I Wanna Do Somethin Weird to Ya

The chorus vocal is a bit dark EQ-wise, probably cuz of proximity effect. Maybe reduce just a *touch* of that darkness.

Where'd you get the male vocal? Bought sample?

Really fun tune. It works.

I like "Unring the Bell" and "Ride" -- how'd you get that deep drum on the latter? Is that a timpani with heavy reverb?

All the material on your site is good.

It's not often that I listen to something in the clinic and wonder what the fuck just happened after the song is over. Kudos for a fun song idea. It's like Dr. Demento meets Man Man or something...

I felt like the vocal was too loud, especially at first before the song grabbed me. The ratio between chorus to verse was skewed too far towards refrains of the chorus for me, but arrangement isn't really the point in the clinic. But if just one chorus refrain was replaced with another verse or other idea it would go a long way.

The distorted/warped voice at the very end was unintelligible. Maybe that's the point, but if the content of the sample was part of the joke, I wasn't able to get it since I couldn't understand it. I did giggle at the "ewww' take though.

I'm glad that you posted this, its good to get some levity around here!

I'd like the vocal level lifted in the 1st chorus - it's fine in the 2nd.
From woof to quack, L to R is cool.
A little variety in the twangy guitar line would be nice but not essential.
The ending is cool too.
I enjoyed.

It's kind of like deconstructed retro meets euro mayhem.

It is what it is, so who is to stay what should be changed? However, vocals are a bit bottomy and in my view could be a bit thinner, and the dog bark could be a bit further back. But then again, maybe not.

I agree the dog is a bit loud, but maybe not. Well said.

I love this so much.

What does that guy say at the end that makes her say, "ew"? That's what I want to know. Make a sequel!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Dobro: I assume you mean the part that starts, "Don't be scared..." I was wondering if anyone would notice that. I need to resing it. I was too close to the mic there and I haven't been able to fix it with EQ. Bought sample, LOL. That's my husband. He wants to be referred to as "Featuring Captain Banana!".

4tracker: Thank you for all the kind words. In "Ride", that's just a Logic drum loop. It worked, I didn't really change it.

Tadpui: Thank you, a high compliment. Yeah, I think it does start too loud with the vocal. Don't know why I didn't go ahead and change that already. Thanks. That is also a really good point about the arrangement. I agree. That is a harder change, I'll see if I have enough love for this song to see that change through.

You are not supposed to understand what the person on the phone is saying. It is just too sick, so I reversed the audio.

Rayc: Thank you. I agree with all of those. That guitar was kind of nagging at me and it does need some change over time, or something. No one has said ditch or change the ending, which was one of my questions.

Gecko zzed: Those sound like two really cool things, so thanks. Yeah I have to deal with that vocal. What a pain. I went back and forth on the dog and decided to leave it kind of "annoying" on purpose.

Thanks again everyone.

4tracker: Thank you for all the kind words. In "Ride", that's just a Logic drum loop. It worked, I didn't really change it.

Shocked! Are you signed? Get signed.

I've had your album on repeat all day. Expect your plays on soundcloud to shoot up. haha. Unring the bell is freaking incredible. Do you play on these songs or are they all samples?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Dobro: I assume you mean the part that starts, "Don't be scared..." I was wondering if anyone would notice that. I need to resing it. I was too close to the mic there and I haven't been able to fix it with EQ. Bought sample, LOL. That's my husband. He wants to be referred to as "Featuring Captain Banana!".

Absolutely excellent. My regards to Cptn Banana.

+1 for the vocal part starting with "don't be scared" being too dark.

A lot of the percussion felt kind of repetitive. You've got a lot of cool sounds; it just needs a tad more variety to distract from the in-box nature of things.

What does that guy say at the end that makes her say, "ew"? That's what I want to know. Make a sequel!

Backmask of "Mary had a little lamb"

Did you use to live in Minnesota? It sure does have that Min/Wis accent. I have been to Ann Arbor, but I don't remember the accent being that pronounced.

Good tune and interesting. More dynamics in the samples would help kick it into a higher production. When you get into sampling, dynamics and variation is the tool you have to work with. Like what a lot of people do in the EDM world. Textures, sound manipulation, etc.

I didn't listen to this for a long time because I was scared to. But eventually I listened to it...and now I'm damaged goods. So....I was right.

The lead vocal could have been less muddy...the lyrics are a bit hard to make out because of that.

It was truly fun. Thanks.

Is that a real dog bark or a dog barking sim?
Ha!
Great chorus.

I think that vocals lose some clarity in the busy bit before the chorus.

VomitHatSteve and DM60: I think that's what I don't like most about this one: it sounds "flat", so thanks for the drum and dynamics suggestions. I think that could help a lot. I don't have an accent. Everyone else does.

Stugort: Thanks?

Schwarzenyaeger: Youtube "Dogs barking sound effect". That's our duck though.

Back