My newest cover "The Blue Horizon"

gecko zzed

Grumpy Mod
I really liked the feel of Mike Pilling's (Strat1958) "The Blue Horizon"; so much so that I felt like doing a version of it.

So here it is.

Unlike other covers I've done, this one I've tried to keep reasonably close to the original to capture its tropical laziness. Tempo, structure, chords and so on are (pretty much) the same.

I wouldn't have minded being able to do a George Harrison voice (which Mike S has a distinct flavour of), so it's my usual croak.

See:
http://www.box.net/shared/cgttovk2ux

I am speechless. You brought my wife to tears!

You have taken a song idea that was, in my opinion, pretty good but not 'great' - and made it great.

Using the D augmented chord on the final chorus and the outro is a stroke of genius. When that chord hit, I snapped my head around and looked at the speakers (don't know what I expected to see!). It really grabbed my attention.

You have captured the feel I was going for, much better than I did. The bongos and shakers help to do this.

I am reminded of covers VS originals like "Blinded By The Light", where both versions are good, but the cover exploits the original idea into something magic.

GZ, I do feel the motion and I do feel the love.

Thanks my friend, for honouring my song, and thanks for inspiring all of us to do better and to try harder.

Now I'm going to listen to it again........

Reporting back:
I have listened to this about 10 times, and I seem to pick up something different every time. Headphones, studio monitors, home stereo, all emphasize different aspects of the recording. And I love your voice on this...you sound like the grizzled sailor looking for the next port. Really suits the song.

The bass is great. Seldom follows the root, usually playing the 3rd or 5th. Cool.

Who is doing the female backing vocals?

Bongo percussions and an organ replacing Strat's piano. The percussion suiting the Caribbean theme.
Gravelly (rum-grizzled) voice a match to theme.

Interesting song. I didn't get into it the other night. Now Sunday morning is different.
Very, very good lyrics, Strat.
Excellent interpretation, Gekko. It really does sound like it's made on that island. The verse, I picture you walking along sands thru washed up seaweed, your lady friend playing in the water in the foreground. Later in the chorus you sitting on a log, tan and sandals, long shirt unbuttoned to the navel, straw hat, looking out over the sea. Lady friend serving the bar when you order a drink in 'town.'
Very Barry Manlowish.

Reporting back:
I have listened to this about 10 times, and I seem to pick up something different every time. Headphones, studio monitors, home stereo, all emphasize different aspects of the recording. And I love your voice on this...you sound like the grizzled sailor looking for the next port. Really suits the song.

The bass is great. Seldom follows the root, usually playing the 3rd or 5th. Cool.

Who is doing the female backing vocals?

Thanks Strat . . . I'm pleased you got some enjoyment from it!! I like both versions for different reasons. Yours is a bit cleaner, less dense, and your voice has a cool whimsical feel.

As I said, this version is not structurally different, and the only chord differences are sticking the D+ at the end. However, I played an E in nearly every chord throughout the song (so the G chords, for example, all become G6).

The bass could have a bit more definition. It loses a bit in its midrange, so it was astute of you to pick the lack of root notes. In keeping with the E note theme, the bass frequently goes to the E.

The backing vocals were done by a girl who is recording a CD here, and I convinced her to do the backings last time she came by. She is pretty good at picking up harmonies, and pretty consistent at phrasing.

I like both versions too.. Mr Gecko's version takes the song a little nearer to where I would like to see it go! It's a damn good song and good versions from both. :)

I really liked the feel of Mike Pilling's (Strat1958) "The Blue Horizon"; so much so that I felt like doing a version of it.

So here it is.

Unlike other covers I've done, this one I've tried to keep reasonably close to the original to capture its tropical laziness. Tempo, structure, chords and so on are (pretty much) the same.

I wouldn't have minded being able to do a George Harrison voice (which Mike S has a distinct flavour of), so it's my usual croak.

See:
http://www.box.net/shared/cgttovk2ux

Excellent version, Mike! I enjoyed both versions (Mike's original and your cover). Good work you guys!

Cheers,
Joseph

Back