Recording sounds like ****, even with killer tone

sturegren

Hello!

So, first of all, I'm using a Line6 POD HD500x to simulate amplifiers, and I use Ableton Live Lite 7 (Line6 version that was included when I bought a Line6 UX2 interface).

So, what is my problem? My recordings sounds horrible. Unusual? No, not really. But the odd thing is that when I'm jamming through the HD500x with the same preset, it sounds awesome. The tone is just sick, it's EXACTLY what I want. BUT, when recording, it just sounds HORRIBLE.
Maybe I should add that what I'm trying to record is metalcore.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks.

What the problem might be....my gut instinct tells me that "Line 6 POD" and "Metalcore" are probably the biggest problems, but besides that, let's hear it.

There's no way to tell without hearing it. Post up your example please. Any answers you get will be uninformed guesses without hearing it.

Alright, look I'm really new to this stuff, mixing isn't really something I've been looking that much into yet, so I'm obviously expecting it to sound very good.
What my problem is, is that what the DAW is capturing doesn't sound close to what comes out of my speakers when jamming.
The preset that I'm using has two different amplifiers panned left/right, so it creates a great stereo sound when jamming, I'm thinking this might be at least one of the problems, considering that the sound coming from the DAW is centered?

Ah, okay. See? We need these little bits of info to form ideas about what might be wrong.

So, it sounds like you're recording to mono, or your playback is set to mono. Fix that.

Your soundcloud clip is stereo btw.

Aye, the clip I uploaded on soundcloud is 4 guitars which I've panned left/right after recording, all tracks gets recorded center panned.
Here's a pic of my audio settings inside the DAW.
print.png

Try it without recording 4 friggin stereo presets. That's insane.

Dial in a POD sound, one amp, set to mono, and record it to a mono track.

Dial in another amp, record it to another mono track.

Start with those two tracks, pan em wide. Then fill in with more of the same. 4 mono tracks will probably sound better than 4 fudged stereo tracks.

Ah so instead of using a stereo preset, you suggest that I do one separate track for each amp? Hmm, sounds reasonable. Should I also choose mono in the audio input settings?

Ah so instead of using a stereo preset, you suggest that I do one separate track for each amp? Hmm, sounds reasonable. Should I also choose mono in the audio input settings?

Yes, I'd suggest you go mono. That's how *most* amps are recorded at the most basic level, and even at the pro level. It's easier to deal with, and you get a non-compromised clean recording. You'll make your own stereo sound with individual mono tracks.

Use your POD as one amp. Record it to one mono track. You'll get one waveform. Repeat as many times as you'd like. Tip: Do something different with each track. Use a different amp, setting, guitar, something. That will sound HUGE.

Another thing about using the stereo presets - it's still just one performance.

Two different guitar takes in mono sounds bigger than one take in stereo. The tiny little inconsistencies between performances are a good thing when trying to get awesome guitar tracks.

Alright.
It's almost 5AM here in Sweden, so I'm gonna try this all out tomorrow. I'll come back with results how it worked out. Thanks for the advice!

I actually was a guest on a podcast today, and I made a joke about how lots of people in metal do those MIDI drums now, and I was proud of a particular band for coming in and actually recording live drums for once.

Shame what technology has done now. I actually know a guy, calls himself a recording engineer, but does MIDI drums, MIDI bass guitar, DI electric guitar, and then calls himself a "recording engineer."

What do you record exactly? xD

I actually was a guest on a podcast today, and I made a joke about how lots of people in metal do those MIDI drums now, and I was proud of a particular band for coming in and actually recording live drums for once.

Shame what technology has done now. I actually know a guy, calls himself a recording engineer, but does MIDI drums, MIDI bass guitar, DI electric guitar, and then calls himself a "recording engineer."

What do you record exactly? xD

Nothing. Metal, metalcore, grindcore, metalgrind, applecore, most of the modern popular metals and cores are just as fake, edited, and processed as commercial pop music. It's the exact same shit. Exact same. Listen to the example the OP posted. Nothing in that mix sounds real to me except for the mallcore tough guy screamgrowling the vocals. I'd bet the only microphone used in that entire mix was for vocals. The sad part to me is no one cares. It's expected. That's the computerized typewriter sounding mix that people want to emulate.

Well, I'm not trying to make "real" music at this point, I'm just trying to get started. Besides, I'm not trying to copy these bands. I know what you mean, but all bands aren't doing it like that.

Yes, I'm exporting drums from Guitar Pro 6 at the moment. No, I'm not trying to make (or expecting it to come out as) great music. All I'm trying to do it getting started in recording and writing my own songs.

Back