Copyrights and Slang

JerryD

When you fill out a PA form.

Should you use the exact words in the song (Slang).

Or use the correct spelling of the words?

Example: Gotta

Clear

I guess what I meant was if your song has slang. Do you use the same slang when you copyright the song?

Country music ya know.

Just keep it the same. You can use all the slang you want - but if you copyright something spelled a certain way, put it on your album that way, and register it with BMI/ASCAP that way. Sounds like a no brainer, but you would be surprised how many songwriters don't do this.

This isn't a legal thing, it just makes songs easier to identify if they are reported. It makes my life easier as well.

Also, if you want, the PA form has an alternate title field.
So do song registration forms with ASCAP/BMI.

So if you record the song "I gotta get movin' B4 da train come in"
you can also put "I've got to get moving before the train comes in" as an alternate title on both the copyright form and the performing rights society's form. Just increases your odds at getting royalties if the song gets performed. People who fill out cue sheets for radio/TV sometime use poetic license when writing down song titles.

Brad

copyright strengths

do any of you kind folks know about copyrighting in Canada it may be a cheaper process for me. Being canadian our dollar sucks compared to yours so I was wondering about the pros and cons using a U.S. versus Canadain system

Back