Could I Get Some Feedback on this Song Demo (Production, Mix, etc)..

destorctr,
I see you from fla. Where area you from. I grew up in North Brevard, around Titusville.

I liked the song. I thought it was well written.

I could not listen in "Hi-Fi" mode because of my crappy dial-up connection and server.

What I heard sounded good before the connection started re-buffering. I listened to all in "lo-Fi".

Would you explain your recording technique for the backing vocal?

What did you multi-track to?

That is a very nice tune. Sounds well laid out. At times the vocals seem a bit lost, and the drum sounds do not meet the sound quality of the rest of the song. Good Country Tune. Great aray of layers. Overall a great job, I would just work at the drums a bit more.

Fangar

Thanks for your input! (Here's A Gear List)

Thanks guys for your input! Seems like it took me forever to get through the learning curve to get to this point. I'm more of a musician than a tech-guy. Reading these forums and asking questions and getting ideas have really helped me. I don't know if I could have done this without the help of these forums.

I'm a one man person on this production: Writing playing and singing everything in my bedroom studio:

1. Pentium III - 800
2. 192 mg RAM
3. 8g (5400) and 40g (7200) hard drives
4. Sound card: Audiophile 2496
5. Sonar (about 27 tracks of audio -
still running smooth at 16 bit)
6. Plugins - mostly used Timeworks 4080L
Reverb (Just a little on Vocals)
7. Mastered with T-RACKS
8. Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer
9. Monitors: Event 20/20
10. Hafler P1500 poweramp
11. Road NT2 mic for vocals & acoustic
guitar
12. '66 Strat with Line 6 POD2
13. EF-340S Takamine acoustic guitar
14. Fender Precision - 5 string bass
15. Alesis QS-8 - for drums and piano

All other input would be very welcome, Norm

Hey Norm.
I can relate to that curve you mention. It's difficult. I also owe a bunch of my knowledge to the guy/gals here.
I'm also the only one here. So many things to know, so many things to forget, so many mistakes to make.

Good job on that song, and good luck with your recording.

Me too. I run a one-man show in my studio.

Norm, how did you record the backing vocals and how many voices are there?

I guess with a one man show it's a lot easier to win the argument you might get into if there were others involved.
Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. Winning is the main thing.

But on the other hand losing the argument may mean a better idea by someone else.

That's why when I argue with myself about things I always let myself lose now and then.

Yeah Norm, tell us about the back up, and how you came upon the lyrics. The title is really nice.

Sennheiser

Sennheiser

I record the backing vocals last.
There are 6 tracks, three parts.
Two parts on top of the lead vox, and one part under.
I recorded the part right above the lead vox first.
Panned it hard Left.
Recorded another track of the same part and panned it hard right.
Repeated the same process on the other two parts.

(Left) High Part (Right) High Part
(Left) First Part (Right) First Part
LEAD VOX
(center)
(Left) Low Part (Right) Low Part

Norm, I just noticed that you cross posted this tune. Not busting you chops, it's just a no no. It makes it easier to deal with if you put tunes in one place (the MP3 clinic) and you don't have 2= threads burning up bandwidth for the same song.

Back