Reeses

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Do you consider what you write "songs" or "pieces"? Or call them something else... like "tunes" - "hey man I've got some new tunes" (I slap myself when I find myself saying this :D)

It seems I call some things songs and other pieces. I'm working on something now that defitly was a song... until tonite trying to find an end I stumbled onto a really cool way to modulate what I was doing into another song that I was working on... so now the two songs are one, which makes It a "piece"

How semantic... <~ hey that's a cool song title! er... how about the semantic romantic... he he...

like math I woo her

-jhe

I'm not sure about this, but this is how I understand it:

A 'piece' is a piece of music, begining to end (I guess that makes it a *whole*, not a *piece* -- weird). Anyway...
A 'song' is a 'piece' that has words/lyrics.

Hmmm, so are there 'songs' in opera?

I've confused myself. Sorry if I've confused anyone else.

Generally speaking a song uses repitiotion on the melody for instance, a piece of music tends to be a body of work that can drift and in many ways concentrates far more on the instumentatonal side of each part, the lyrics being less of a factor.

In practice there is little of a difference in the modern day anyway.

Isn't it semantic...........

..........the Rogers & Hart classic.

Reese is a piece and not a song.

Isn't "piece" generic (or perhaps germanic; I don't think it's Latin), or does it mean something like "sonata", or "grlefcquisitzerfiem"?

I think Walt Whitman wrote "Songs to Myself", songs with no music, basically what I do.

In the 60's most guys who said they wanted peace were really just looking for a piece. Or a song maybe. I hope this helps.

Back