New Original - how's it sounding?

Here's some feedback:

andrushkiwt.jpg

I see maybe 11 out of 16 posts for your own tunes in the clinic, and out of the 5 times you commented on other people's tunes, it went no deeper than 'great tune'. I find this incredibly useful feedback. How about you?

Hey there, thank you for responding. It's no excuse, but I spend an extraordinary amount of time on mixing my tracks aside from work and school, which are both full-time. You re right that it wouldn't be very fair or welcoming to only post and not reply. However, I surely contribute more than "great tune". Usually, my responses indicate that I am the least experienced person here and I always provide whatever feedback I can, which is quite limited since I haven't been mixing anything for long.

On the other side, I can't control how often others post. I like to have a few places to bounce the mix off of before I do further things with it. This forum is one of them. If I mix a track once or twice in two weeks, should I wait for others to post more tracks? I'm not sure the forum etiquette, but my instinct tells me that isn't necessary. If the forum users would like me to stop posting here, that's ok with me. Some of you guys have been very welcoming and others not so much. ;)

Again, I really do regret that I don't have a ton to give to others. I listen to tracks here often, take notes, and comment when I feel that I have something to give...even if it's "the song itself is great". Sometimes musicians like to hear that...you know? Its a recording forum...but the song is still important.

Anyways, I'm sorry to trouble you so much that you needed to take a screen shot and tell me how it is! I'll leave you be. Thanks pal!

Some of the regulars here (I'm one of them) want to encourage people to contribute to this forum as much as they take from it. If you find this sort of encouragement discouraging, perhaps you should look at that.

Yea OP, it is not against you, but for the board. To make this place work, we really have to give as much as we take. No one is insulting you, just trying to make you (and those who read these posts) more aware.

Sounded good. I think it could really do with some bottom treatment. Push some up in the 50-250 range (not 100%, just a guess) but it does need some more ass from what I heard.

If your intent was to encourage, you have an odd way of demonstrating it. Keep in mind that some of those posts you pictured were from February. You are deceiving others to make it seem as if they are the most recent posts in the forum, when simply , they are the most recently "commented on". I cannot help it if someone comments On a post of mine from months ago and it is thereby moved to the front of the list. My overall posts are surely nowhere near others, even if you were to calculate posts per week or some other calculation. You also misrepresented the input I leave for others. There isn't a single comment from me that States "great tune", or the like, without further explanation or thoughts.

Your intent didn't come across to me. Sorry, if I misunderstood. But it just wasn't there. In any case, I don't want anyone here to think I'm not responding to their posts, so I will be sure to up my responses. Thanks for pointing it out.

You also misrepresented the input I leave for others. There isn't a single comment from me that States "great tune", or the like, without further explanation or thoughts.

Check these last five comments you made in this forum.

a minute in, and I;m really digging it! nice work. silly comment, but I really like the sound of the overheads.

Short. Pat on the back.

Really liked it. Some really cool ideas - that's the most fun in writing, coming up with cool little layers to add to what's already going on. Great job

Short. Pat on the back.

sounds great. Can't think of much to change. Panning sounds fine to me. Nice tones too. Well done!

You were right about that one. The mix rocked.

Listened to the first track just now. Love the tone of the vox. Big sounding, like the "raspiness". You know I'm the not the most experienced one here, but I can say that I truly enjoyed it. Reminds me of something I'd hear while watching "Inside Llewyn Davis".

Encouraging, I suppose, but how useful for the person looking to improve the mix?

Cool tune, I wasn't a fan of the distortion though. Maybe just less of it would seem more in place, now that I think about it. I really liked the instrument in the end, left panned, that cuts in and out...cool effect. The first thing I thought was that the snare needed something. It seemed too hollow and dead, to me anyway. I'm not a drummer, and not too experienced with mixing, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I was really hoping for some vox too...I had a good melody going in my head. ha. nice job though!

Of the last five mixes you commented on, this is the only one that offers anything that the mixer can try out in order to improve things. With the exception of this last comment, your comments are short and offer nothing that's going to help the other person.

Check these last five comments you made in this forum.

Short. Pat on the back.

Short. Pat on the back.

You were right about that one. The mix rocked.

Encouraging, I suppose, but how useful for the person looking to improve the mix?

Of the last five mixes you commented on, this is the only one that offers anything that the mixer can try out in order to improve things. With the exception of this last comment, your comments are short and offer nothing that's going to help the other person.

Thank you for proving to everyone that your original comment, verbatim, was a lie.

If you hold a personal requirement for what, precisely, my post should contain...please share that with me. You should also make a master post in the forum for everyone to see. That way, they will all see what it is you are looking for!

