Pop Filter???

R

RAMI

I'm not sure if my question should be "Why use a pop filter?" because the answer is obvious. But I noticed that I don't need one. I try to get pops and can't get them even if I try. I sing about 6-8 inches from my mic (AKG C1000b..I know alot of people don't like those mics, so I hope this doesn't turn into a thread-debate about which mics suck and which don't). So, I'm wondering why I see videos of top artists using top equipment still using a pop filter. Or, if I don't need a pop filter, am I doing something wrong, like singing too far from the mic?

It's certainly possible to sing in a mic without a pop filter and not get pops. All you gotta do is not line up your mouth directly with the mic[ singing at an angle, off to the side of the mic".
Oh, and I would 6-8 inches is a bit too far from the mic, unless you're screaming.

If you're getting the sound you want out of your vocals, I'd say you're doing it right. However, I don't believe there is ANY down side to using a pop filter. /shrug

Newbie dude said:
It's certainly possible to sing in a mic without a pop filter and not get pops. All you gotta do is not line up your mouth directly with the mic[ singing at an angle, off to the side of the mic".
Oh, and I would 6-8 inches is a bit too far from the mic, unless you're screaming.

Yes, I realise it's possible to not get pops...That's why I mentioned I WASN'T getting any...I'll sing closer and see if it sounds better, but I didn't think 6-8 inches is too far...I'll try it out, thanx.

Creamyapples1 said:
If you're getting the sound you want out of your vocals, I'd say you're doing it right. However, I don't believe there is ANY down side to using a pop filter. /shrug

I'm always scared that a pop filter would cut some sibilence or muffle the sound a bit, but I've never tried one so I don't know. I figure it can't kill the sound as much as I fear if pros use them with top of the line mics.

It's a good idea to use a pop filter even if you don't have pops in your recording. The filter adds an extra layer of protection for the mic, keeping spit, beer (or whatever else), and general moisture from your breath off of your condensor capsule.

I imagine that also would be a reason to see them sitting in front of 5k+ mics all the time, too.

I recommend using pop sheilds even if it's just to help the singer keeping his gob a constant distance from the mic...

All good points, I even use a pop filter when mic'n guitar and bass amps. Main reason is I'm too lazy to take them off the stands. :rolleyes:

The only downsides of pop filters that I can think of are these:

The kinda that fit over the mic can, occasionally, take away from tone
The colored kind that fit over the mic look kinda stupid.
The gooseneck on a screen type can be a real pain in the ass.

I'd say whatever works Rami. 6-8 inches seems normal from what I hear, unless you are being really quiet, or extra loud. I always use a screen, but mainly just because its there. I probably need it, but haven't tried it without. :D

No Pops

I use a double membrane gooseneck pop filter (material membrane) and it works really well, without cutting too much top end. It saves heaps of time, because I don't have to edit out annoying pops. It isn't that much of a problem to use (just clips onto mic stand).

In terms of the top end frequency loss, it is noticable but only very slightly. I tend to compensate for the high end loss with a little high shelf eq boost.

Singing 6 - 8 inches from the mic sounds about right especially with the pop screen about 3" from the mic.

It's all relative as Einstein said. Some people pop and others don't. If you don't pop then don't use a screen. And if you do, then by all means use one, you might find that it helps immensely.

Cheers
Theo C :)

http://www.theoc.co.nz

Thanx for the advice, guys..Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing until something pops!

Creamyapples1 said:
All good points, I even use a pop filter when mic'n guitar and bass amps. Main reason is I'm too lazy to take them off the stands. :rolleyes:

haha, i thought i was the only one! :p

if you don't need a pop filter, then there's nothing that says you should use one anyway.

i've noticed a minor amount of high-end loss with the nylon types of them. nothing major though.

the two good reasons i can come up with for using one even when you don't have any "pops" are these:

1. Keeps you a constant distance from the mic. Some vocalists like having their lips touching something when they sing (usually a habit from singing live), and the pop filter keeps them the distance that you want them from the mic (and gives them something to brush up against).

2. Keeps spittle and other nasties off the mic's basket and/or diaphragm.

Reason #2 is why i use one even though i don't typically need one.

cheers,
wade

Back