Self mastering

Oh, brother. This increasingly scary creep is not only still on me like Glenn Close on Michael Douglas, but now he's doing it blindly and finding yet new ways of making a fool of himself.

Would someone please tell this stalker just how wildly off target his blind pot shots are, and that I am no more interested than the rest of you are in carrying on his stupid and increasingly psychotic grudge against me into yet another innocent thread?

I'm sorry for this, everyone.

G.

you have a point..
chessrock.. dude i know this is none of my business but you put the man on your ignore list.. now the trick is to IGNORE him..

Recently I applied some of Tom Volpicelli's suggestions from this forum, and have achieved MUCH better results, but still a long way from what a professional mastering house can do. Mastering is truly a specialty unto itself, and if your clients are serious about their recording, they should at least investigate this as a possibility. The replication house I work with, DiscMakers, has a mastering facility, and Tom Volpicelli, a presence in this forum, runs The Mastering House, which has a good track record. There are, of course, many others.

Thanks Johnny! I didn't know that people actually read my sputum, much less benefited from it. :)

I would suggest finding a reputable ME in your area (or taking a trip to a good facility) and sitting in or booking a session. It takes the "mystery" out of the process and if they are doing work for you, allows you to give instant feedback on the results. For the less experienced, there's no reason to be intimidated, they are working for you!

I'm sure what Southside Glen meant to say (if I was actually able to read his posts) ... is that ... all indications point to the suggestion that you don't know what the heck you're doing. So you're likely to do a lot more harm than good by attempting to master it yourself ... so it might be best to just offer them a "normalized" version, and call it a "pre-master" or something along those lines.

'Rock, you should take the ban off of G's posts. You're missing some very good advice. You've also given good advice in the past, I don't understand this vitriol even if the two of you have disagreed on some points. There's more than one way of of doing this audio stuff, the wrong way is only doing it one way.

'Rock, you should take the ban off of G's posts.

Tom, you're kind of a self-promoter here, yourself ... and that's cool.

You walk around with a big, fat banner that says: "I do mastering. Come one, come all. Give me your shodily-produced turd and I'll polish it until it shines like platinum."

And I'm totally cool with that, because you're not trying to hide your intentions. You're qualified ... you've paid your dues - why not? Southside, on the other hand, is trying to self-promote for purposes that he's not being upfront about. Whenever asked for his credits and/or samples of his vast library of work ... he craftily evades the subject with a well-rehearsed answer, like a politician on a Sunday morning news program.

He tries to get people to download a zip file that they're supposed to install on their computer ... a complete stranger, on the web, mind you. Does none of this bother anyone even in the least?

So far, I've gotten about 4 positive reps to 3 negatives when it comes to this subject, so I know I'm not standing out on an Island on this subject. Me and the other four guys who've given me those little green things want to know where he's really coming from (Two positives want to hear his tunes, another green guy thinks he's pompous and arrogant, and two more red guys want me to jump off a bridge. :D )

I, for one, often do a more aggressively limited mixdown just for listening to in the car. Too bad you can't give the band a double sided CD... one side with the mixdown as it stands, dynamics intact, the other with a home mastering job to tweak it and raise the level a bit for playing in noisy environments.

I, for one, often do a more aggressively limited mixdown just for listening to in the car. Too bad you can't give the band a double sided CD... one side with the mixdown as it stands, dynamics intact, the other with a home mastering job to tweak it and raise the level a bit for playing in noisy environments.

You could always give them two discs :D

...Whenever asked for his credits and/or samples of his... work ... he craftily evades the subject...
I hear you on this but I think you're overreacting. I too am wary of academics who talk the talk but can't w the w after knowing so many guitarists who have a "here, let me lecture you" attitude, can regurgitate facts endlessly, but can't play with even basic skill. But my own BS meter doesn't indicate that SSGlen is this way. Perhaps you're reacting more to his manner, which tends toward a teaching oriented style rather than a conversational one.

Does none of this bother anyone even in the least?
Tom, I don't want him to take me off of ignore. This was a wise decision on his part since, to use his own words, my every post "makes his blood boil". I was sincerely hoping that when he finally decided to exericise the ignore option, that his harrassment was over. I certainly have held up to my side of it in that I have laid off of him since he did so.

