Tar paper?

Chadwick

What is the deal with hanging tarpaper on the studs before attaching the sheetrock? Is this worth the cost and effort or is this another egg crate myth? I've read about this but never seen any detailed results. Anyone know how much the sound isolation will be increased if any?

I'm converting an existing room with existing single 2x4 constructed walls. My plan is to hang sheetrock/sound board/sheetrock on RC. The sound board is the half inch thick stuff from Home Depot that comes in 4x8 sheets. Will this sandwiched between the sheetrock be worthwhile or should I use another type of material? Keep in mind, IM BROKE.

Thanks,
Chad

When we laid a new wood floor in our house, we put tar paper between the floorboards and the planks to help prevent squeaks and creaks. Not sure how well it worked since the floor creaks like a mofo anymore, but might have even been worse without it.

No tar paper behind our sheetrock, though...

I doubt that tar paper is really dense enough to do much good.
The prefered method would be to put up 5/8" strand board followoed by 5/8" sheetrock, followed by another layer of 1/2" sheetrock.
Set up this multi-layered system so that the seams in each layer stagger and overlap.
What you want to do; sheetrock/soundboard/sheetrock is probably really, really good too!

Chadwick said:
Strandboard? What is that?
Flakeboard??
Big giant flakes of wood glued together and pressed into a 4'x8' sheet. Kinda like plywood without the plys. Usually used for the decking on roofs.

Gotcha. If I remember right, ts pretty cheap. Thanks alot. It's time to get busy on this. I think I'll use your method. I'm not looking forward to screwing this stuff into the RC. It seems like it could be a little bit of a hassle.
Later,
Bill

Chadwick said:
Gotcha. If I remember right, ts pretty cheap. Thanks alot. It's time to get busy on this. I think I'll use your method. I'm not looking forward to screwing this stuff into the RC. It seems like it could be a little bit of a hassle.
Later,
Bill
What do ya'll call it?

If I am not mistaken, I think the tarpaper acts as a moisture barrier to keep it off the framing, and is usually used on exterior walls. that's what I have always been told anyway.

RichHead said:
If I am not mistaken, I think the tarpaper acts as a moisture barrier to keep it off the framing, and is usually used on exterior walls. that's what I have always been told anyway.
Yeah, what you see in use more often is "House Wrap" or "Tyvex".
Tyvex is the same material that Fed Ex envelopes are made of.

Back