Conducting a study about singers. Your help is much appreciated.

pueyol

Hi Singers,

I’m conducting a study about singers (professional or not), so I created this relatively quick survey in order for me to know more about your genres, challenges, skills and expectations. Would you mind taking a couple of minutes off your time to answer it? It is a short 24 questionnaire. It is anonymous so no name or email required. Thank you! https://www.surveylegend.com/l/4rc

Cheers
pueyol

i completed the survey, but there were some tricky questions. A couple of examples:

"When did I start singing passionately"? I started singing when I was about 15, but I don't recall that I was ever 'passionate' about it.

I record at "home", but also in a "recording studio" because they are one and the same.

Hi zzed, thank you for taking your time to do the survey and also giving me some feedback. I have updated my survey to make it more clear.

For those of you who have done my survey, thank you very much. If you have any feedback, please do not hesitate to share it here.

Cheers
pueyol

The survey is one of the worst I've seen. I'm speaking with my ex-teacher head on. You have used your own issues to formulate the questions and assumed far too much about the people doing the survey being similar. Many questions rule out answering others. Are you professional? This then makes the question that asks about wanting to become professional impossible. You also selected very weird questions, and didn't put in other boxes so people could tell you what they really do. Other are so subjective they will produce really flawed data. The question about singing passionately, for example. I have never sung passionately in my life. All my singing involves songs with quite trivial lyrics, often quite silly, but they rhyme. I can't get passionate about singing lyrics that mainly consist of dooo-aaaah - wahoo - and repeated references to fun, girls, surf and cars.

Many also can only have one answer when I wanted to tick more than one. The questions are going to produce flawed data because people can only answer in their own context. Most of my singing involves harmonies - so singing in tune, without running out of breath, up high is almost every single song. All important.

From my teaching background I get the feeling you are using the survey to produce evidence to back up a theory or viewpoint you already have formed?

I can tell you that as a survey, it will not produce data that is accurate, reliable and robust. That is guaranteed. Other questions don't even allow the right answers because you think you've included all the possibilities - like the singing getting better ones. I take advice from better singers than me in my band, and professional singers I work with who are better than me. That doesn't fit your prescription.

Changing the questions once a survey starts also wrecks the data. You can't do it without totally starting again, because early respondees will have formed answers to fit the questions asked. Change the questions and some of them would have picked different answers - but you don't know who?

Good singers can advise poorer ones. professional singers will have different advice based on their knowledge and history. Professional singing teachers will give advice contrary to singers, because they will know many different techniques and can provide balanced answers.

Would Bob Dylan make a good singing coach to somebody who sings ballads? How would he answer the tuning questions?

Would an opera singer be able to advise Dylan on how a song should be sung. Would Paloma Faith be able to advise a cruise ship MoR singer on how to do it properly? Scrub that - she already does. (UK TV viewers will get this one)

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I agree this survey by no mean perfect. I will continue to update it as feedback are pouring in. I do agree this way it will totally wreck my data. But I believe, sooner or later it will reach to a point where no major changes are required. Then data will be more accurate as I will be able to pull up reports on the survey to the later dates.

I am using a free version, thus there are limitation on the survey platform I am using. For example, on the multiple selection there is no option for participants to write anything on the others button. So what I did was to give as many options as possible. If it fell to others, I would consider it as outside survey's parameter.

Cheers
pueyol

Back