Voice sounds thin with Condensor mic

Nola

hey guys.

so i did a vocal on an re-11 dynamic (which has the vari-d low end roll off) and my voice sounded warm/round with body. then i did a take on a condenser (it's a nice one that's been modded to take out any harshness) and the voice sounds thin and the body is missing. is this because the condenser is more sensitive and picking up more room reflections?

i can't figure out why this would be.

i put a lot of cloth around the condenser, really close to the mic, hoping it would dampen the room. so maybe that caused problems, too. would this cause problems? like if it's too close to the capsule does the sound resonate around the capsule and cause issues? i didn't surround the mic with cloth when using the dynamic because it wasn't picking up as much room.

thanks

Welp, this is embarrassing, but I woke up this morning and the first thought was, "maybe the mic was backwards".
Sure enough...

This mic looks almost the same front and back, so I totally overlooked that. Lesson learned.

Haha.

Well now we know to ask other users if their mic is facing the right way if they have this problem.

This mic looks almost identical on both sides -- wonder if I should mark the front with a small piece of electrical tape or something. It's a tube mic that gets hot, though, and might make the tape yucky. Anyone have a good idea how to mark it? I know I'll forget to look again at some point.

Usually, you sing into the side with the logo. (Not always, but that is the place to.start)

Yeah I am amazed that any mic would not do that (have the logo in front), unless it's an omni or etc

Back