Power amp tubes

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
My amp came with EL34 power amp tubes and in an effort to tighten my low end up I decided that I'm replacing all the stock tubes with better tubes. While making small chat with a guitar center representative today, I was told that I could put 6l6 power amp tubes in my amp to replace the EL34 tubes.

Now, there isn't much info on my amp (peavey windsor) so I don't know if that's true... So is there any way you guys could tell me if it's common knowledge that you can replace EL34's with 6L6's with no problem?

Now, there isn't much info on my amp (peavey windsor) so I don't know if that's true... So is there any way you guys could tell me if it's common knowledge that you can replace EL34's with 6L6's with no problem?
6L6's and EL34's are not interchangeable.

If fattening the low end is what you're after, you might want to start with the speakers (or cabinet, if it's not a combo amp). You'd probably get more of a change from that than swapping tube brands. Not that new tubes aren't going to make a difference, but I've found that tubes will do more to change the character of the amp's breakup rather than its EQ.

EL84 and 6L6 are somewhat interchangeable and probably what confused the douche at GC. For any tube amp having a good amp tech is a must, and your amps best friend. A speaker change or cab tweak might help to tighten up the low end some but the charm of any amp with EL34 tubes is the tone that is not real bassy.

Not all EL34 tubes are created equal. You might want to check out one of the places that specializes in tubes - for example, the Tube Doctor (drtube.com), Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com), or the Tube Store (thetubestore.com). Talk with a sales rep and they may be able to recommend an EL34 that will suit your needs.

My amp came with EL34 power amp tubes and in an effort to tighten my low end up I decided that I'm replacing all the stock tubes with better tubes. While making small chat with a guitar center representative today, I was told that I could put 6l6 power amp tubes in my amp to replace the EL34 tubes.

There should be some sort of bias switch on the back if you can - I don't know about the 100w head, but the 20-watt combo seems like it can run damned near anything:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-20W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

The power section is designed to accommodate 6L6GC, 6550, 6CA7, KT88 and KT66 octal power tubes, as well as variations on those types.

A speaker change or cab tweak might help to tighten up the low end some but the charm of any amp with EL34 tubes is the tone that is not real bassy.

It's not that I'm lacking bass, it's just the representation of bass that I don't like. I'll definitely upgrade to a better cab/speakers later on down the road but for now I'd like to check out some different tubes.

Not all EL34 tubes are created equal. You might want to check out one of the places that specializes in tubes - for example, the Tube Doctor (drtube.com), Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com), or the Tube Store (thetubestore.com). Talk with a sales rep and they may be able to recommend an EL34 that will suit your needs.

Sounds like a plan bud, thanks :)

There should be some sort of bias switch on the back if you can - I don't know about the 100w head, but the 20-watt combo seems like it can run damned near anything:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-20W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

I'm actually using the head. I've got the head in my "control room" and I'm running it into a marshall mg412 cab (pure suckage :rolleyes:) but until I get a little more spare cash and get the other things in my gear arsenal upgraded, I'm gonna be stuck with it. I'd like to pick up at least one vintage 30 and replace one of the speakers in the cab with it though....

I guess one of my main problems is that I can't think of a word to define the low end I'm hearing. I've noticed a huge difference when playing my POS guitar and then playing my friends mid range ibanez. It does tighten up a little but I still feel like there is more room for improvement.So obviously the first thing I'm gonna focus on is getting a good guitar/good pickups and new tubes since the ones in these (I'm assuming here...) suck.

I'm not saying that tubes won't make a difference, but changing the speaker cabinet will probably make a bigger one. The guitar is kind of important too.

Unless there is something obviously wrong with the tubes you have, I would concentrate on the other things.

I'm not saying that tubes won't make a difference, but changing the speaker cabinet will probably make a bigger one. The guitar is kind of important too.

Unless there is something obviously wrong with the tubes you have, I would concentrate on the other things.

I've got a small list of things I could use that would make recording so much easier. Already, with an SM57 and my buddy's guitar through my peavey head, things are sounding tremendously better.
I don't really care about what I get first although I am trying to get the cheaper/smaller things first. Tubes can come now or later, I don't really care when although I think it would be all kinds of fun to experiment with different tubes.

