POP - oh I hate that, any tips on limiting it?

billbone

I'm new to singing with a band - always did backups at low volumes. I know I need more skill with a mic, but I have a SM57 at my disposal. Now I'm getting a "POP" everytime I sing a "P".

I do know the debates between 57s and 58s, and how the ball grill helps with the "P" POPS on the 58s. So since I have a 57 and my pops are not seemingly tamed despite my best attempts, are there any wellknown homemade things I can do to help? Other than sticking the mic under my shirt and singing into my chest (which seems to work but looks less than cool)?

I'm asking because a friend said there are some good ways to do it, and that I should hit google, but google didn't give me any good answers...

Thanks!

Get a pop filter. You can either buy a cheap one or make one yourself with some nylon and a wooden/metal/plastic ring.

Yes, get a pop filter. If you are dealing with pops you've already recorded, zoom in on the pop, and knock down the volume envelope until the pop is inoffensive.

oh like they use in the big fancy studios! the big round shields about 2 inches from the mic?

how do I make my own? if I cut a 2" circle out of a pair of panty hose, layed it directly on the mic head and wrapped a rubber band around it, would that work well?

I'm like MacGuyver!

get a pop filter....then tape a pencil/pen straight up and down to the pop filter, lined up with the diaphragm of the mic. this practice provides people with plosive problems practical solutions.

but first thing's first...try to avoid cutting vocals with a 58 if you can.

edit: don't wrap panty hose around the mic...you don't want it on the mic you want it away from the mic.

If you make your own, I've grabbed a wire coat hangar, made a circle outta it about 8 inches around, and just took a pair of my wifes pantyhose and stretched it over it. It needs to be away from the mic a couple three inches for it to work. Otherwise your pops just go thru it.
:cool:

Good thought on the pencil idea too. Except I've taped the pencil right to the mic, right on the screen. The idea being that when the plosive hits the mic, the pencil splits it and it's not so much force.
Luck to you.........

Harvey Gerst said:
Sounds like you're talking live use. Try singing across the front of it instead of straight into it.

In fact, have the mic pointing sort of at a down angle where you can sing across it, rather than pointing at an up angle. If you are playing an instrument and have to cheat a little (like me) looking down, it will help keep you from hitting direct into it. Also, what about those puffy foam windscreens that go directly on the end? Worth a shot.

Also work on your vocal technique and learn to control your plosives better. It doesn't take a burst of air to make those sounds. If you smile while you sing, the plosives will immediately sound an order of magnitude better.

dgatwood said:
Also work on your vocal technique and learn to control your plosives better. It doesn't take a burst of air to make those sounds. If you smile while you sing, the plosives will immediately sound an order of magnitude better.

Smiling big while singing will make terrible vowel sounds though, won't it? :confused:

You could just replace the p's and b's with t's and d's........maybe.... ;) :rolleyes:

Back