Video Editing Madness

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I shot a video last Wednesday. I have been editing the footage since then, with a small break over the weekend. I would say I have about 45 hours into it.

I had a complete video done with 20 hours, but I decided to scrap it and start over, the final edit wasn't worthy of the footage and concept.

The main thing that takes so long is the rendering. I am having to do several "mix-downs" because of the effects I want and because the software only allows for 7 video tracks. It's all in 1080p so it takes a lot of room and time. The last few renders I have done have run about 1.5 hours each. (For a 2.5 minute song!)

This render time is from the CPU limitations, all the rendering is done in the CPU, not sure if it even uses the video card GPU when rendering since I don't have a guage for it. But my Quad Core CPU is maxed at 100% when rendering. It's an Intel Duo Quad Core 6700 2.13Ghz - so it's not the latest and greatest but it is a very fast CPU, and I have an nVidia 550 ti something or other fairly decent video card. But I think that is just handling the actual preview and stuff.

Anyway - I hope to actually do the final edits and cuts today and you can all marvel at the two and a half minutes of video which took me almost an hour per second to make :p

I'm already looking at getting a new PC with an i7 CPU, supposed to be 3X faster than my current one. But I dunno if I want to drop $900 on a new PC when I have 10 unused PC's stacked in my basement. I might go through and do a fresh install of Windows on all of them and put them on CL to raise some of the cash (and clear out a lot of room in my basement...)

Anyway. I really like working with video, it's really fun. I think I want to direct music videos - so how do I do that? I think it might be a new career path for me... Any suggestions? :D

EDIT:
NEW VERSION

Last edited:
The only difference between A/V and Recording is there is more acid dropping in A/V...

All kidding aside, video production is cool stuff.
I think the music video stuff sounds pretty neat, I've actually thought about doing that myself once before. I don't like seeing it when the music video is only video of the actual band playing throughout the ENTIRE song. I like the ones were you watch the video of the completely random and meaningless video that always makes no sense, those are fun to watch! :D

Can't wait to see it man!

If you're thinking of doing videos for other artists, read this guy, Nigel Dick. He knows all about it and dispenses great info. I think he has a section called Dick Teach or something.

It's all in 1080p so it takes a lot of room and time. The last few renders I have done have run about 1.5 hours each. (For a 2.5 minute song!)

I shoot stuff in HD 1080P . . . but, because of the things you are experiencing, I usually render to an AVI in a DVD widescreen format. Otherwise, the wait is too long, the size is too big, and I get bored.

However, what you should think about, if you are still in the developmental stage trying to figure out what works best (with the video, not the rendering), is rendering to less demanding formats first to see whether you like the results. You can then go back and change things without having to wait for hours. When finally satisfied, you can do a final render to 1080p.

I shoot stuff in HD 1080P . . . but, because of the things you are experiencing, I usually render to an AVI in a DVD widescreen format. Otherwise, the wait is too long, the size is too big, and I get bored.

However, what you should think about, if you are still in the developmental stage trying to figure out what works best (with the video, not the rendering), is rendering to less demanding formats first to see whether you like the results. You can then go back and change things without having to wait for hours. When finally satisfied, you can do a final render to 1080p.

Yeah - When I test I render smaller - but since I am "mixing down" so to speak, I have to have super hi-res - otherwise when I do frame zooms on the imports it breaks up and looks like crap. There is something like 250 cuts and I had to render two mix down tracks to get to the final editing track.

This last one isn't nearly as bad, only about 11 minutes per render because there is only 3 video tracks.

Anyway I just got done and am doing the final (the real final final one this time) rendering...

So hopefully I will be uploading it to youtube in a few minutes! Man I hope it doesn't suck...

Vegas eh? Effects and all? I bought Vegas years ago for multitracking but ended up staying with Cakewalk.
Arcadeko, that's pretty slick sir.

Very cool. I'm on a slow hotel connection so I could only get about half downloaded before it all stalled out. Can't comment on the mix, but the video is cool. nice idea with the repositioning stuff. Not a big fan of the effects, color, twirling, etc, but that's personal taste. Goes to show how creative and big you can be with very little equipment and resources.

Henry, yeah, don't know what's going on. HR is the only site I can't access from home. I called my internet provider and they get it immediately. It isn't anything in my house (computer, router, modem). I think it's an errant router somewhere in the cyberspace. very strange. I googled and found a few hits about the same thing and it's always a rouge router on a main trunk line somewhere. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Very cool. I'm on a slow hotel connection so I could only get about half downloaded before it all stalled out. Can't comment on the mix, but the video is cool. nice idea with the repositioning stuff. Not a big fan of the effects, color, twirling, etc, but that's personal taste. Goes to show how creative and big you can be with very little equipment and resources.

Henry, yeah, don't know what's going on. HR is the only site I can't access from home. I called my internet provider and they get it immediately. It isn't anything in my house (computer, router, modem). I think it's an errant router somewhere in the cyberspace. very strange. I googled and found a few hits about the same thing and it's always a rouge router on a main trunk line somewhere. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

you can find out where the problem is with a traceroute
How to Use the Traceroute Command
could be as simple as changing your DNS servers to some public ones instead of your ISP - should be a setting in your router - you can probably just add a public one to the list (if it's your DNS server)

you can find out where the problem is with a traceroute
How to Use the Traceroute Command
could be as simple as changing your DNS servers to some public ones instead of your ISP - should be a setting in your router - you can probably just add a public one to the list (if it's your DNS server)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried all that. 8.8.8.8, etc. I don't want to hijack your thread with my problems, though. :)

Back