Really the only things that I'm considering expensive on my list are KRK Rokit 5's and a Behringer ADA8000

FTR...

These are what I have in my preamp http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-ecc83.html

And these are whats in my power section http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/tubes/EL34B-STR

You should be able to get a decent sound with those tubes. As Farview pointed out the speakers will make a vast difference and the mg412 cab has really horrible ones. You might want to check out the Carvin GT12 speakers. They are very similar to vintage 30s but only about half the price. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=GT12-16&cid=52

You should be able to get a decent sound with those tubes. As Farview pointed out the speakers will make a vast difference and the mg412 cab has really horrible ones. You might want to check out the Carvin GT12 speakers. They are very similar to vintage 30s but only about half the price. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=GT12-16&cid=52

Ya, the tone that I was getting two weeks ago wasn't all my amps fault (as I've learned) and I'm sure I could get much better tones out of a better cab. And I will... Why not go all out and upgrade everything? sure it might take a little more time and money but now that I'm realizing the benefits of using gear that doesn't blow I'm all excited for new stuff. So I'll replace both the cab and my tubes :)

I still have a few questions though. Say I still use my mg412 cab and replace one of the speakers with a (insert good speaker here). How much effect will the other three speakers in the cab have on the one good speaker?
Say I find a 1x12 cab and just stick a V30 in it, will the size difference between the 1x12 and the 4x12 make a big impact on the tone?

Oh, and what sucks more in the mg412, the speakers or the cab itself? ... or both
Cause if the cab is alright then I won't even worry about finding a new one, I'll just replace the speakers

and....

I'm thinking about getting these: http://www.tubedepot.com/so-12ax7lps.html

and for these for the power section: http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-e34l.html

I imagine I'll have to get my amp biased...? the JJ E34L's have a "higher grid voltage" what ever that means, and don't you have to re-bias when ever you retube your amp?

I have a lot to learn :(

I'd pass on those sovtek tubes as they sound harsh and brittle. If you absolutely must change the preamp tubes get these:http://tubedepot.com/ts-12ax7.html And those JJ E34L tubes won't sound very different from the rubys that you already have. Also every time that you change power tubes the bias should be adjusted.

I still have a few questions though. Say I still use my mg412 cab and replace one of the speakers with a (insert good speaker here). How much effect will the other three speakers in the cab have on the one good speaker?
Say I find a 1x12 cab and just stick a V30 in it, will the size difference between the 1x12 and the 4x12 make a big impact on the tone?

Oh, and what sucks more in the mg412, the speakers or the cab itself? ... or both
Cause if the cab is alright then I won't even worry about finding a new one, I'll just replace the speakers

The size of the speaker cab has a major affect on the tone. A 1x12 will sound completely wimpy compared to a 4x12.
Although the MG cab is not great the speakers are the major tone sucking component. You can go ahead and just change one of the speakers and if you are close mic-ing it will work OK. If you want to use multiple mics then you are hosed.

The size of the speaker cab has a major affect on the tone. A 1x12 will sound completely wimpy compared to a 4x12.
Although the MG cab is not great the speakers are the major tone sucking component. You can go ahead and just change one of the speakers and if you are close mic-ing it will work OK. If you want to use multiple mics then you are hosed.

I just have an SM57 pointed on axis against the grill cloth right between the dust cap and the edge of the speaker.

I'd pass on those sovtek tubes as they sound harsh and brittle. If you absolutely must change the preamp tubes get these:http://tubedepot.com/ts-12ax7.html And those JJ E34L tubes won't sound very different from the rubys that you already have. Also every time that you change power tubes the bias should be adjusted.

I guess those tubes are used stock in mesa amps :confused:

I don't know of any place that could bias my amp for me :(

I just have an SM57 pointed on axis against the grill cloth right between the dust cap and the edge of the speaker.

[...]

I don't know of any place that could bias my amp for me :(
Just to pick a nit, the axis of a speaker is a line out from the center of the dust cap perpendicular to the plane of the rim of the speaker. If your mic is between the dust cap and the edge of the speaker, it's not on axis.

There isn't a music store with an amp repair department where you live? I guess I'm spoiled; here in Austin there must be at least 20 of them.

Back