Studio Layout feedback request.

longsoughtfor

Searching for the sound
Hello all - I plan on building a studio in my basement. The simple objective is to build a space where I can make really good audio recordings for the given space. I have come up with several possible plans and settled on one for the time being. What I am looking for is constructive feedback on what I have and suggestions for improvement. I am just concentrating on the room construction at the moment and I assume I will need some acoustic treatments once the rooms are done.

So, the floorplan is at:
http://www.longsoughtfor.org/studio/floorplan.html

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

There are others here that know shitloads more than me, but the only obvious thing I would say is to get rid of the parallel walls where ever possible. Play around with the plans and see if you can alter the common wall between the live and control rooms.
Also keeping the control room symetrical from side to side would be an advantage.

Anyone else care to comment?

Peace..........ChrisO :cool:

I agree with ausrock about the parallel walls... they need to change! One thing I was wandering was... what software did you use to make the plans?

Thanks Ausrock - I'll look at that.

Jeronimo - I used 3D Home Architect, an old copy (on diskette :) )

Cheers.

AAAARRRGGG! I am attemping to make the live room side of the double wall non parallel but the #%*&^$ tool has a grain of about 8'! I'm sure I don't need to be off parallel by that much.

Are there any rules of thumb of how non-parallel two walls should be? I mean, my normal carpentry skills will keep them from being perfectly parallel :) But over a 15' span would a foot be enough?

Cheers.

The point of non-parallel walls is to minimise standing waves forming and from memory I think 12 degrees is an accepted offset between two walls.

Also consider building bass traps into some of the corners (bass frequencies love to accumulate in corners). Ultimately you have to decide whether you need a "live" or "dead" tracking room or something in between and treat the walls, etc accordingly.

The control room is different again.........being relatively small I would think the "deader" the better so all you will hear is your monitors without any room colouration.

Peace.........ChrisO :cool:

Thanks John - I appreciate your response. I do have a problem though in that moving the heater and oil tank is not in the budget. :(

I was thinking more along the lines of your "Garage Studio 2" except side by side.

From your sketch I assume you would emphasize the size (and comfort) of the control room over the size of the live room(s)?

Cheers
Kevin.

Would something like this be better?

i.e. fewer parallel walls & a larger control room at the cost of a smaller live room.

Cheers
Kevin.

Attachments

• flrplnx2.jpg
    flrplnx2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 64
I did as John said, every wall at 6 degres, and I am very pleased. As for accoustics I just simply used diffusion on rear wall. Wish you luck and welcome back JOHN.

OK, so I put on my thinking cap rather then just reaching for the crayon and napkin, and came up with the attached. I'm thinking it should do... None of the dimesions are accurate angles either for that matter, it is just the concept. It does use more of the basement, but my wife is OK with that. I'll have to build a shed for the mower though :)

Cheers and Thanks
Kevin.

Attachments

• newplan.jpg
    newplan.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 60
Yup - that's the one - it was going to be my next suggestion.:D
It would be interesting how far you can go under the staircase. An angled front ceiling isn't a bad idea.

cheers
John

Yeah, I think the next step is to work out the exact dimensions and do an elevation. The house is hot air heated, so I have a couple of air ducts in the celing to deal with. Hopefully, funds will become available soon and I can actually stop drawing and start hammering.

Cheers
Kevin.

Back