Stuck!!!!!

I find that I'm most creative when I'm tired. Most of my good songs have been written after 1am in the morning. I think it's because it's when I'm most relaxed and I think, but I don't think about writing songs. Also I find that most of my songs arise after major events in my life. Last year my Grand Father passed away and I wrote a song and arranged it all in 15 minutes. Another night I came up with one line of a song and 20 minutes later I had 2 songs written.

When the time comes songs will just flow.

Porter

I hope that you can find a balance between "Everything I write, I hate" and "Everything I write , I just love" I have an aquaintance who has the latter affliction. Sad but true, the guy has no ability to evaluate , and sort out the good stuff. I used to dread him coming over cause I always knew that I would have to sit thru a couple of hours of crap, and maybe hear
1 decent thing. Sometimes he would steal from stuff on the radio
but not realize it. Maybe it was the drugs, I don't know.
Dont get down on yourself too hard for being critical of your own work. It is healthy to check youself out some. Too much and you paralize yourself, too little and you will turn into an arrogant asshole who thinks that all your ideas are GREAT!!
And...re-write...re-write...re-write

Chazba

??where to go from here??

Oh I almost forgot....next time you're on the V, and you think that
the only thing that sounds good is back to I, try vi, or II (major)or...or...or...or anything else BUT the I

Songwriting

Songwriting is a very nice thing to do. My only problem is getting the lyrics to match the music, and also to try to make my music original.

I have a problem when I attempt to sing. I always sound like I'm whining like Neil Tennant of the bloody Pet Shop Boys *shudders in total disgust* or a very out-of-tune Elliott Smith.

I'm just focusing on my chord sequences as they're really great.

Re: mark_guinn

I get the same problem. I always get the hottest beat or idea when I'm just about to got to sleep. A pain, so I have to attempt to note it down in one of my many musical notepads.

As I can't read music, I just write down the chords and a rhythm style. Then nod off, and try to decipher it the day after.

colin,

You are very fortunate to be able to go to sleep. With myself, its a matter of snoozing and loosing. I have to work it when it comes or I'll never get any sleep. If you don't believe me ask my wife. She dosen't share my enthusiasm at 2 in the morning.

<><
George

msuic theory!?#!*?!

I know exactly what you mean about music theory driving you nuts. I've taken it it for two years now at the college level and it seems like every creative fiber I have has dried up, or maybe it has just taken a vacation. I hope. I started taking it in order to help me fill out harmony or use it for those times when I start a piece and have the first part working and and need a second voice or change of key. Hell I'm getting pissed just thinking about it. I think I'll have a beer.

Good Luck and keep the faith, Ozlee:confused:

Cyrokk said:
Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, pretty much the king of alt tunings, did an entire song with all the strings at the same pitch..

Cyrokk,

I have to disagree with you here. Ever hear of Keith Richards??? :>) He wrote the BOOK on alternate tunings. Pick-up a copy of the "Some Girls" tab book some day. It's like "Rock Master Class 101" for alternate tunings and layering multiple guitar parts. It's ridiculous. . . they layered six or seven guitar parts on some of those songs. . .

Brian

leave it alone for a while

Don't force yourself. Do something else for a short while. Think up something else that is interesting and put your mind to that. Soon as you forget the problems you were having finding inspiration you'll find that new ideas will start forming. When you're relaxed, even small events that happen while you're working on something entirely different can lead to new modes of thinking. Thoughts surface from the sub to the conscious....hence inspiration ;)

Back