eqing question

I also always have to remember that most guys here are talking ITB setups...and I'm always thinking OTB, which is more dependant on what the existing hardware allows. I could slap an EQ on one console Aux bus, but that requires a hardware EQ to be used up just for that, so I use the EQ in the reverb units. :D

Aye, I suppose you have to be so much more efficient with hardware. Fair play.

Yeah...I know what you mean about the "bright room" concept...though those tend to be things like tiled rooms and very hard, reflective rooms, which "generally" don't sound that great for the majority of things.

I see what you mean. I'd never be going that far. I suppose that's the point where you wanna try a different mic/position/whatever.

You could liken my verb eq to maybe ripping the curtains down in your tracking room or something like that. IDK. It's subtle enough.

I know, I know...Who's got curtains in their tracking room, right?

OOO a debate.. I got $5 on the big guy!!!!

Naaa...not really a debate.

Reverb is a pretty personal taste thing. Everyone has their "reverb mojo"...so it's always interesting to hear what people do with it.

My big go-to on the reverb front is a "Gold Vocal Plate" preset that I dialed in over time to my liking...and then made three of my own presets out of it (talking hardware unit here), so that I have a short, medium and long version to pick from.

I have also have a couple of Hall types (short and long) that I use occassionallhy on some things....and then maybe another dozen of my favorites that cover a good variety of room/hall/plate sounds....but the "Gold Vocal Plate" choices get used the most.

I have 4 hardware units....2 identical + 2 identical....each pair is loaded with the same presets as its conterpart, and I can just call up what I need and patch it into one of the 6 Aux buses on my console, though I rarely use more than 2 reverb boxes/types at any one time.

I know, I know...Who's got curtains in their tracking room, right?

I have blinds....but that's 'cuz of three large windows looking out into the garden. :)
My room is not dead and not bright/live....it's got a very short, warm and mellow reverb...on tracks, it's not obvious at all, so I always add my ambience after the fact, but if I don't use any on some tracks, they still don't have that dead-dry sound.

Naaa...not really a debate.
What's that?

My big go-to on the reverb front is a "Gold Vocal Plate" preset that I dialed in over time to my liking...and then made three of my own presets out of it (talking hardware unit here), so that I have a short, medium and long version to pick from.

I have also have a couple of Hall types (short and long) that I use occassionallhy on some things....and then maybe another dozen of my favorites that cover a good variety of room/hall/plate sounds....but the "Gold Vocal Plate" choices get used the most.

That's pretty cool. My goto preset <spits> is actually a vocal plate. I always deviate from it and usually in the same ways, but it's my goto starting point for a lot of things of late.

I was gifted a stack of hardware verbs / time effects rack units a while back. Nothing too fancy. All alesis.
I did like the idea of somehow integrating them but they all got sold in the end.

My defaults on verb have been depending on which DAW

PC using Mixcraft I just use the Classic Reverd with what it calls a Vocal Ambient. I usually turn the wet down so it's barely noticeable but the vocal doesn't sound as dry.

On the Mac with Logic I really like the Blue Plate, again I crank the wet way down but I've always just added it to my main track and had no really started using sends on thought to duplicate the audio. Some great info here guys and I am really enjoying it!

My defaults on verb have been depending on which DAW

PC using Mixcraft I just use the Classic Reverd with what it calls a Vocal Ambient. I usually turn the wet down so it's barely noticeable but the vocal doesn't sound as dry.

You want to turn the Wet to 100%...and then adjust the Send to it and/or the reverb level output.
You really don't want your dry being boosted by the reverb....IMO.

I think the only thing the Dry/Wet option is good for is when you can't split your signal routing (no Aux)....otherwise, it can mess up your level balances, and/or you get stuck with the Dry/Wet ratio of a given reverb...and then when you change the reverb preset...everything goes out with it.

On the Mac with Logic I really like the Blue Plate, again I crank the wet way down but I've always just added it to my main track and had no really started using sends on thought to duplicate the audio. Some great info here guys and I am really enjoying it!

Yeah, you can use the plug straight on your track and adjust the wet dry, or you can use it on a parallel track or an aux track and (probably) keep it wet.
It's totally preference.

I find that using an aux gives you greater control, lets you send other things to the same verb (this can be VERY useful), and it lets you use other effects before the verb if built in eq isn't an option.

Generally I keep the verb on an aux at 100% wet, then the send level or aux track volume fader serves as the verb amount control.
Like you say, shedloads of ways to skin the cat.

Yeah I guess I need to read up on Aux Sends cause that sounds more like what I want to do.

thanks to you both! I tried to rep but it said I have to spread it around first.. Makes it sound so dirty..

Oh while I have your attention here, I do have one other quick question. Have either of you use Studio One or the software that comes with a Studiolive interface? I'm considering switching over to it when my new interface comes in. From looking at videos on youtube it seems pretty good.

That means you either caught them, or got away from them.......:p

Both.

[Al Bundy]Back in my (American) football days I was a speedster. I was crazy fast. Black kid fast. I mostly played defense as a free safety and returned punts/kicks. The free safety's job is to roam the back of the defense and provide additional help in pass coverage and act as a safety net. On punts and kicks I'd catch the ball and just go for daylight. It didn't take too much to knock me down but you had to catch me first and if I found a seam I was gone. :D[/Al Bundy]

Back