Treating mixing environment

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com
I mix in my bedroom on M-Audio BX-5's. I'm going to be mixing my bands album so im looking to do anything i can to get the best result, but this involves spending minimally.

Attached is a very rough layout of my bedroom. You can see the desk is in the corner, and one of the monitors is in the very corner of the room. Not ideal i know, i might be able to move the desk to the main wall on the left for the mix, but i'd rather not if its possible, everything fits in nicely as it is.

I've done some reading, i was thinking that maybe my biggest problem and first thing to sort is the wall to the right of the desk which i almost sit against. I was thinking since the room is quite long (est 6-8m) and the back wall is not parallel, reflections from here would be less of a problem. I thought some 703/rockwool panelling on the right wall might help.

I'm fully aware i'm asking what might be perceived as a noob question :)

Attachments

• ROOM.JPG
    ROOM.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks Ethan, due to the dimensions of the room and the stuff i have to fit in there, thats not really possible.

I could move the desk to the long right hand wall, and perhaps even pull it out a foot or 2 from the wall so the speakers aren't against the wall. Do you think thats worth doing?

Thanks

Well than that's it! Move your bed and sofa to the basement for that bedroom is now an official recording space. ;)

:cool:

Thanks, from your article i got the impression that the early reflection absorbers will have the biggest impact, someone else on these forums seems to say always start with bass trapping.

I tried soloing my monitors and noticed a large amount more bass when the one in the corner was solo'd as opposed to the other. i see what you mean!

Last edited:
Spent the last couple hours moving my room round totally, got the desk exactly where you suggested Ethan.

Huge difference. Also got monitors raised by 5 or 6 inchs up to ear level, stereo image is much cleaner, theres LESS bass for sure it it just sounds cleaner.

Next up treating first reflection points :)

My room is pretty big, like 4m ish wide and about twice that long, will it actually be beneficial to treat early reflection points still? I'm sitting less than 1m from my monitors.

Also i notice a lot of people treating the area behind their monitors, is this just a misconception?

Attachments

• al.jpg
    al.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back