want to sell my songs

Punt! Give them to friends for free! Use the CDs as coasters! :eek:

Just kidding... :D

My opinion is that it depends a lot on what kind of songs you have to sell. In my case, I have some rather complicated rock tunes with involved lyrics. Very hard to sell this to anyone. The more generic the better.

If you are writing banal country songs based on a folk G chord and cliches, then you have a chance.

If you want to get some rough idea of how well you're work is recieved by a general audience, try posting them on a free download service like music.download.com . If you really expect to be able to "cash in," you've got the wrong expectations - there are a whole lot more of us who want to make music for a living than there are people to support us at it.

ok, i'll give you the going rate... 25 cents per pound

LMAO

if there were a "spot price" on unperformed songs, I'd be taking it in like aluminum...i go thru a lot of poopers, lmao. I am BEGINNING to strongly suspect I lack any real talent (shhh...and dont tell my mum...she thinks I'm wonderful at everythiing...hee hee)

lets take this from another tack...forget money...

has anyone ever performed any of your songs? if so, what was the crowd reaction? when you show the binder of songs on paper to young, local musicians, and they sift thru the lot, do they all keep "putting aside" the same 5 or 10 songs, as "maybe" ones?

hey, maybe you're like that team that wrote and produced avril lavigne's first album...they just CHURN out "disarmingly charming and catchy" lyrics and chord progressions... only one way to find out... post something, see if you get any reaction.

i read somewhere that Elton John said he throws away like 40 to 60 "potential songs" for every ONE he keeps, and only a fraction of those end up for serious consideration for an album. (I want his trashcan,lmao...)

come on... post some lyrics... its fun.

thanks for the replies. i know its not going to be easy, but i just don't know where to start. my friend has a small studio and i'm gonna put some tracks on cd to give to my friends mostly for fun. but i really would like to take it to another level. i'm not sure what you would call my style. maybe like a mix between rock and country. i'll post some lyrics and see what you guys think.

Post the lyrics together with an MP3 link. Its impossible to give you a serious feedback without the music itself.
My best advise is: Contact a music publisher. If the songs are great they might be interested in them and will use their network to distribute/try to sell them for you.

If you do a search, this subject has been addressed on this site on many occasions.

Unless you have direct access to artists and/or producers or thier representatives (lawyers, managers, etc). There are only two basic ways to "sell" your songs. Have your own music industry representative (manager, attorney, etc) who can access the artists you want to approach (this is not realistic for most writers) - or - get a publisher.

However, keep in mind the competition is fierce, the talent you are competing with is extremely good and the potential to get published (much less actually place a song on a recording that generates enough sales to actually make you any money is slim to none.

However, if you are a really, really good writer, and have a really well recorded demo, sung by a great singer - maybe you can be one of the few lucky ones.

Emusic said:
Post the lyrics together with an MP3 link. Its impossible to give you a serious feedback without the music itself.
My best advise is: Contact a music publisher. If the songs are great they might be interested in them and will use their network to distribute/try to sell them for you.
or say its not good enough then you here Britney trying to sing it on the radio and its a number one hit. :eek: I would say do all you can to protect your music from theaves.

altiris said:
or say its not good enough then you here Britney trying to sing it on the radio and its a number one hit. :eek: I would say do all you can to protect your music from theaves.

How many times do you think something like this has happened?

In case of theft you have a strong case if u have taken some precautions. I doubt they would steal your tune. It is a risk they will be influented by it to write their own. But if the tune is really brilliant they will have problems making something that sounds better.
Imaging this: try to make a song influented by Angels (Ray Heffernan/Chambers/Williams) and make it sound better and make it sound like its not a copy. Conclusion: impossible.
So if your tunes are great and special, you have taken some precautions and contact a serious publisher, there is hope.
What other ways to get your music out anyways?
I mean - people must hear the music to get a kick in the head. Wether its the music industry, the radio stations or the public themselves.
Even publishing them here is a good proof and a datestamp. That together with some mailed copies to yourself will be so strong that not many companies will try to steal a whole tune.
If they do (and for a great artist) you will get some publisity - thats for sure.

Back