best computer for producing

tazkatraz

im about to trash my computer and gettin me a top o' da line computer, and i wanna make sure i get the best possible one for production, i know about the mac g4 being popular cuz it got like a gig processor or some shit like that but i know there gotta be something better, right? anyways money is not an object, i just inherited 10 jeez so any ideas?

out.

It's your lucky day homey hehehe

Yo.. The G4 is tight right.. But if you stay in the IBM/PC field you can take full advantage of all the programs they have for windows.. you know about the Gig P4's and Amd Athlon processors right ? Well those suckaz are out and there for you to take full advantage of.. so you can get that gig/gig.4 speed that the G4's have at half the price of a G4 and take advantage of the compatiblity things that windows supports. If you ask me.. buy all the shit you need as far as the parts and have someone build you a custom system with the P4 or Athlon's or, just out right buy it assembled. You'll definitely come out spending half of what you spend on a G4 with about the same if not more power dawg. Again.. my opinion... Check out the specs and upgrade features and software compatibility that pc's have over macs. Mac doesnt really stack up anymore when you think about it hehehhe. but shop around and check it out for yourself

P.S. "I wish i had ten geez to spend on some fly as peices hehehe"

I agree with LA, I would go to Digidesign, the makers of Pro Tools and have them build you a PC based system.
and I also wished I had 10 G's to spend!!!!!!!

Carter

GODDAMNIT DONT SPEND IT ALL IN ONE PLACE!!!!

I like macs, macs are good macs are your friend. I'd suggest getting a mac and digital performer with a motu interface. But really pc's are nice and cheap, and theres good hip hop making software for them about, so get whatever depending on the software your going to use.

Pro tools is basically a mac deal. Their expensive systems are a mac deal though there is the windows nt version wich kind of flopped. Id suggest if you had $50,000 to get the full blow pro tools, but with $10,000 Id say most definately do not get it(for real). What good would it be without all those other essential elements?

What you need to do is get a few quite nice microphones, some really quite nice moniters, some not to shabby a/d/a, some abolutely sporting pre amps, a nice lexicon reverb, a few rack spaces of eq and compression, a collection of plug ins such as the waves native gold bundle, a decent array of synths(rompler, virtual analog and sampler) and a control serfice.

If you buy the $10,000 system youll have blow your wad. You must budget to take into consideration all the factors I laid out. If you dont spend your money wisely Im going to morph into binary code and traverse the internet to arise from your computer and kick your ass(nothing personal).

Also, dont listen to anything these guys tell you here. There are a few knowledgable guys that you should really listen to but most of us are jerk off's.
What I'd suggest is going to more professional forum and saying "i have $10,000 help me budget my daw" or else stick around so you can surmise whos full of shit.

And before you pay the piper dont think twice THINK THRICE!

invest the 10 grand. Sqeak along for a little while on your day job. You'll thank yourself later.

xoxo

If your adventurous:
PBHG select equity
Dresdner Biotchnology
Firsthand Technology value

All I can say is I was up by %30 now Im down %60. If you throw some money in right now, in 5 years youll either be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy up, or just breaking even.

The thing is stocks have price to earnings ratio's, theyre still quite high historically speaking. Its a friggin' bloodbath.

PC.. Question

Ok now that youve insulted all of us.. the man asked a question about which PC to buy.. not effects units or anything else.. He said Personal Computer. So i answer accordingly. PC

Thank you :)

Quote thyself

robert jaybird said:
I like macs, macs are good macs are your friend. I'd suggest getting a mac and digital performer with a motu interface. But really pc's are nice and cheap, and theres good hip hop making software for them about, so get whatever depending on the software your going to use.

when ol' boy brought up pro tools I just had to chime in . It seems I have answered the original question. Id really have to say it depends on how you want to work, and what software your looking to run. The original question was its self quite open ended, no?
As someone who has no magic powers beyond a search engine and life experience I find it a silly question that one could answer themselves. Really, whats a better question is what hardware runs best with wich pc configurations and software.

When somone says AYO DAWG IM BOUTS TO GET THA SPACE AGE NEW GIGGITY G$4 FO' SHEEZA, That strikes me as a more general statement, so I gave a more general answer. So, if you dont like it sorry, you didnt ask the question. Im not putting down YOUR answer, it was so vague in regards to configuration options that theres not much to put down.

So, now you can flame me, then I can flame back and we'll have gotten nowhere. Sounds like fun eh?

thanx

i appreciate the help, really...........im still not quite sure what to do though, i didnt even know i could get digi design to customize a pc for me, that might be a great idea thanx.

Actually digidesign DOES NOT CUSTOMISE PC'S. THEY DONT DO THAT.

If you want a custom system check drastiksolutions or wave digital. Digidesign sells custom hardware that fits in your system to run pro tools. As I said, the pc version was a flop. Anyone who says get the pc version is a fucking retard. This is specific to pro tools mind you, and not other software/hardware or the 001 in wich case either will do. Though with the 001 all the plug ins are on mac.

Jay bird,

what do you run in your system smartass???

This is what happens when you insult someone you dont know.....

Carter

Hey tazkatraz,

Getting a custom built computer is a great way to go.

The only thing I can offer here is to try and determine what kind of software you want to put on it. Once that is determined then get the puter spec'd out for that.

Just for reference, I was going to post the link to drasticsolutions here for ya. Well guess what, their web site just has their phone number scrolling across the page. Theyused to have a pretty decent site. Don't know what the deal is there, but it may mean trouble.

