in what "order" do you guys write songs in?

basher000000

Like do you come up with a little riff or a ditty and build off of that, do you start with an interesting chord progression, do you write the melody first, what? If you write the melody first, HOW exactly do you do this? I guess you could say I'm a newb at the whole songwriting thing. I've been in a band for about a year now and we've gotten increasingly better but it seems like our main songwriter just kinda incoherently copies whatever the last thing he heard was. If he just heard a new album that he liked, he'll just write a song that sounds like the album. It's kind of annoying that he can't think outside the box, so I'm trying to take over the main songwriting duties of the band. So anyways, how do you guys write songs?

I most often put up a rythm on my Alesis SR-16 Drum machine and then sit down with a piano sound on the keyboard. The tempo is often at this stage around 73 bpm. Then I just start to play some chords. After I have a progression (much too often 4 chords) I start to sing to it, singing the first words that drops in. Just nonsense. After some repititions I start varying the melody line to try to find a better one. I allways start with the verse. Then, at that point or maybe later, I will get a feeling for if it should hold its tempo or be more uptempo. If the latter I crank it up to 90-100 bpm, and sing it for some rounds again.
If Im satisfied with whats happening I try to make a pre-chorus. The prechorus normally just drops in within a minute or two.
Then I try to find an interesting approach to a chorus.
I often end up with using the verse in one song as a chorus in another one, after changing it to suit the chorus formula a tad more.
As I see it, its better not to listen to something else in the last 30 minutes before you start writing.
The most tricky thing about songwriting for me now is to try to avoid the mainstream chord progressions and think different/new. But then again, a lot of hits has standard chord progressions, some have not.
Its a melting pot of brilliant elements that forms your next hit :)
On a side note; a friend of mine allways starts with the chorus, and he can NEVER sit down and play unless some catchy chorus came to him during his time doing anything else than playing his own music. When he gets an everyday chorus idea on a visit he starts writing.
We are meeting friday and I said, hey, lets make something together friday. He replied:
I cant. I dont have any chorus ideas. hehe
I will get him going.
Good luck!

All my stuff tends to be riff based. Because of this, I try to start building around some sort of nice drum loop. I use BFD (which sounds incredible). If I have a really good drum loop behind me, I can generally come up with something. Everything is fleshed out from that point. Melody comes last for me. I should really try it the other way around.

If I'm writing on guitar, I tend to come up with riffs, which then inspires some type of lyrics. I then develop a melody to work with the lyrics and then form a chord progression around that.

If I'm writing on keyboards, I tend to come up with a chord progression first and then develop a melody, which then leads to lyrics.

If I am inspired by a drum groove, then I tend to develop lyrics to match the feel of the groove. This then leads to a melody whith then dictates a chord progression.

Whichever instrument I use to start the process - inspires a general mood or attitude, this then takes the song in a given dirrection (fast, slow, major key, minor key, aggressive lyrics, sensitive lyrics, etc. etc.)

starting with drums...

peopleperson said:
All my stuff tends to be riff based. Because of this, I try to start building around some sort of nice drum loop. I use BFD (which sounds incredible). If I have a really good drum loop behind me, I can generally come up with something. Everything is fleshed out from that point. Melody comes last for me. I should really try it the other way around.

The drum beat is a favorite songwriting starting point of Paul Simon. I had not heard of anyone else doing that...

Do you think it would be a good idea to just strum one chord over and over and try to make up a melody by singing over the chord, and then later come up with a chord progression that fits the melody??

Usually I will write a riff on guitar, then the bass, drums and drums all are written corresponding to the riff. After that Vocals are usually the last thing I put in a song, but if there are any Guitar leads Ill put them in irratically.

My publisher told me something years ago. I was hitting a dry period and was relying too much on my instrument (piano) and cool progressions, drum loops, etc. to create the melody for me and it wasn't working well. She said to try writing away from the instrument. Try just getting away from the usual space and create melodies that actually work and sound good, then bring them to your instrument for development. Make sense?

It did for me and that was one of the most prolific periods of my career. I find myself sometimes slipping back into my old ways, which work sometimes, but more times than not, I'll write my best stuff after having taken a long drive with a tape recorder!!

Think about it. Songwriting is the building block of the music industry. Melodies are the building blocks of great songs. Sucky melodies make for sucky songs, so spend your time developing a great melody. The rest is secondary and will come if your melody is strong enough.

My 2 cents worth!

David

Chords/melody/lyrics
or
Riff/Chords/melody/lyrics

From there it varies depending on the progress.
I don't do the music, then the lyrics, or the other way around. Sometimes my tunes sound nothing like what they originally started as.

I write and compose as I goes. I suppose.

I think it depends a lot on what instrument you play. For me, I usually come up with a chord progression with some sort of rhythm via strumming on an acoustic guitar - but that's mostly what I play. I do the singing non-sense words (like somebody mentioned above) to kind of get a melody line in my head, then the real creativity comes in - making up lyrics that fit your melody line, have a good flowing and consistent rhyiming, iteration pattern, and say what you want to portray without sounding cheasy. It's fun though, isn't it?

I usually record the acoustic rhythm guitar and vocals, then I come up with electric guitar/bass/drum parts and modify to taste. Just how I do it.

DavidJ said:
Try just getting away from the usual space and create melodies that actually work and sound good, then bring them to your instrument for development.
Sounds like a great idea. Gonna try that.

I write music and lyrics totally seperate. When I'm just messing around on guitar and I find a really cool riff I record it to a drum tempo that suits it. Then I perfect it and write another riff or some chords that have a similar mood or feeling about them and help progress the song. Then I work in bass, perfect the beat, and eventually go through my unused lyrics to find one that clicks. Sometimes none do so I just set the song aside until I write one. I write lyrics whenever I feel a lot of inspiration which is at least once or twice a week. I have found that this method really works for me but everybody's different.

Back