But now, he's taken to stalking me *still*, attacking my words and my character even though he has no idea what I'm even saying, and getting it totally wrong each time he does so.

Keith is really sarting to concern me, and I'm not kidding about that. Now this blind harrassment from an ignore state is just that much scarier. If he were in Timbuktu, it might be a different story. But the fact that he lives just a few miles away from me, combined with his great disdain for wanting his true identity known, and I'm just not sure how to protect myself against such psychotic behavior.

I have made ZERO secret about who I am, my intentions here, or my future intentions with building my website. I have no idea what he thinks the big secret is. He, on the other hand, has hidden his identity on this board, while doing on his own two websites and on another board (Mojo Pie) exactly the kind of self-promotion and detailed answers and opinions of which he now accuses me.If anybody doubts this, they can just do a Google search on his real name and look through the results on the first page alone.

I'm open to suggestions on how to deel with this creep. Ignoring him is not an option, as I need to keep an eye on him (I don't trust just what next step he may take beyond just harassment on this board, and I don't yet know just what happened to my own website that crashed for the very fist time just when his grudge hit a climax. EDIT, I just checked, and it is now back online, but the timing still bothers me). I was hoping that legally letting people here know his identity using information that he freely and publicly provided to the Internet and publicly to others on this board himself might tone him down a bit.

His deciding to put me on ignore I thought was the end of it. I thought, fine, if he ignores me, I'll leave hin alone and we'll both be happy enough. But instead his actions are getting worse, not better. They are not to a point where I can do anything like a TRO to keep him away from me physically or harassing me online, and while my letting everyone else in on his real name did put the scare into him for a bit, that apparently lasted all of about a day or two.

Again, I'm open to suggestions. I really DESPISE having to make posts like this and messing up otherwise perfectly good threads. I apologise to everyone. But after two years of putting up with his crap, he's just getting worse and not better, and the time for fun and games is over. His targeted harassment is now turning into both online stalking and online defamation, and I can't just turn a blind eye to either one.

G.

'Rock,

I like to think that I'm here for more than promotional purposes. I actually like talking audio with the folks on this forum, and learn things as well. It also helps give me ideas for my audio class. To be honest, given that this is "home recording" and most will do things on their own anyway, my time would be better spent elsewhere for promotion.

I don't see where Glen has offered any service that could be profitable on his end. What's the purpose of self-promotion if there is no profit in it? Ego? I doubt that G. would be spending this much time here helping to answer questions, putting together articles, tutorials, and audio aids to get stroked. He just seems like a guy that loves audio and loves to talk about it with other people.

I also don't care if he has or hasn't made a major album. What I care about is if the advice he gives out rings true (which it does). After all, haven't you ever gotten advice from a "major" that was total crap? I take what anyone says with a measure of salt no matter their position. Often even my own perspective on audio. That's how we learn.

I think that there are some that occasionally appear here that are deserving of a good "call out". Most of them come with obvious intentions of selling snake oil, services, etc. I personally think that your energy would be better directed at them.

[EDIT]
The above was posting before reading Glen's comment. I had no idea that things have gotten to this level.
C'mon chessrock, I don't think you're gaining any respect from the forum community for this behavior. Do you?
[/EDIT]

Alright ...

I couldn't help it and took it off ignore.

This crap needs to stop.

If you need me to pull the posts that I'm refering to, I have no problem with that.

Southside Glen is the one who literally invited me to a gig where he was going to be so he could "mop up the floor" with me." Not the other way around. Furthermore, he is the one - not I - who published my full name and address ... and insinuated that if I came to the bar he was going to be at ... it would "spare him the need" to come to my address and personally track me down. Furthermore, he suggested that I "already knew what he looked like" ... which was vague and cryptic to say the least -- pretty scary stuff if you ask me.

I have no problem pulling and linking to the discussions I'm refering to.

Chessrock, I've seen you a number of times asking people why they get so upset over stuff on a "stupid home recording forum that means nothing in real life".

Why does Glenn bother you so much? He does nothing but offer advice and answer questions.

A zip file from a website containing nothing but HTML, images, and maybe some JavaScript is nothing to worry about. I wouldn't call it anonymous, his picture is right on his website.

I bet if Glenn wanted to promote himself or somehow find profit, he would do more than write a (good) compression tutorial and frequency chart.

I see A LOT more self-promotion on this website, which is blatant. I wouldn't call Glenn's help self-promotion at all.

