Newbie Web Designer

While I agree for the most part with #8, CSS can be used within tables, and used effectively.

Of course CSS can be used to style tables in whatever way you seem fit, but for when they're used properly to contain tabular data :D

I'm not going to budge on this :p

Anyway, to bring the file up in a browser, just save it as HTML (obviously). Then, in FireFox, go to File, then Open File, then navigate to your HTML file, and open it. At that point, it should open in the browser.

Or you can just drag the file on to the Firefox icon on your desktop...probably a little quicker.

You can pretty much do that with any document or media file with whatever application you use to view open it. Long as you have an icon for the application on your desktop.

Or you can just drag the file on to the Firefox icon on your desktop...probably a little quicker.

You can pretty much do that with any document or media file with whatever application you use to view open it. Long as you have an icon for the application on your desktop.

Fantastic! I've almost got my index.html done. I spent most of yesterday working on it with my html editor. There are still some issues that I'm having trouble with and I'm not sure if it's me missing something or quirks with the editor. This will be a good way to cross check my work and in the future perhaps I'll just opt for Notepad.

Fantastic! I've almost got my index.html done. I spent most of yesterday working on it with my html editor. There are still some issues that I'm having trouble with and I'm not sure if it's me missing something or quirks with the editor. This will be a good way to cross check my work and in the future perhaps I'll just opt for Notepad.

What issues are you having, Rusty?

What issues are you having, Rusty?

Well...menu cell sizing. I had them all equal then added some new links to the menu and now they are differents sizes. :confused: Can't figure out why or how to control the sizing...it's a small thing really but I'm a control freak. :D I've also had some trouble changing what I want in my CSS file and this is where I'm thinking the editor is glitching or something. I've got it working acceptably for now but the "style" doesn't seem to be working as I thought..."hover" and "visited" aren't working as they did in the tutorial page and no matter what color combinations I try I can't get it to respond the same way.

I posted this CSS code here...

http://pastebin.com/m4e184f62

Well...menu cell sizing. I had them all equal then added some new links to the menu and now they are differents sizes. :confused: Can't figure out why or how to control the sizing...it's a small thing really but I'm a control freak. :D I've also had some trouble changing what I want in my CSS file and this is where I'm thinking the editor is glitching or something. I've got it working acceptably for now but the "style" doesn't seem to be working as I thought..."hover" and "visited" aren't working as they did in the tutorial page and no matter what color combinations I try I can't get it to respond the same way.

I posted this CSS code here...

http://pastebin.com/m4e184f62

On your hover one, you misspelled background. You put a G in place of the D on the end.

And remember, the C in CSS stands for "cascading". In other words, the styles for each element are aggregate.

I'll take a better look at it later, and see if I can figure out what's going on. Can you post the menu code? Maybe I can help you out with that, too.

Weird...I got a notice of your last post but it's not appearing in the thread yet.

I'll be damned, I know that every keystroke is important and even so I missed that spelling. :( The style is now working as advertised.

Here's the link to the index.html markup...

http://pastebin.com/m10c01333

edit...I just posted and yours showed up.

Weird...I got a notice of your last post but it's not appearing in the thread yet.

I'll be damned, I know that every keystroke is important and even so I missed that spelling. :( The style is now working as advertised.

Here's the link to the index.html markup...

http://pastebin.com/m10c01333

edit...I just posted and yours showed up.

Everything else working ok for ya?

Everything else working ok for ya?

Did you get a chance to look at the index.html markup? Controling the menu cell size is still beyond me and now that the style is working it's a little more important to the overall look of the page. It seems like the cells with two words with a space in between were elongated while the other one word menu items were contracted. I tried eliminating the space but it didn't make any difference. Also my tutorial skipped over how to set up a menu item as a link only. I don't need a new page for some of these menu items...i.e. links to demos and slideshow.

Thanks

Did you get a chance to look at the index.html markup? Controling the menu cell size is still beyond me and now that the style is working it's a little more important to the overall look of the page. It seems like the cells with two words with a space in between were elongated while the other one word menu items were contracted. I tried eliminating the space but it didn't make any difference. Also my tutorial skipped over how to set up a menu item as a link only. I don't need a new page for some of these menu items...i.e. links to demos and slideshow.

Thanks
Just checked it out.

Take out the   in each menu item. That's a non-breakable space. And remember, if you turn the border off, you might not notice the cell difference.

To set up a menu item as a non-link, just leave out the <a href...> part.

In other words, if you have:

<a href="page1.html">Menu Item 1</a>

And you want to add menu item 2 as a non-link, you would just do

Menu Item 2

Just checked it out.

Take out the   in each menu item. That's a non-breakable space. And remember, if you turn the border off, you might not notice the cell difference.