But seriously , I'm willing to bet many ppl here now see you differently after that tantrum. Take care dude.

Hey. The regulars of this forum get pissed off with takers, of which there are many. Dobro had a bee in his bonnet about it and you were the fall guy tonight.

I gave you the feedback I did to see how you'd handle it. I found you defensive, whiny and unconvincing. If I see you contributing more to the forum than the occasional pat on the back, I'll review your stuff. Otherwise, I won't.

Frankly, it's the other way around. It seems you're missing his point and dwelling on semantics.
I almost didn't even want to bother to comment after reading your responses.

But for what it's worth, I thought the mix very hi-mid-dy esp the guitars, almost grating, but that may very well because (as stated prev) it needs more bottom. I know you need to keep the guitars out of the way,
but I feel their a little too anemic right now. Give em some more beef!

I gave you the feedback I did to see how you'd handle it. I found you defensive, whiny and unconvincing. If I see you contributing more to the forum than the occasional pat on the back, I'll review your stuff. Otherwise, I won't.

Haha, I'm sure that's the reason! A test! Come on dude, you aren't fooling anyone. The point is, you fabricated everything in your original comment. If that's what ppl appreciate, then this is the place for you. I'll find another spot.

Complete lies aren't semantics, friend. As the guy up a few said...he was feeling it tonight and took it out on me. My sentiments exactly.

---------- Update ----------

Complete lies aren't semantics, friend. As the guy up a few said...he was feeling it tonight and took it out on me. My sentiments exactly.

---------- Update ----------

I said, and I quote: "...out of the 5 times you commented on other people's tunes, it went no deeper than 'great tune'."

I didn't say you said nothing more than 'great tune'; I said it went no deeper than 'great tune'. You offered nothing more significant or useful than 'great tune'. Pat on the back, like I said. It wasn't a lie, it was a pretty accurate summation of what you've offered in this forum. But you're being defensive, like I said. Get over it.

I said, and I quote: "...out of the 5 times you commented on other people's tunes, it went no deeper than 'great tune'."

I didn't say you said nothing more than 'great tune'; I said it went no deeper than 'great tune'. You offered nothing more significant or useful than 'great tune'. Pat on the back, like I said. It wasn't a lie, it was a pretty accurate summation of what you've offered in this forum. But you're being defensive, like I said. Get over it.

Now you're just being ridiculous. And here is a quote from you...on something I originally wrote:

"Cool tune, I wasn't a fan of the distortion though. Maybe just less of it would seem more in place, now that I think about it. I really liked the instrument in the end, left panned, that cuts in and out...cool effect. The first thing I thought was that the snare needed something. It seemed too hollow and dead, to me anyway. I'm not a drummer, and not too experienced with mixing, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I was really hoping for some vox too...I had a good melody going in my head. ha. nice job though!"

I think I'm talking to a wall here, but that clearly is more than "great tune". If that's how you see it, then I'm afraid you have more problems that need to be addressed.

"But you're being defensive, like I said. Get over it"

- sorry! you picked the wrong dude to deface. It isn't your forum, and your critique of my evaluation isn't the same as the person whose work I commented on. What should I have been? Offensive? You already did that!

But for what it's worth, I thought the mix very hi-mid-dy esp the guitars, almost grating, but that may very well because (as stated prev) it needs more bottom. I know you need to keep the guitars out of the way,
but I feel their a little too anemic right now. Give em some more beef!

More bottom in the guitars? What did you think of the bass? Just trying to pinpoint what is lacking bottom; I cut a bit around 300hz on the guitars, but then added a little back. Maybe I should add more then. Thanks

Now you're just being ridiculous. And here is a quote from you...on something I originally wrote:

"Cool tune, I wasn't a fan of the distortion though. Maybe just less of it would seem more in place, now that I think about it. I really liked the instrument in the end, left panned, that cuts in and out...cool effect. The first thing I thought was that the snare needed something. It seemed too hollow and dead, to me anyway. I'm not a drummer, and not too experienced with mixing, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I was really hoping for some vox too...I had a good melody going in my head. ha. nice job though!"

I think I'm talking to a wall here, but that clearly is more than "great tune". If that's how you see it, then I'm afraid you have more problems that need to be addressed.

Yeah, and that three-line response was ONE response out of the last SIXTEEN you posted in this forum! You're straining at hair-splitting and ignoring my main point, which is that you don't contribute very much to this forum. Do the math: one response out of sixteen could possibly have been construed as slightly useful. The rest of those sixteen posts is either:

* your own stuff

* superficial gladhanding

I've enjoyed giving you the opportunity to show everyone what you're about. Carry on. :thumbs up:

Back