Wiring my studio.

JCphotog

I'm re-wiring my studio, and I was curious about your favorite in-wall wires for balanced signals? I've heard a lot of positive things about Belden 1800F, though I'm looking for something on the more affordable side since I have to make a bunch of 30-60 ft runs...

Any thoughts?

Cool..

Cool link. Though I only found one bulk roll of mic cable offered. I couldn't find any UL ratings since it's going to be an in-wall cable. But the prices are good!

Any other thoughts about in wall wires or comparisons to the Belden 1800f?

Yeah..

Yeah.. It's a cool site, I wish they posted more specs other than the gauge. The prices are really cheap.. Has anyone here ever created in wall mic cables that has an opinion for their favorite cable?

There are tons out there.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. There are only a few actual cable manufacturers, and everybody's just OEM for them. Horizon, Comprehensive, Belden..whatever. It's all the same stuff more or less. If you need a lot of it, just buy a 1000' spool from Belden and call it a day. I don't see unterminated mic or line level wire on Monoprice...:confused:

Frank

Sure. Like anything else. Though even on Belden's site there are a ton of options, which is why I was looking for a little experience. I posted a link above of the one bulk type the mono has. My biggest concern is the UL rating which is required for in wall wires. If it was a mic cable no problem.

I'm doing 4 runs about 55-60 feet or so. Basically putting the board on one side of the room, and the amps on the other side...

Sure. Like anything else. Though even on Belden's site there are a ton of options, which is why I was looking for a little experience. I posted a link above of the one bulk type the mono has. My biggest concern is the UL rating which is required for in wall wires. If it was a mic cable no problem.

I'm doing 4 runs about 55-60 feet or so. Basically putting the board on one side of the room, and the amps on the other side...

20 or 22AWG 3-con is what you want...I can't remember the product number right off the top of my head. It's all UL listed as I recall, so that shouldn't be any problem.

Frank

in wall.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think everything is rated for in wall use. I've read on a bunch of sites that it needs to be CL-2 or CL-3 which has to do how the casing of the wire handles heat. For that matter, some wires pull better through the wall. The really flexible stage cables can break in the process. There's usually a rating of how much force you can exert on a wire. Some wires you can pull 100lb's and it will be ok, others not. Some times it gets tough to pull a bunch of wires through a 3/8" hole.

There's some good mic cable discussion here.

Though the only one that I see that has a CL2 rating is the 1800F...

Are you talking about plenum cable? Is that it? I can tell you that anything Belden makes that is UL listed should be fine for in-wall use. If it's a plenum-rated space then you may need cable with a plenum jacket, but that should be the only exception. I was an A/V design engineer for years...designed and installed thousands of spaces. I know that various counties vary somewhat on code, but probably not THAT much. :)

Frank

It's been a few years, so I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that the Belden mic and speaker cable we used was CL-1 and/or CL-2. What I can say without a shadow of doubt is that I've installed it in thousands of spaces, most of which were inspected for subsequent public use, and it was acceptable every time in dozens and dozens of different counties.

Frank

Back