Menu Item 2

I've got to do some work so I don't have time to check all this out right now but.... don't all the menu items have to link to something...page or url? I'm vague on how to markup the url linking.

I've got to do some work so I don't have time to check all this out right now but.... don't all the menu items have to link to something...page or url? I'm vague on how to markup the url linking.

No, they don't. A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is just the path to the page you want. It's the "a href..." part of the page.

Let's say you have a menu with 5 items (Item 1 - 5). And let's say only 1, 3, and 5 are links to other pages (or sites).

Your menu might look something like this (extraneous markup excluded for clarity and brevity):

<a href="Page1.html">Item 1</a>
Item 2
<a href="Page3.html">Item 3</a>
Item 4
<a href="Page5.html">Item 5</a>

I bought an unpopular program called Freeway Express off of eBay for $50 for making websites. Here's two I manage:

http://dennismortonhawaii.com/

http://musicmusicmusic.cn/

Freeway is incredibly easy to use and works perfectly. I am really surprised how easy it is. It's just drag and drop... pics, mp3's anything. It couldn't be easier, you don't have to know anything about HTML.

No, they don't. A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is just the path to the page you want. It's the "a href..." part of the page.

Let's say you have a menu with 5 items (Item 1 - 5). And let's say only 1, 3, and 5 are links to other pages (or sites).

Your menu might look something like this (extraneous markup excluded for clarity and brevity):

<a href="Page1.html">Item 1</a>
Item 2
<a href="Page3.html">Item 3</a>
Item 4
<a href="Page5.html">Item 5</a>

So...in place of "item" I substitue the url I wish to link to?

I bought an unpopular program called Freeway Express off of eBay for $50 for making websites. Here's two I manage:

http://dennismortonhawaii.com/

http://musicmusicmusic.cn/

Freeway is incredibly easy to use and works perfectly. I am really surprised how easy it is. It's just drag and drop... pics, mp3's anything. It couldn't be easier, you don't have to know anything about HTML.

Yes...take a look at my drag and drop website I linked to above. I just bought a new wide screen monitor (pretty much what everyone has now) and that's when it became apparent that I needed more knowledge about building a webpage. My pages were aligned left with a blank space to the right just like yours. Your page is simple and pleasing and I'm sure it's functional (as mine was) however, especially for someone in the artist field all the visual aspects of the page should be impressive. If it's just a hobby then no big deal.

Just checked it out.

Menu Item 2

Perfect! The cells are just right and with the borders. If you don't mind a little more explanation...of "&nbsp". Why did it work the way it did?...if it's a non breakable space then it seems it would hold an exact space. I was following the format of the tutorial web page and didn't realize that my own design would cause this deviation.

Oh and of course I could turn off the borders but I happened onto a look that I liked so I prefer to keep them.

Dude! I love you man!

Jeeze...

I've started building the other pages of my web site and now things have gone screwy...no "style" showing in IE, Firefox or Opera. Also the text portion of my index.html is missing. Some graphics are missing on other pages...and I just copied and pasted the code from one page to the other. Strangely the index.html displays perfectly in my html editor but the style and some graphics are missing on the other pages...again these were just copied and pasted sections of code.

This is the css/style section in each page...

<meta name="Description" content="A website devoted to the promotion of the musical group, The Fabs" />
<meta name="Keywords" content="professional,band,variety,dance,party,austin,texas,original,music,rock-n-roll" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/include/fabs webpage.css">
<style type="text/css">
</style>
Question...is spacing between sections of the markup critical? Like, a blank line between each section i.e. head..blank line... body. How about between sections/tables?

Jeeze...

Question...is spacing between sections of the markup critical? Like, a blank line between each section i.e. head..blank line... body. How about between sections/tables?

It shouldn't matter. Although for readability and maintainability it's probably a good idea to have some type of "format" when you do the markup.

So...in place of "item" I substitue the url I wish to link to?

Yes. So your menu might look something like:

<a href="Home.html">Home</a>
Demos
<a href="About.html">About Us</a>
Video
<a href="Whatever.html">Whatever</a>

Jeeze...

I've started building the other pages of my web site and now things have gone screwy...no "style" showing in IE, Firefox or Opera. Also the text portion of my index.html is missing. Some graphics are missing on other pages...and I just copied and pasted the code from one page to the other. Strangely the index.html displays perfectly in my html editor but the style and some graphics are missing on the other pages...again these were just copied and pasted sections of code.

This is the css/style section in each page...

Are they in Subdirectories (subfolders)? If so, it may be a path problem. Have a read on this page.

http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginningtutorials/a/aa040502a.htm

And you don't need both
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/include/fabs webpage.css">

and

<style type="text/css">
</style>

so I would remove the

<style type="text/css">
</style>

Back