Can't get volume without clipping

blackscot

Basically as the title says -- if I turn down levels enough to completely remove clipping, I get a very quiet mix.

I've already got some moderate compression applied to try to squash the peaks, but I don't want to over-do that because of the punchy quality it imposes on the tone (the material is all acoustic guitar that I want to keep sounding more open).

I really need somehow to boost the volume on the final mix. I realize that I don't want to have red lights pegged out, but is it generally considered OK to have a few intermittant blips? Or conversely, is any level of clipping to be completely avoided?

Don't let it clip - ever.

You're probably gonna get a contingent of audiophile snobs that will say "so what if it's a quiet mix? Just turn it up". They're not based in reality. Don't listen to them.

You need to learn how to use a compressor and/or limiter if you want volume. If your mix is good, and clean, and has plenty of headroom, you can gently massage it with compression to get some volume without butchering it to death. Don't go spazzy with it though. If it's acoustic music, it doesn't need to be commercial modern rock loudness.

Basically as the title says -- if I turn down levels enough to completely remove clipping, I get a very quiet mix.

I've already got some moderate compression applied to try to squash the peaks, but I don't want to over-do that because of the punchy quality it imposes on the tone (the material is all acoustic guitar that I want to keep sounding more open).

I really need somehow to boost the volume on the final mix. I realize that I don't want to have red lights pegged out, but is it generally considered OK to have a few intermittant blips? Or conversely, is any level of clipping to be completely avoided?
so what if it's a quiet mix? Just turn it up:spank::laughings::laughings:

What r u tracking with? You are probably tracking too hot.

For acoustic you want to be using a condensor mic and track at about -18dbFS. You can get back the volume while mixing and then add your compressor/limiter.

Exactly what NY said.
Are your individual tracks (not your master) in the red while tracking? The golden rule is to leave enough headroom for the final compressor and limiter. That really isn't hard to achieve with just acoustics.

......You are probably tracking too hot.

For acoustic you want to be using a condensor mic and track at about -18dbFS.....

That is very likely it. I was assuming I should push the track level as high as possible. The "headroom" concept makes sense to me now though (I think) -- basically keeps large peaks from forming in the first place.

Oh, and I am using a SDC....probably just too hot.

It doesn't matter loud low your MIX is. That's not where you should be worrying about volume. Just get a good mix, with your levels nowhere near clipping.

Then, like Greg said, use a compressor and/or limiter to bring the volume up. That's the (faux)"Mastering" stage, and that's where you concern yourself with the volume of the final master, not the mix.

I need that plug in.
I have an old system that is still win 98 and uses dir-x plugs... I do a lot of acoustic stuff where the errant transient keeps me from bringing the track up where I want it...to do it manually takes a long time when you have numerous tracks.

Your mix, as others have said, is not what you judge your final volume with. I only ever do "fake" mastering because I don't know a ton about it, and most don't. I compress in stages. Usually like what you've done with light compression, then maybe a little bit more light compression, then limiting. Never peak.

As others have said, don't let the snobs trick you into a quiet final mix. It should be pretty loud or else nobody is going to turn it up to hear how awesome your mix is. It doesn't need to melt your ears, especially acoustic stuff, but it should have some balls to it.

You're not going to get up to commercial volume these days without slamming the absolute fuck out of everything. I know that may not be your goal (commercial, that is)...but I'm just sayin'.

Depending upon what gear you're using, I wouldn't automatically assume that the occasional red light = clipping either...

I clicked the link in the review and it took me to a medical site.

Sorry, I should have explained. Yes, their main gig is medical software, but their products page lists Peak Slammer. I just updated my article to go directly to the correct page.

--Ethan

"Unlike limiting that raises and lowers the volume over time, Peak Slammer operates on individual cycles. You specify the loudest allowable level, and Peak Slammer reduces the volume for only those cycles that exceed the threshold. On the surface this may sound like traditional limiting, but it's not because the change is immediate and lasts for the length of that one cycle only. ..."
Very interesting. I asked here once (and tried some experiments with the BlueCat dynamics plug wich also is supposed to be able to go to 'sample speed at 'zero attack/release settings..) about doing this at low ratio/low threshold.
More later gota go.. :)

Back