And as for him getting defensive, I probably would too after so long of someone constantly getting on my ass about every word I say. Even on a "pointless bbs" that would still tick me off.

This crap needs to stop.
Well, at least that's one thing upon which we totally agree. Now how can we build upon that?
If you need me to pull the posts that I'm refering to, I have no problem with that.
No need to ull any posts. You said what was on your mind, and I have no desire to censor you in that regard. Besides, I want a record of just what each of us REALLY said, considering the way you have misrepresented my point and now, even misquited me.
Southside Glen is the one who literally invited me to a gig where he was going to be so he could "mop up the floor" with me."
I invited you to the gig AFTER you suggested that we get together "for a beer" where you could continue to put words in my mouth (which is what I complained about your doing originally that started this latest round.) And I never said anything about "mopping up the floor with you". I was jokingly paraphrasing "Good Will Hunting" - as someone selse cleverly caught. Sure, i was a bit menacing in my tone, I admit that. But what do you expect from someone who who has been meaneced by you for two yeas, and who couldn't get it through their thick skull that it was not only unappreciated, but was starting to border on truely threatening in itself.
Furthermore, he is the one - not I - who published my full name and address
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. I never, ever gave your address, even though I got it right from your own two public websites (including one of your own public websites where you not only give your full address, but go into detail about which buzzer to push. I gave your name only - which also came not just from your own websites, but also from another public BBS (Mojo Pie) in which you used to play the freelance teacher role yourself, complete with a self-advertising tag line. And how did I find you to begin with? From a guitar tone thread in the Recording Forum here where you yourself provided a link to a NowhereRadio page that had the name of your home studio both in the displayed brower title like and on the top of the web page itself.
.. and insinuated that if I came to the bar he was going to be at ... it would "spare him the need" to come to my address and personally track me down.
I said it would spare me the need to head up to your neighborhood, which is true. I never said anything about tracking you down. In fact, since you already provided your studio address, there was no "tracking down", as you so accusingly put it, necessary. I was just saying that you'd spare me from making the trip to the north side.
Furthermore, he suggested that I "already knew what he looked like".
Anybody and everybody who bothered to actually visit my "about me page" (or whatever it's called) on this very BBS knows what I look like, because my picture is right there(though my hair is now a bit shorter and my sideburns a bit longer ;) ). That's what I was referring to, you nut. I figured since you had already admitted to searching for me on Google, that you probably took the step (as most people here probably alreay have) of checking that out as well. hell, you wen't to the bother of checking out and stealing Ed Rei's picture in an even more obscure place on this website and sticking it in your signature line. I figure you're probably about to try that with me next.

And if anybody has any doubts about any of this, and wants to find out for themselves, they're welcome to use the public Internet, starting with chessrock's public "freelance" and implied expert blog equipment reviews on Mojo Pie, which has a link to one of his at least two websites (though he'll probably try to take them down or alter them now that the link is just a Google away.)

And as for my so-called evasiveness and sectret motivations, they are welcome to visit the "New to recording, but not to songwriiteing[sic]" thread in the Recording Techniques forum on this BBS. There chess offered a truce if I answered his interrigations truthfully. You will see that I answered all the questions honestly and truthfully, including a quite detailed (a trait which chess always accuses me of for some reason that still makes no sense, even if it is true) explanation of the MP3 question as well as the question of my motivation. If he thinks it sounds rehearsed, maybe it's because I have had to answer that same damn questions from him so many times over the past 2+ years, that I'm used to the answers.

The fact is, I came to this board well before I got any idea in my head to write anything or to build anything like IRN. The idea for "Compression Uncompressed" came after having been here a while and noticing that a major newb question and problem here had to with a general lack of understanding of compression, and a search for good existing websites or tutorials that discussed the subject in detail came up quite lacking (IMHO). So I decided to write it.

The template for the hyperbook software was one I alreadh had from writing some on-line training manuals for a previous job; I just adapted it to this topic. When the reviews and replies came in from all parts of the Internet, and from members of this BBS of all levels of expertise saying they thought it was a great effort and a worthy piece, and that they wanted more from me, that's when the idea for a full-blown website sprouted. I am specifically trying to pick topics based upn what I perceive to be a need and demand based upon the common threads on this board. And yes, chess, eventually I hope to get some Google ads on the site to help offset my costs in maintianing such a site, exactly as Dragon does with this BBS and website. That should be an obvious future move to anybody here. I'm not trying to keep any secrets there.