Lots of luck to you and happy recording

Peace
Joe

Yo, bird.. I dont think you're a smartass.
Dont worry about what anyone says.. keep giving good advice.

Its really a shame that people start to get all agitated about things on a board like this where 99% of the people are here to LEARN and DISCUSS things.

This place isn't about your ego.

It isnt about who's "right" or not.

Opinions are like a-holes, and everyone should recognise that. And I'm gonna ask that if we feel like calling people names and getting personal, that we take it over to the Dragon Cave and at least TRY to stay on topc in the forums. I say "we" cuz I know I'm at least as bad as the greenest newbie when it comes to insulting people. I like it. I do it for fun. But I'm MUCH more interested in thoughtful discussion and accurate information than egos and personality battles.

SO.. ontopic.
Forget Pro tools. Im with whoever said it... If youre gonna spend it ALL (which you shouldnt..) spend $3k on a computer and $7k on outboard gear. Nice mics. Nice board. nice pres. a nice mic thru a nice pre and a nice board onto Cool Edit will sound better than a shitty akgc1000 thru a mackie into pro tools. I say that cuz Ive tried them both, and thats what I heard. Id go PC, cuz its flexible. Perhaps a Nuendo setup... but you might want something more MIDI friendly. By the time you buy, you should know more than any of us about the platform you choose... unless it happens to be the one we use. Read, read, and read some more. Try demos. Get the computer first and research for a month before you buy software. or two months.

anyway, whatever you do, dont buy a tascam 788;)

xoxo

"If you want a custom system check drastiksolutions or wave digital. Digidesign sells custom hardware that fits in your system to run pro tools. As I said, the pc version was a flop. Anyone who says get the pc version is a fucking retard. This is specific to pro tools mind you, and not other software/hardware or the 001 in wich case either will do. Though with the 001 all the plug ins are on mac."

I'll be calm about this one, you can't tell me anything about Pro Tools because I run Pro Tools 24/mix, not 001. all the plug in's are in the PC based TDM system, I allready had a pc based system and I switched over to a NT platform and I love it, I didnt see a reason to go out and buy a "Mac" Ive got close to 3 g's in the computer and about 14 G's in my Pro Tools set-up so you are not even close.

Jay bird you are correct that Digidesign does not sell the computers but they will guide you in the right direction on where to get a Digidesign approved computer. (That's what I meant earlier in this thread.)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by robert jaybird

Now I dont understand why you are telling him to purchase the above when you run Pro Tools 001?????

Just like you said there are alot of people in the BBS that dont know what they are talking about and even after doing music for 14 years I'm still learning, but its cool I'm not mad!!!!!

Happy Recording to all

Carter

Wheres the pudding?

Carter said:
I agree with LA, I would go to Digidesign, the makers of Pro Tools and have them build you a PC based system.
and I also wished I had 10 G's to spend!!!!!!!

Carter

Thats funny carter because a while back in the newbies forum you said you were running pro tools LE on a delta 44. When I brought up that it doesnt work with the delta soundcards because they dont support direct connect, you didnt reply:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=23893

Are you using pro tools free?

Id also add that to use pro tools nt is a mistake imho, there are just fewer plug in options available. For Pro tools NT there are no waves or Mc Dsp plug ins. Thats enough reason for me not to go NT.
www.digidevelopers.com

Also, A pro tools system when all's said and done will REALLY end up costing you more like $20,000. This is why I suggested its only worth it if you have $50,000

even if you are running a PT mix system, that doesnt change the fact that I am hitting the nail on the head here. Id suggest getting the fastest PC affordable and have nuendo running on it if you want a pc. I stand by my advice that on a $10,000 budget that is not enough for a pt mix system if you want to do it right. In fact I stand by all I've said in this thread.

Lastly, Id state the only reason I responded to this in the first place was because $10,000 is a nice chunk of change, and honestly if tazkatraz made a decision based on BAD INFORMATION id feel bad. Im not giving bad information here.

Last edited:
True, I was running Pro Tools LE (toolbox xe) and I decided to step up to the 24/mix, I had two sound cards in my computer the 44 was used with my cubase. no direct connection to Pro Tools, I misunderstood the question in the last thread, I had no conflict between the two sound cards..... I said I wish I had 10,000 to spend because I just spent around 14,000 and I WANT MORE EQUIPMENT!!!!

Im not running a top of the line studio and I dont need all those programs and plug-ins, I have some outboard gear too!!! My bad, I never researched for other plug-ins, the ones that came with the 24/mix is enough for me.

If I need the extras then I'll take it to a big studio and let the pros add it. Thats why my rig only cost me 14,000 for tools and 3,000 for the computer. But I'am putting out some great music.

When I finish Mastering the last song I did I will post it so you can hear it.(and problably bash it)

We are suspose to be learning from each other here and not arguing with each other. I'm not a pro and I guess you arent either so lets just squash this and get back to learning and helping others.....

Happy Mixdowns

Carter

ok.. im gonna throw out another idea here.. just for shites and giggles.

the other day I got to work on a Makie hd2424 and a d8b. It seemed pretty cool... anybody use this?

Its a BOX.. with a ceron inside that handles all the recording on a dedicated OS.... It integrates with the d8b.. and seemed totally killer, with a lot of i/o options. I DIDNT however, do much with WAVEFORM EDITING while I was there.... anyone know anything about it?

xoxo

PS TAZ.... before you buy.. know everything. Eliminate all options.

x

I would go for something a bit faster than a G4. And 10 grand will get you way more than you need. I would get a Macbook Pro, it's a solid little guy.

(I see that not much has changed in the past 11 years in this sub-forum :D)

Back