the vocal booth in the control room ! taking shape..

Spider

hi all , well i dont know if any one remembers reading my post on this subject .. well today was the big day and im absolutely ecstatic about the results.. (mmm , ecstatic!) I know how many people , myself included (hey i was stuck with this one place to put the booth) thought this wouldnt work and would take to much soundproofing.. well im certainly not claiming it to be soundproof .. Just to recap on what it was all about , here goes ...
Well i have a large wall unit in the control room. Its about 4 meters long and stands at about two and a bit meters high. Behind it is a space about two feet wide and the same length as the unit. Well my plan was (and is now) to fill in the top section (consists of the space from the top of the unit to the ceiling ) with 22mm particle board , for the cowboys chipboard.. Theres an opening ( a door just about) at the front which ive now put two doors on that i made from the 32mm particle board. They are really only half dorrs , they open out in both of them.. But basically this sets the scene for what im trying to do.. Dont forget this is in the control room , my monitors are very close too , well close to the booth anyway.. So my next intention , probly tommorrow , is to totally seal this area behind the unit.. i was planning on filling up any small gaps with a white gap filler .. if i can totally seal this area , im hoping it should keep most the noise out.. Well ive just put up the basic pannelling (particle board) and it looks great .. also i was so amazed that i could sit the NT1 in there , close the door , play a pre recorded mix and solo just the rode ... not a sound , dead quiet.. Mind u i am using a gate on the vocal channel , -60db (hardly worth it i hear u say , or is it) with a moderate ratio , about half.. Seems great though , i cant wait to totally seal it all ... am i going to get a build up of dead musicians in there cos of no ventilation..?? The studio and control room are non smoking and theres usually pretty good ventilation to the control room , its just i was looking at having sections , youll have to imagine real hard here, so as you walk through the two opening doors in the booth straight in front of u is a semi heavy curtain , through this and just to the right (now facing the mike) im putting up another curtain , a little heavier this time .. So it may get a little stuffy in there ... Between takes we can just leave the doors open , but should i seriously consider some ventilation back there ?? well ill try and post some pics cos it must be hard to imagine this thing .. But it seems the thing this has going for it is the sheer thickness of the wall seperating the control room and the booth(this wall being the wall unit) , as u can imagine its about the thickness of a chest of drawers .. Ill probly end up filling up all the storage compartments , ie. shelves , cupboards etc.. with some sort of treatment to increase either acoustics in the room or the soundproofing factor of the booth.... well just thought i would let everyone know its getting there , and ill get some picks up as soon as its finished... cheers all.....

[Edited by Spider on 09-28-2000 at 14:43]

Back