Temp. Closet Treatment

Flubly

So I live in an apartment where I can't really do anything to the walls. I also probably won't be here for all that long so I want to be able to easily take all the stuff out.

I really can't justify spending a lot on this because it's 100% hobby and the majority of the income needs to go elsewhere. Right now I'm saying the budget is $300.

What I want is to treat the room as well as possible for neutral/flat within this budget. I'm not expecting it to come out fully neutral. It's a 21 square foot rectangular closet and I know small rooms need thicker treatment. I'm expecting to hear some unwanted artifacts even after spending the money.

As I said, it's a 21 square foot rectangle and 8 feet high. It's also carpeted.

My first thought was this: get as many blankets as possible (I know they're not even close to ideal but it's better than bare walls), get a bunch of jumbo and large command strips with hooks, thumb tack the blankets onto the wall, punch holes into them and put them on the hooks. This way I could incrementally add blankets. With each jumbo strip holding up to 7.5 lbs and the large ones holding up to 5 lbs, I think I could distribute the weight enough and take some of the stress off with thumbtacks on the first layer at least. I understand it's a tossup with blankets which frequencies are being absorbed, but I'm just looking for a more controlled environment, not an ideal environment.

I still think that might be better than buying cheap foam (the kind that isn't tested for proper absorption) because only a single layer of that wouldn't really be dense enough to justify even the small investment.

Other thoughts I've had while perusing this forum and others: Laying down plywood or MDF on the floor. Buying six 4" boards of 703 and leaning them up against the walls and corners strategically.

I would probably use 4 of them at the bottom of the room. The other 2, well I'd like to basstrap overhead but I can't do anything to the ceiling. There's a shelf and lips over the two doors. Perhaps I could put weights on the shelf and then lean the 703 diagonally across and rest on the door lips.

Closets only work as "booths" in the movies. The only thing I've ever done to a closet to make it even reasonably workable was to tear out all the drywall (walls, ceiling) and fill the studs with 703 (then cover with cloth & strips).

And even then - The room the closet is attached to is almost universally a better place to be anyway.

Closets are for noisy equipment - With a decent door, you don't even need any treatment.

In any case, no matter what you put in there, the only way it's even going to pass "hobby" muster is to leave the door open. Assuming a cardiod pattern mic, you want the mic just inside the door (and facing as such) and the subject is going to be projecting out into the open room while the "somewhat deadened" closet is simply being used as reflection control. But the last thing you're going to want is to have all that energy bouncing around in there (hence, leaving the door opened) or projecting into a corner of the closet or something goofy like that (also a popular TV and movie method).

No doubt, straddling the corners with 703 is going to be far more effective in the problematic frequencies (although 6 pieces of 2x4x4 is only going to make a dent in what you're going to need in such a small space) but you're still going to need to tame the completely out-of-control amount of mid and upper mid, along with the uber-nasty comb filtering common to a closet-sized space.

Then I guess my main problems are the computer and the window in the main room. Should I make some kind of insulated case for the CPU (maybe out of layered eDead v4) that's only put on when recording takes (don't want to overheat)? The window, I don't even know, I'll have to research how I could do that cheaply. The closet doors block out most of the road noise that leaks every once in a while into the room. I was going to put weather strips on to get a little more edge onto them.

EDIT: Maybe I could make a double sided MDF plug with this in between the boards: http://www.supersoundproofingsales....ick-by-48-wide-per-foot/productinfo/09-42760/

Also, I'm guessing I need to go ahead and just do what I mapped out in my first post. Whether the door is open or closed isn't really going to change what I put on the walls inside.

Last edited:
If I had to do a vocal booth that small, I'd go with superchunks (like our TriTraps or Soffits) in the corners with 6" panels on the walls & ceilings - if not, I'd just completely deaden it with R30 on all the walls and cover it with fabric

Back