is crap, though.

I have an Agile 335 knockoff. It's Korean, and I'd pu it about on par with Korean Epi's, except I don't think the hardware's quite as good. I've played an Agile 2000 LP, and I was unimpressed, but then it was only a 200 guitar new.

I've been spending way too much time on Reverb.com lately. Just out of curiosity, I looked at their selection of Gibson LP Studios. There are some really good deals on used ones. Sometimes you can even make an offer and get an even better deal:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/elec...d-body&make[]=gibson&ships_to=&sort=price|asc

If you're really budget-minded, maybe look at Agile by Rondo. Their LP knockoffs actually get really good reviews. I have a Rondo SX bass, and it's a piece of shit. But the Agile line seems to be a cut above.
Wow, those are some really good prices on some of those LP studios...

Gotta say, I wish I would've seen those before I dropped what I did on a brand new one. :facepalm:

Get over to GC and play some of them!
AS already mentioned, you've got to play hte actual Epi if you go that way, because thier QC sucks and there's a lot of variation form one example to the next. Great thing about the Standard Pro you linked originally is the coil-splitting pickups - this can give you a nice selection of different sounds, not just hte usual LP humbucking sound.
If you decide to buy from GC, wait until you can get a 10% or greater discount - they have coupon deals all the time, and even though Epis may be on the 'not included' list, they can, in fact, be discounted.

Wow, those are some really good prices on some of those LP studios...

Yeah, that site is downright dangerous if you have GAS. I made the mistake of liking them on Facebook, so I get these deadly tempting listing spotlights every day. I can't look away...

I've got some SX stuff, and I like it, for the most part. The hardware is crap, though.

I have an Agile 335 knockoff. It's Korean, and I'd pu it about on par with Korean Epi's, except I don't think the hardware's quite as good. I've played an Agile 2000 LP, and I was unimpressed, but then it was only a 200 guitar new.

That's pretty much my take on them as well. Lots of bang for the buck, but you have to remember how few bucks they cost :D

'59 in the neck and a JB at the bridge. It's a scorcher!
How are you finding that combination? It's exactly what I am considering for my next guitar, although given I already have a 59 in the neck of my current guitar I was thinking of trying a Jazz instead

How are you finding that combination? It's exactly what I am considering for my next guitar, although given I already have a 59 in the neck of my current guitar I was thinking of trying a Jazz instead
Honestly, I prefer the '59 over the jazz. There's not a huge difference between the two but the '59 just sounds...better to me. FWIW, I had the Jazz in an SG so it was up a gibson 490 and it just didn't fit the bill for the application. I think an old Schecter that I had had the Jazz in it too, though, combined with the JB at bridge. The '59 just has a little more character to it, IMO.

But, worst case scenario, if you do go with the Jazz it's not a permanent thing and you could always change it out.

Last edited:
So went to GC and test drove about 7-8 guitars. I used an Orange amp and zeroed out everything. Used it for all guitars. Well, the EPI LP Pro didn't sound as good as it looked, The had a few PRS SE's used, but still wasn't impressed with the sound. Tried a Fender semi hollow body, it sounded better than I thought it would. Went through a few more but the LTD (EC-401VF DMZ LD) really had the most pleasant sound.

For the next week, I will run this through my little Hofner KV40 amp and through the interface. From the preliminary test, this might be what I was looking for. Pretty heavy, I mean LP heavy. Construction looks good and no fret buzz. I will report back let everyone know after a week and some more time with it.

I really appreciate everyone giving me suggestions as it narrowed down the field, but widened my search.

Sweet, have fun with the LTD! They're really pretty great for the $$$; if yours has aftermarket PU's in it then you should have a gem.

Cheers, I do love the 59. Sounds fucking great when tapped to which I tend to do a lot on the neck, the tapped 59 with the full pearly gates on the bridge are a great pair. Will seriously think about the Jazz before making my final decision.

Congrats mate. Now where's the pic? Come on, guitar ****

---------- Update ----------

Eh... Prawn

The guys over at the Duncan forum all seem to generally not like the 59 in the neck of a mahogany guitar. I have one in an Epi Explorer and I like it just fine. The stereotypical Duncan setup is a JB bridge / Jazz neck (Seymour's favorite combo) as sort of the generic rock setup. I've been wanting to get that combo just to see what it's all about and say I tried it. That and a WLH set, and some Seths.

Congrats mate. Now where's the pic? Come on, guitar ****

Eh... Prawn

Guitars made out of seafood?

DM60, are you in the UK. If so, I have the perfect guitar for you. a 1979 Washburn Hawk.

GIMMIE !!! one of the best guitars i ever played :D (watched one go on ebay for silly money a few months back :( )

only nit i had with it was my fingers rapping on the cutaway :)

love the look of the chapman DM ... but whatever you go for im sure you`ll defo play the fooker first :)

GIMMIE !!! one of the best guitars i ever played :D (watched one go on ebay for silly money a few months back :( )

only nit i had with it was my fingers rapping on the cutaway :)

love the look of the chapman DM ... but whatever you go for im sure you`ll defo play the fooker first :)
Where are you located? You're welcome to give it a go.

Back