Critique of alexspetty's song "Shame"

nachtmusik

I know I could have kept this in the same thread he had already started. Normally I would, but I am really digging this guy's stuff. I think this song deserves its own thread. With that being said........

Link to MP3

Lyrics

shame
petty & france

and we agree
to disagree
it's part of the dance
the artistry

a sea of black
a sea of white
part the seas
let in the light

its part of the difference
leaving me side by side
i can remember that everything's black and white
i don't even know why i am falling down, down

i can believe everything's fine
all in your days, all in your time
and i know your name
and i know your shame

and i am
what i am
just a shell
almost spent

the only one that matters
a sense of pride
i can break my back
and still let this die

here i say
leaving me side by side

leaving me side by side

i can believe everything's fine
all in my mind, all in your time
and i know your name
and i know your shame

Critique
Text
The author is definitely trying to cope with a breakup of some kind. That is clear. He is hurt, disappointed and confused yet at the same time he is hopeful that there will be a reconsiliation. I really like the poetic language here. It is different than "Sebastian" in that this song uses a more descriptive, almost etherial text. The language almost rolls of the tongue in that way. "Sebastian" was also descriptive but more in a story telling way. You get to know the girl/lady in Sebastian through accounts of her life. Here, the author describes his feelings but there is not any story telling. You do not know who broke up or why, but you know that it was painful. I notice that all of the songs on alexspetty's web site are attributed to two writers. My guess is that the songs were the brainchild of one or the other and then the collaboration took place. This is not a negative observation at all, as there is a definite continuity in the lyrical style.

Vocals
Wow! Alex are you the singer here? I've got to say that you (or whoever it is) is a very talented performer. You can hear the vocal control and flexibility. You can also hear the range, pitch, inflection, etc..... I can't really say anything negative at all. The singer of this song conveys the pain of the lyrics in a very expressive way. Well done. Again, your band hit the nail on the head with an outstanding vocal chorus. The harmony in the chorus is perfect. Its not too much, but it definitely separates the chorus from the verse. The backup line is also well done. I love the switch into falsetto. In the end, the overlaying vocal is another success. That lead vocalist can really sing.

Instrumentation
Tight band Alex. Just as in Sebastian, the bass and drums are really kicking. That's quite a rhythm section. In the verses the bass and kick drum are lined up almost perfectly and it creates a really nice groove for the guitars and vocals to move over. There is also a really nice interplay between the two acoustic guitars. One is doing mostly chordal stuff, while the other is doing the linear movement. I'd be interested to hear the two guitars by themselves to see just how well that works. Its almost as if the guitars are a team, and the rhythm section is a team and the two teams are working together to make a band. And they definitely DO work together. I love the punches and hits that the entire band smacks at the same time. It adds quite a punch. There is one fill in the second verse that really tripped me out. Question: How did you guys work out those fills? Was it just from playing together and letting it happen naturally or did one of you write something and get the others to follow? Either way, its pretty good stuff. You can also hear the "two teams" mesh together in the really mellow 'afterchorus' section (i can believe, everything's fine.....). One last note. I love how powerful this song is without the use of an electric guitar. It really hits you in the face without any crunch at all. Thats hard to do.

Production
Again, a well done job. I guess there are two sides to production. The psonic quality of the recording and the musical selections that are made. First off, the psonic quality. I'm not an expert here. I can tell when something sounds bad, but its hard for me to differentiate between good sounds. All I know is that this sounds good. It sounds professional. I don't have the kind of ear that can comment on types of microphones, effects, digital v analog, etc..... Maybe someone else can jump in here, or maybe alex can comment for us. The one obvious thing to comment on, is the neat effect at the end of the track. You make it sound as if the recording morphs into an old record player, complete with a needle scratch. Thats really cool. The musical selection is awesome. Like I said earlier, I love how you've managed to make this song really kick without the use of an electric guitar. Its quite a statement. Right from get go, you just hit people in the face. I don't think there is a ton of instrumentation. Sounds to me like 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drum kit and 2 vocals. Its really raw. I like that. I also like how the chorus seems so much bigger than the verses. Is that just a volumn thing or did you subtly add some stuff that I'm not hearing?

General
Its obvious that I really like this song. All the parts are working together here. After hearing 2 of you songs alex, I am really looking forward to hearing some more. I'm curious as to how much you are playing live and how often you record. Have you ever tried to get a contract? Have you ever tried to sell your CDs? I think you could do both. Its clear that you spent a long time working on these songs and it has paid off. I write some things myself but I'm quite happy with it when I'm done. Do you feel the same way? Anyway, nice job. This is the kind of stuff I can listen to on a regular basis and I would pay money for. I hope this wasn't too long and boring, but I was inspired to do it by the music.

wow

Thanks a lot!

I cant tell you how nice I found your critique of my music. Those are truly some high compliments and I really appreciate them.

My music is in fact the result of the collabrative writing effort between me and my music partner, larry. We had a band called drumfish and shame is actually about the breakup of the band. We still play however as drumfish since the "breakup", we just stopped touring.

If you liked Sebastian, the lead vocalist on that track was Larry France. I (Alex Petty) am the vocalist on Shame. Larry and I like to arrange big vocal harmonies and set them againt, hopefully, good and interesting music.

To answer some of your questions:

Question: How did you guys work out those fills?

In the case of Shame, we decided we wanted to make the song ryhthmically impactful at certain key points and tried to accomplish that effect with the use of well pronounced "hits" between the various instrumentation.

I'm curious as to how much you are playing live and how often you record

As I mentioned, we dont play as often as I would like anymore. I do host a singer/song writer open stage in Warrenton Virginia and play once or twice a month (at best) with the band.

I haven't been in the studio in a while, but I am building a fairly suffucient home studio which is actually what brought me to this web site to begin with.

Have you ever tried to get a contract? Have you ever tried to sell your CDs? I think you could do both.

I used to tour around the country with my band doing nothing other with my life than trying to sell as many cd's as possible all the while hoping to get a record contract. But its as much about luck as hard work (as many of you know I am sure), and in the end, we werent very lucky I guess. :)

anyhow.. I hope I answered all of your questions, and again... a BIG thanks for your enthusiasm for my work. Larry and I really appreciate it. Its nice to get some praise and recognition from my fellow songwriters. :)

You said you do some recordings and that you are pretty happy with your work. Do you have that work posted online anywhere? Id love to hear it!

Thanks again,
-Alex

Alex,
Finally got this thing downloaded, at a blistering 3.2KB/Sec. what the hell, only took 40 minutes.

Outstanding work! Excellent writing, recording, guits & especially vocals.

bd

Dude this is awsome... I just listened to your other song "Mask" on another thread and I loved it, I love this one even more...
killer vocals/harmonies... kinda reminds me a bit of Hoobastank...

Damn nice stuff man.... excellent recording....lyrics.... its all good....

Ok time for a 4th listen...hehe

Back