Yep another booth thread

BLP

Ok. So my recording booth is about 5' wide and 9' tall

I made a thread a few weeks ago bout it asking bout acoustic foam I put into it.

attachment.php

here is the actual foam I used inside

attachment.php

Yes I know the lava lamp is a fire hazard it's long been broke and gone :D

Well my intentions for this booth is for vocals strictly.

I've noticed that I have to use EQ on my vocals and turn down the gain on my low end to sound better

The reason I like the booth is because I'm in a garage and I record mostly hip hop and R n B so only thing I have to do is record vocals and mix them to the instrumental. So I use the booth to have a quiet clean vocal.

If I'm having to use EQ on my vocals and turn down the gain on the low end is it because of the size of the booth or the acoustic foam?

Let's pretend that I don't want to tear down my booth and record in one room.

What is my other options?

Will taking the foam out and covering the walls with atleast 4" of Rigid Fiberglass or rockwool or both and trapping ceiling as deep as 18" as recommend here make a HUGE difference? Or will I have same problem I'm having now due to a 5'wide 9' tall booth?

When someone says trap ceiling as deep as 18" what would I be using to trap it that deep?

Currently I have the same foam as the walls on the ceiling and carpet on the floor

Basically, if you had to use this 5' wide 9' tall booth for recording hip hop vocals how would you get the best use out of it (without tearing it down!)

I was told to have 4" of rigid fiberglass but this description says

This is Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass board in a case of 6 24 x 48 x 2 inch pieces.

what do I do just stack two pieces together?

What do I trap the ceiling with?

I was told to have 4" of rigid fiberglass but this description says

This is Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass board in a case of 6 24 x 48 x 2 inch pieces.

what do I do just stack two pieces together?

What do I trap the ceiling with?

OC703 is not faced with paper or anything, so, yeah you can stack two pieces. It does come in 4" thick pieces though. You can also look into rockwool products such as Roxul (aka "safing", fire safing and/or "woo woo"). You're never going to make a room that small sound good. The best you can hope for is dead. So, really you're just chasing bad money with more money.

My original advise stands. I'd tear that booth out in a heartbeat and treat the room. The "booths" in most pro studios are probably about the size of your entire room. :) There's no reason you can't get a quiet, clean vocal in a much better sounding large treated space. Then you'll get the added benefit of a better mixing space also.

your foam is only taming the high frequencies, and leaving the lower ones to make your vocals seem too low and muddy. that, and you probably have way too much for its intent. start by pulling off about 1/3 or 1/2 of the foam you have on the walls, and don't put any foam on the floor. then get some acoustic panels and straddle the corners to tame the bass.

Do u recommend taking the top half off or the bottom half and should I keep or take it off ceiling. I'm processing the vocals in a daw so a dead room would work fine I'm assuming

Do u recommend taking the top half off or the bottom half and should I keep or take it off ceiling. I'm processing the vocals in a daw so a dead room would work fine I'm assuming

When you say "dead" it's important to make the following qualification: you want the room to be "dead" across the frequency spectrum, not just in the mids and highs. To that end you'll want to keep the foam at the bottom half and replace the top half with panels.

if its 5 x 5 x 9 then some of its problem will be its square on 4 sides which i'm no expert is a problem . The foam is not dense enough to tame it.

the problem is that 703 4" thick might not be enough and by the time you get enough in there. there will proberly not be alot of room left.

it would proberly be better to take it down and build two free standing traps to stand behind.

i know booths look cool but at this size they are a knightmare to treat

ok without tearing it down .......................................

how high is the ceiling out side the booth ?
just wondering about removing the top and fitting a cloud above the booth.
i dont know if this would make the booth bigger in an acoustic sence :confused: since the sound can escape

do you have an se reflection filter this will stop alot of reflections going into the mic.

corner bass traps would help the triangle ones stacked ontop of each other floor to ceiling.(preferably something abit denser than 703.

sos magazine treated a booth with some fibreglass wich was 200kg/m3 an air gap then some hesian underlay another air gap and some sound barrier matting another air gap and some more hesian underlay.

so you can see its not going to be cheap to sort out when space is limited

if its 5 x 5 x 9 then some of its problem will be its square on 4 sides which i'm no expert is a problem . The foam is not dense enough to tame it.

the problem is that 703 4" thick might not be enough and by the time you get enough in there. there will proberly not be alot of room left.

it would proberly be better to take it down and build two free standing traps to stand behind.

i know booths look cool but at this size they are a knightmare to treat

I'm going measure it with a tape measure. It's not exactly on 5ft it might be alittle more on some walls

When you say "dead" it's important to make the following qualification: you want the room to be "dead" across the frequency spectrum, not just in the mids and highs. To that end you'll want to keep the foam at the bottom half and replace the top half with panels.

Dead means I can edit any way I want right?

I have KRK Rokit 6's sitting on my desk on the outside of the booth. The booth keeps outside noises from coming in very well almost perfect when I'm recording vocals. That is why I use it. It's not use for looks or anything, it's use for isolating the vocal inside it.

My friend who went to college for recording says the booths they used where only slightly bigger.

So I'm not fully understanding why yall say my booth is too small unless my guess on it's measurements are way off

Back