And I'm tired of defending myself against the more hot headed here. If you don;t like me, that's fine. You can't please everyone, and everyone has different tastes and opinions. No problem. But I have answered far more questions about myself far more times on this board than any 10 other members here put together. I'm tired of it. It's up to chess and the rest of you reading this as to how much they choose to believe me. The fact is, if I am the "phoney" that chess accuses me of being, it'll catch up to me as it always does to any body who tries to camoflague themselves or the truth, like it has now with chess himself. But that's not going to happen with me; if I fail it'll be because I don't do my job well, in which case I'll deserve it.

But as the vast majority of you that have been here a while and have gotten to know me undertand, I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and have misunderstood - or admittedly simply gotten wrong - a handfull of things along the way, but considering that is a handful in just about 5,000 posts here over a period of over two years, I think my percentages - even 10 completly wrong posts in 5000 is an error rate of only 0.2%, or a success rate of 99.8% should be more than illuminating enough to dispel any tagging of me as a "phoney". And that's tackling some of tougher subjects here, not just the simple ones, and that also includes ZERO posts participating participation in bullshit like the Dragon's Cave forum.

Chess, we both want to put an end to the bullshit. We can do it with open hands or closed hands. I'd much prefer the open hands myself. But if you want to continue stalking and harassing me on this bard just becaue you don't like my style, I'm forced to fight back against it. You should hopefully understand that by now.

G.

So I just finished mixing this album and my clients have asked if I could master it for them. I really don't know anything about mastering so I could use some help. I know its dprobably difficult without hearing the mixes, but are there any general guidelines, procedures, rules of thumb that you use? The music is country/ blues/ jazz/ americana so severe compression is probably not desireable right?

also, how do you use multiband compression? Should I use multiband compression? How should I approach applying eq to a mix so I don't fuck it up?

Back on topic,

I'm certainly no expert, but here's what I do:

The only way I can successfully master my own mixes is to put them away for as long as possible. I am always amazed at how problems jump out after I let it sit for at least a few days, preferrably a week or more. Reset your ears relative to that project. Do not listen to it under any circumstances for a few days, or longer.

Then listen to it on several different playback systems (I use two sets of nearfields, a home theater setup, a boombox, a car system, and a good pair of headphones), and make notes on each tune (ex: track 1 - too much bass, crash cymbal is harsh, etc.). Make a set of notes on each playback system and compare them. Make sure at least one of the playback systems has a subwoofer.

Follow your notes and find the best tools you have to make the changes you listed. Only change what you wrote down. Wait a day or two and repeat the process.

Reactions: XLR
Fair enough.

This is silly and dumb.

COOL!

I hope that this is a permanent cease-fire. Let's save this energy for the spammers and trolls. Since there doesn't seem to be much moderation on this forum, I think that it's up to the members to police it.

That said, 10% off for all mastering services at The Mastering House Inc. this month for all home recording forum members!!!

This month only, so hurry quantities limited!

:D

...The only way I can successfully master my own mixes is to put them away for as long as possible. I am always amazed at how problems jump out after I let it sit for at least a few days, preferrably a week or more... Then listen to it on several different playback systems... and make notes on each tune... make the changes you listed... Wait a day or two and repeat the process.
Good. I think a lot of us do something very similar.

But then once you notice said problems (too much bass, sizzly cymbals, etc), do you go back in the mix and fix those things, since you have the option of re-editing your own, individual tracks - vs. a mastering house where they are forced to apply such changes over the entire mix?

I would assume you'd apply to specific tracks to fix said problems, since you have the option - its how I do it - but who knows. S'why Im askin!

But then once you notice said problems (too much bass, sizzly cymbals, etc), do you go back in the mix and fix those things, since you have the option of re-editing your own, individual tracks - vs. a mastering house where they are forced to apply such changes over the entire mix?

I would assume you'd apply to specific tracks to fix said problems, since you have the option - its how I do it - but who knows. S'why Im askin!

Absolutely.

Mastering should be more about getting the entire set of mixes to work on an album rather than fixing problems that should be addressed in the mix. The more you fix at the track level, the less compromises need to be done later.

Back