Who has the best digital Mixer?

tntmail

Yamaha 02R
Panasonic DA7
Tascam DM-24
Other?

Let's see if we can nail this on.

Quick look.

DA-7 Looks stable and easy to use. Following may be limited.
No 96K

DM-24 Not proven, some software issues. Lots of library and good support. Nice layout on the board.

02R pricy, not sure about this one.

I like O2R, and also D8B from Mackie, but maybe it's just because I'm only familiar with those 2 :D

Yup - we put a DA7 into Left Bank productions. Really nice A/D converters and mike inputs. The MK11 now has 16 XLR mike inputs. The EQ is really nice plus it has the HUI functions built in if needed. ADAT light ports as an option as well.

General rumour is that Yamaha is about to release a new O2R or something.

Go to Music Player.com and do a search for DA7 under Craig Atherton's forum and you'll get the lot. :)

cheers
john

Yamaha has a new digital mixer coming out that will make the O2R a thing of the past. I cannot exactly recall the mocel number but it appears they are trying to compete with the Sony DMX-R100. The Yamaha has I believe 96 channels or some such number and is 2 bit. No idea of price yet or when this thing is supposed to be available.

I'm using both the Tascam TMD8000 and the Yamaha 02R. The first is my favourite since it was specially made for use with the Tascam DA-recorders. This deck also sounds good. But......lately Tascam is kind of screwing their costumors when it comes to service. They only made two software-automation versions before discontinueing this desk. And when Tascam discontinues something they really mean discontinue. The same happened with the TMD1000 and the TMD4000. I'm sure the're going to do the same with the DM24. So if you have no emotianl bandings with Tascam I'd think twice about them.

The 02R gives a nice bang for the buck and I'm happy using it live. I wouldn't wanna replace it with my Tascam in the studio though.

Remeber its nice to have much faders. Swapping between fader banks doesn't seem like a problem at first, but you'll get sick of it real quick. That's one of the reasons I won't abandom my Tascam, it has 48 faders. No swapping !

I'm not sure wether the whole 96K thingie is very important. Don't flame me for saying this, but if you're using mics like the ecm8000 having 96K will only make the noise more audible. These mics can't even cope with the 16/44.1 s/n ratio. All digital decks are ok for the buck. What I'm saying is that 16bit / 44.1 K will do just fine for allmost everybody on this forum. I'm running a commercial studio on these figures.
Saying this, if you have the choise between 16/44.1 and 24/96 I would offcourse choose 24/96. But don't think a cheap 24/96 mixer will sound better than an expensive 16/44.1 It's not always in the figures.

Back