Treating/Working on the school studio: HELP!

Drumz519

So, I attend a music school as a music performance major and music business minor but I'm trying to really get a decent recording program going there. There is a record label run by students through the music business institute and they basically have a small room as a control room and a large rehearsal room as the live space.

I'm looking for the most cost effective/DIY ways to help treat the control room. I'm including pictures just to give you an idea of the space (read: crappiest sounding room ever).

My estimated specs of the room:
  • 15'x20'x10'
  • Concrete Walls on three walls, drywall for the forth (divider between two control rooms)
  • Floor is linoleum tile (currently has fine carpet on it as pictured)
  • Some Auralex foam was put up on the wall behind the desk (probably not doing much)

There are some serious nodes/lulls in the room and I'm kind of at a loss for how to treat the space. We're kind of limited on placement of the desk and aside from putting in nails, nothing we do can be permanent.

ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated. As I did my best to imply, I'm quite a n00b on this one.

Studio3.jpg

Studio1.jpg

Studio2.jpg

You really need to move the desk to a wall where you can be set up with better symmetry. You're way off to one side and one monitor is basically in a corner.

As for treatment, if you're going to DIY, make some 4" thick panels and put them on DIY stands. Treat corners straddling, the wall behind the mix position (behind your head) and the reflection points.

The ceiling will be trickier if it's concrete too but you'll need to treat it somehow. Might need to build an arch of sorts to get a mounting point over your head.

Bryan

Back