Looking for a nice electric guitar

Those prices are a steal. Even if the fit and finish wasn't that great you could still afford to have the nits fixed and pro setup and it would still be a steal. There's no way I would care about blemishes on an inexpensive guitar if it plays well. Bob and Chili is good enough for me. I'm 99% sold.

Those prices are a steal. Even if the fit and finish wasn't that great you could still afford to have the nits fixed and pro setup and it would still be a steal. There's no way I would care about blemishes on an inexpensive guitar if it plays well. Bob and Chili is good enough for me. I'm 99% sold.
yeah, I'm not saying it's gonna be a 3000 dollar guitar. I'm just saying it's a good guitar for a stupid low price.
I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars ....... I chose to use it for quite a while because it's a nice ax and fun too. Something about getting a lot for cheap makes it just fun as hell to play.

As for the set up thing ..... in fairness .... I'll have to say that I might not notice how well it was set up since the first thing I always do is a full set up on any guitar I have anyway. I do all that myself.

Even if I bought a 4 thousand dollar PRS the very first thing I'd do when I got home would be to yank those strings off and restring it ..... adjust the neck if needed ....... go over the bridge for intonation and height ... adjust the p'ups and so on.
I do that as a matter of course and, in my opinion, these are basic skills that every guitarist should know. It's all easy stuff.

But having said that ....... for you guys that go pay someone to do that ..... I can see how that would be an added expense.
But even then I still think they're great bang for the buck.

Hey, I believe you guys! Would love to add a nice hollow body to my collection (my Epi Dot Studio is fine for a semi-hollow). Guess I'll keep my eyes out for a deal on these X's.
Are their acoustics any good?

Last edited:
As for the set up thing ..... in fairness .... I'll have to say that I might not notice how well it was set up since the first thing I always do is a full set up on any guitar I have anyway. I do all that myself.

I will say mine needed a set up!! String height at the 12th fret was very high. The neck needed straightening and the intonation was out. But I expected all that anyways. The fret job I didn't expect, but wasn't a big deal. The whole shebang was less than $100!! I'm good with that.

I know next to nothing about pickups, but from posts on this forum, I'd say GFS has a good reputation for pickups.

Okay, I'll put my GFS pom-poms away now. :o

Chili - the $100 mark was exactly what I was thinking the guy I use would charge. "Good guitar, stupid low price" - I'm sold :-)

Chili - the $100 mark was exactly what I was thinking the guy I use would charge. "Good guitar, stupid low price" - I'm sold :-)

Cool, hope you enjoy. especially this time of year.

Now if the OP would take our advice.... oh wait, he's not here.

I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars ....... I chose to use it for quite a while because it's a nice ax and fun too. Something about getting a lot for cheap makes it just fun as hell to play.

I'm using part of this in my sig. :laughings: Accidentally funny, confident, and true all in one succinct statement. :)

I agree about the price=fun part, too. Sometimes it's fun to slum.

of course they have a truss rod.
As for googling the quality ..... you can get the same results about it being hit or miss if you google Gibson or Fender.

Exactly. A lot of people claim MIA are just better made MIM for fender. I don't think so. I think they are both hit and miss. So MIA is the same with better pickups and hardware. Plus a lot of stuff people complain about is basic set up stuff.

man that's purty.

I'm gonna predict that if you like the sound of PAF's you'll like the stock p'ups.

Yeah, that was one of the exact ones I had my eye on too. Looks very nice.

Even at that price, I suspect my spouse would object given all of our other, more basic needs. Damn, sometimes I hate being broke pretty much all the time. Apparently not enough to do anything about it though...

Maybe I can swing this one:

XV-870 Surf Green Maple Fingerboard

The surf green looks more like mint?

man that's purty.

I'm gonna predict that if you like the sound of PAF's you'll like the stock p'ups.

I like PAFs for the most part. I just know a lot of bigger ceramic pickups sound a little dead...but who knows, could be a great deal stock.

For me mid range guitar can be an Epiphone Les Paul, SG or a Fender Mexican Strat or Tele. Depends on what sound you want.

Back